OS Upgrade: Digitakt 1.30

Got myself a digitakt again, after using the OT for about 2,5 years. I mean, I like the OT and what it’s capable of, but man, the DT feels just like coming home. All the muscle memory is still there, the UI is so much more inviting, everything happens without really having to think about it (as opposed to how I used the OT, where everything seemed to just take one step too many for me).
The new possibilities with the additional filters and LFOs just knock it out of the park. I almost forgot how useful p-lockable LFOs are, or how flexible it is on the DT in comparison to the OT. Getting the mix right with mono samples and send effects is also much less of a hassle than the (fun) mess I mostly ended up with on the OT. In short, I think my OT journey has come to an end. Welcome back, DT! :heart:

14 Likes
off topic

I didn’t know that. Just checked the manual and it’s confirmed.
Never noticed.

3 Likes

Sorry, just wanted to express my love for the new features of the DT but rambled a bit.

2 Likes

Very clever design this

Does anyone know things about the gainstaging of the external input mixer?
I try to use it along a Eurorack with some – potentially lots of – feedback and such, and it would be good to know where unity gain is. Is it at 100? At 127? Do the preamps boost or attenuate the incoming signal by default to some extent?

Any idea if that’s possible? Would be such a killer feature “workaround”

Don’t know the amount of amplification but it’s enough to connect a electric guitar straight in. Connected the digitone and had to reduce the input between 20-35 to prevent clipping so Eurorack i suggest to start at 10 and try to match level with a sequenced normalized kickdrum sample on basic level from DT. The build in compressor could add some gain to so be gentle with the input levels to leave enough headroom

1 Like

Ah I see, so I guess ultimately it comes down to trial and error. Thanks for the pointers though, haven’t tried going into the lower 10-20 range!

In yesterday’s session I managed to get things going so that the knob twists in the eurorack are in a comfortable “range” for the feedback – and not have everything falling totally out of whack when barely brushing against the potentiometer – but I noticed there was quite a bit of noisefloor coming up pretty quickly.

edit: just occured to me that the compressor could turn out to be a good tool for keeping feedback in check too! Oh man, update 1.30 is giving me so much things to try

Both DT an DN manual : input level +19dB peak. Not quite clear how to read that but if the input level works as an attenuator and you bring in line/modular level you don’t need 19dB boost on that.

1 Like

Did not play Digitakt for a while. Installed the new OS, everything worked smoothly (except of Windows does not wanting to recognize Digitakt’s USB-MIDI without reboot).
Created a new pattern utilizing both 2 LFOs and 2 filters on every track. So far so good, everything is working exactly as expected.

Digitakt became even better abstract ambient looper (my primary use case)!

1 Like

Great summary video:

1 Like

Came here to say this. Most of these should be / maybe / hopefully possible for other gear. Suddenly a second lfo, better lfo screen and base filter for AR looks no longer like a pipe dream

2 Likes

I have the exact same issue except my latency is 90ms!

Digitakt arrived today!! :star_struck: ( My First Elektron Box :heart_eyes:

23 Likes

It’s a GREAT first box! Digitakt forevs

5 Likes

Same bro Same… 60ms here.
I´ve sent an email to Elektron and this was their response:
“We are aware of this issue and are investigating the cause. I hope we will be able to deliver a fix soon. Sorry for the inconvenience!”

Hopefully we´ll get an update for that soon.

I´ve fixed one time using a negative midi sync delay from Ableton, but it only worked one time, now it get’s stuck in +60ms no matter what delay I set on Ableton.

1 Like

yes but on audio tracks only, not midi, and i think it’s something you have to p-lock, can’t just fire off retrigs “live” that I’m aware of.

anyway to do it I think you hold down a step then press the up or down arrows and it pops up a graphic showing retrig options… might be slightly off on how to do it, it’s been a while, but it’s something close to that

is there no Q on the base width filter?? in OT and MM that’s like 75% of the fun is that brutal screaming resonance distortion

how do i route the octatrack into the digitakt to get its own track using overbridge?
it plays the audio through the digitakt vst also now??
i want a separate track for input left and right…

never mind, you just have to turn down the mix volume it seems

1 Like

Yes. Like on every OB devices with Inputs. If you increase the Mix Level, you will send the Audio to the Main Outputs.

1 Like