OS 1.30B OT mk1 slice playback? (resolved - Attr>Quantize trig=direct)

Aha. OK. Must pay attention to QPL then.
Yes that explains why they play when stopped

cheers

2 Likes

I have a beat and I have sliced it into 8 slices, its a 4 bar beat so thats all 2 beat slices (8 16ths each)

I want to manual trig the slices but make sure I can get them timed right. I have trig mode as slices and it works great, very fun but I am stepping on the end of the proceeding slice a little each time.

I have tried setting the QPL value and the mirrored value in the Audio Editor to 8. I still seem to be able to immediately trig the samples as if it was in Direct i guess. They just start immediately when I press a trig key. I have verified it is not.

I have gotten the same results in Plays free, with it set to 8/16. Nothing ever seems to actually wait for the previous sample to complete playing before the next starts.

I must be missing a setting somewhere? Any tips are very welcome, thanks!

Try with a new project, QPL works for me with mentioned settings, for slices and plays free.

BUT, in Live Rec mode, slices were not played quantized.
Known bug? 1.30B

1 Like

The Octatrack does not “wait for the previous sample to complete playing before the next starts”.
Sounds like you need to get your slices sliced better :hocho: or the pitch or time stretch is wrong ?

Do you have the sequencer running?
If not they trig immediately as if set to “direct”…

1 Like

Tested this on 1.25H
Quantized slice launch not working for live record, only works when playing over a playing track…
Also tested slots mode and tracks mode, same, not working with live record…

1 Like

Hello all and thank you for your replies. I don’t know why but i didn’t get notified so only just found them.

Well, you were right, it does work. Typical, what was required was just more time and focus on my part :slight_smile:

Having the sequencer running, makes perfect sense as usual. Though I do feel like I tried that before.

I was able to get quantized trigs in both live record and just generally free playing it. My beat is the same as before 4 bars chopped to 8 slices so each slice is 2 beats or 8/16ths which is exactly the setting I used in the ATTR window for the sample.

Also this is half a bar. What happens is as long as I trig the sample before half a bar has past since the a slice was last trigged the next slice will hit on the 9th step of the measure.

Also as usual, it does lead to more questions though. ( any thoughts welcome but i will be digging in more too myself )

1. What if I have varying slice lengths? Like a few that are half the bar and a few that are quarter bar. Is there a way to just always have the next slice wait to the end of the current even if they are differing length? That would get messy unless slices are all very precise and would take away flexability.

2. Setup as I describe, slice playback always starts on the 1st or 9th step. just depends on what half of the measure I hit the trig in. So if the sequence is on step 11 or 15 at the moment I hit the trig, the slice begins playing on step one either way. This is actually great for keeping things nice in time, but what if I want to go off time? I guess I expected the slice to start 8 steps after I hit the trig. In fact this is clearly better because 8 steps later would be just as sloppy.

I have been digging while composing this and finding some weird, but wonderful, stuff though I am not really sure what is happening just yet… I did just want to say thanks for the responses and acknowledge that they were of use.

Even though I get frustrated at times I am constantly amazed at how well this machine is thought out.

3 Likes

:sketchy: QPL will stay the same if you vary slice lengths.

So it can be played quantized in Live Rec mode ?

Yes, its working in Live Rec Mode. Also I did as suggested and started a new project, who knows what I may have had set when I was trying before.

It’s Quantized in a way… as I described, if sequencer is running, my ATT for the sample(slot?) is set to 8/16 then while in live record if I hit a trig key the sample I mean to trig will go at the next 1st or 9th step which ever is relevant. So not quantized like 8 steps after I hit the trig it plays the sample. Slightly different.

Better I think actually for practical reasons. AND I did just experiment, laying trigs in grid mode does not obey the delay so you can program with direct style response too. Pretty sweeet really.

Now there is ALSO the QRec setting in the personalize menu, which I have on. Manual says this makes live trigs fall on proper steps. Quantize in a more traditional sense I guess. Otherwise it is microtimed. There are so many interrelations on the OT that maybe it would mess up the ATT setting?

2 Likes

Like you experienced a setting of 8 will play your samples on step 1, 9, 17, 25, etc…
If you set it to 4 your samples will play on step 1, 5, 9, 13, 17, etc…
2 would be steps 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, etc…

If you really want to play off time set it to direct. When set to direct you also have an option to “quantize live record” which will quantize your live recording input to 16th notes, not while your playing but upon playback…

If you record direct without live quantize and decide you want to tighten it up, there is a function in the Track Trigs Edit Menu to quantize individual tracks. It works in stages so if you perform the function once it slightly quantizes, performing it 6 times in a row fully quantizes…

2 Likes

Yep I just realized this myself :slight_smile: . And now it too makes perfect sense. The Octatrack is very literal isn’t it :slight_smile:
Very Precise

1 Like

What OS are you on?
Live record was not obeying quantize settings when I tested on 1.25H, and @sezare56 on 1.30B…

I am on 1.30C

Are you saying that what I have described is not working for you? I am not sure I’d call it quantize in a traditional sense, though the delayed start is on the beat. So I guess it is. I also tried turning off Qrec in personalize and it did not have any effect for what I was messing with.

Funny now that I get it, at least a bit more, I like it better than what I wanted. By off time I meant triggering slices so that the kick and snare swap places, things like that. If I cut my slices to double the length of the Quantized Trig value . so a slice is 8 steps and the QT is at 4, I can do this, trigger a sample on the offbeat but still be in time. Pretty cool.

It works but only over playback and not during live record. Neither Sezare or I are on the latest OS that you are on so if it works for you with live record then might they have fixed it?..

The way that it works I do believe is most useful for quantize…
The way you were thinking it would work seems more like a “delay” than quantize, the way it is to me seems much more useful than delaying your input by a set specific amount of steps… :slight_smile:

I can install 1.30C to check but I would be surprised that it would change something for me.

@Eyetoof Are you 100% sure it is real-time quantized according to QPL/Trig Quantize setttings while in LIVE REC mode ?

Misunderstanding or bad settings for me and @Open_Mike ?

I have gone back to check closely again and you are right, it is not working in Live record. Works for live jamming, but when I hit live record the trigs layed down are not being relegated to the steps defined in the Quantize Trig setting of the Sample Slot ATTR window in the audio editor.

I am using a Flex Machine here. I am in Slices trig mode.

bummer…

2 Likes

Yes but at least we’ve confirmed it as an issue now and we ought to file bug reports…

1 Like

I’m in, but haven’t done that before, how do we do it? Should we make a vid showing the issue? Let me know how I can help.

Go to elektron.se and click on the little person icon on the top right. If you have and account log in or if not create one. Once your in there’ll be a link to make a support ticket. Just fill out the form and do your best to describe the situation as simple as you can so they can recreate it on a machine and confirm… Shouldn’t be to hard with this one…

1 Like

Ticket created. I will post as soon as I get further info.

4 Likes