A4/K/MKii Trig Conditions Thread

Wow.

They stuffed a lot more into this feature than I was expecting!
For instance…

FILL
vs
____
FILL

Using the latter mode, we now get a one button pre-programmed mute of specific trigs (internal AND CV), great for taking the snare sound locks out of that kick track you started with.

Just brilliant.

Excited to learn and discover all the different ways to make the most of this feature. I always felt Rytm was a bit better for live performace with its additional Scene mode, and perhaps it still is, but this certainly adds more spontaneity to the A4.

3 Likes

the best thing since sliced bread

yeah…this is really nice :slight_smile:
i still have to properly try things out but one thing i noticed for the Trig Condition (that’s on the AR, i’m assuming works the same on the A4 so didn’t want to open start thread) is that it’s per step…and that’s fine…but it would have been nice to have it as a normal parameter that would affect the entire sequence without having to actually go and set up each step.
i’m not complaining here, just feels normal to me to have such option…then, there might be reasons for not having it that way…either way: great job Elektron! more fun ahead :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yea, I’m guessing it was this way or no way. I suppose you could think of the default condition as 100% :slight_smile: Bring it all down to 6% would be chaos! but 96% all at once could be cool. Fortunately with the A4/AR we can perform p-locks on multiple trigs at once, and that TRC knob is the top right, just in reach of your right hand pinkie finger while the other 9 fingers (or forearms) grab trigs :joy:

From the manual, for those interested:

A Note page parameter called TRIG CONDITION (TRC) has been added. It is only available for parameter locking, and has 64 different settings. Each setting is a condition, which will decide whether or not the sequencer note should be triggered.

First trick I found is with quantization set to 100% (or high enough?), you can effectively replace a trig with a fill by using the next or previous step (if available) and adjusting the micro-timing to either extreme.

2 Likes

NICE

Big thanks to Elektron for pushing this out on a Friday evening (in Europe).

The unexpected PRE, NEI and 1st trig types are an unexpectedly brilliant bonus to those previously described in the run-up.

:+1::slight_smile:

Excellent Work Elektron!!!

Trig goodness and LFO mayhem

Thanks for keeping these analog boxes refreshed!!!

Oh man! Just laying down a 1bar drum pattern with careful use of the probability triggers and PRE gives such great variation.

And the New Trig Types are fantastic on the FX Track!

You can sorta do something to help by …
Creating 4 Trigless Locks on an empty pattern. Fn+4Trigs
P-Lock your desired TRC setting (remember tapping Enc will set TRC to Fill, default)
Make sure you select, then copy, the four by pressing the left most 1st (i.e. 1)
Now paste to 5, 9 and 13 (add new pages to taste)
(Only quicker if you want to quickly dial in a buried TRC setting across all trigs, most likely a percentage e.g.)
Now if you start realtime recording, you’re already off into aleatoric territory. Easy to make a template.
PS: You can quickly erase the whole series of TRCs by No+Enc(press) in realtime rec mode

2 Likes

also really fantastic on Trigless Locks - especially ‘shifting’ variations on longer gated (or sustaining) trigs which come and go, but leave the meat of the groove constant :+1:

1 Like

right. Exactly this - would be great even for simple use cases, e.g. if you want to simply have a hi hat line where all trigs have the same probability, e.g. 50%.
it’s a lot of tweaking or copy-pasting to achieve this right now.
you could then also adjust the “density” of the sequence just by turning one knob which would definitely be fun!
but regardless, these TRCs are funky.

On another note. Did you all notice that OS 1.22 was released on January 22 ( 1/22)?

Coincidence maybe?

Can’t say Elektron folks don’t have any sense of humor.

1 Like

A:B will be true on the A’th pattern iteration, then true again after B iterations, repeating indefinitely

Sorry, I suck at mathematical logic and can’t get this. is it supposed to mean that if I set it to say 3:4 then the trig is true 3 times every 4 iterations of the pattern (if so, what’s the difference between this and 75%) or is it true on the 3rd iteration -> true on the 4th iteration -> true on 3rd -> true on 4th and so on?

Can the Fill and not Fill function be trigger via external midi? Didn’t see anything in the readme.

I wold like to trigger the both functions with my QuNeo and automate it within Ableton.

it is true on the third out of four.
I.e.: 0 0 1 0
1:4 = 1 0 0 0
2:6 = 0 1 0 0 0 0

2 Likes

right. Exactly this - would be great even for simple use cases, e.g. if you want to simply have a hi hat line where all trigs have the same probability, e.g. 50%.
it’s a lot of tweaking or copy-pasting to achieve this right now.
you could then also adjust the “density” of the sequence just by turning one knob which would definitely be fun!
but regardless, these TRCs are funky.[/quote]
Obviously more choice is nice, but I think this feature works best if it’s on a specific step on a track - they can add track, page, even pattern global probability, but that’s just going to sound like a random trig generator (ie, bad).

Doesn’t look like it.
I want to do the opposite and send fills from the A4 to Numerology. For a next update, please make the Page button send (and receive) CC!

With the 1.1 update I felt as though the A4 leveled up to 2.0, now with 1.22 it looks like we’re at 3.0. :joy:

Jesus…

The PRE and NEI features are amazing news.

If only that NEI logic was routeable to any track (or on any machine through overbridge…)