Orthogonal Devices ER-301

Check lojik’s Euclidean clock. Included are mod destinations for beat, length and rotation. It’s really nice!

1 Like

theres some nice stuff on the Hub too.

Check this out…

In the superbooth demo, the guy said this module can add up to 100 inputs for the ER-301.

I wonder if it will output from the 301. So many good functions in it.

I’m sorry :frowning:

shocked to see this thread being so short!
I guess both the (un)availability and (presumed) complexity is to blame, but personally, going back and forth the Euroland, I came to conclusion this is one of those rare things there that is worth getting a (focused) rack. at least if we talk about samplers/loopers/realtime manipulations. pity OD didn’t conceive it as a stand-alone instrument. pity no big manufacturers dare to make anything like it either.
in addition to all it can do, the i2c allows to get out of the wired hell, and interfaces with Monome world nicely.

but the point being… if anyone wants to sell theirs, I’d hear offers :wink:

1 Like

yeah way more activity about it over here on the lines forums https://llllllll.co/t/er-301-sound-computer/ I figure anyone super into it is likely over there. Most modular talk on elektronauts is in the “your modulars” thread https://www.elektronauts.com/t/your-modulars/

When I first was starting into modular I wanted to build a system around the ER-301 quite badly, but then the pandemic hit and second hand prices were a nope for me, ended up basing my system around the squid salmple instead and its amazing so I suppose no regrets there very immediate feeling euro sampler, still could imagine building an ER-301 system someday though.

2 Likes

yeah… brian is a genius (google his MIT papers and get your mind blown) and i truly hope he finds his stride in the modular world again. had 2 er-301s at one point and an er-101/102 a few times and they are a work of art on the UI side. if i had any option to teach someone synthesis, it would easily be the 301, with oscilloscopes on every input and output, absolutely amazing. but for the going used price… probably not the best choice. the 101 is superb if you’re working with just intonation, but for samples/granular/looping, there are so many great options for way less.

and the processing power was less than ideal on the 301. could build lots of modules- built a cocoquantus quantussy, buchla 296e, verbos harmonic vco, etc but can only run one thing at a time and usually a pretty basic version of whatever. but if you’re able to get one - mudlogger’s autogen 301 is a masterclass in modular synthesis up there with any of the nord g1/2 stuff.

3 Likes
2 Likes

thanks pal, yup I’m there at the lines forum, and keep looking at the OD’s mentioned by Phaelam, just like the FB page dedicated to ER-301 specifically — sometimes the module appears there for a lot less than at Reverb. but I figured out that if the thread is so short here, some disappointed elektronauts may want to get rid of theirs here )

btw I’ve just been looking at the Squid, and hearing your praise I’ll look more into it… but it’s 11sec rec, and its pitch/speed is ‘lofi’ as they put it…
other older alternatives do not cut it either. I have a Nebulae for its realtime time-stretching with that unique rubbery feel, but leave most other duties for Octatrack, Monome and computers. ADDAC 112 had such a promise, but failed in basic stability and SQ chasing the granular fad, whereas it could be just a great live resampling tool otherwise.
in this landscape, it feels fair if one could have the OD301 for $2.5-3,000 incl. a case, proper i/o modules and a standalone 16n.

so true, the UI is unrivalled, so rare for a one-man enterprise, and so unusual given the complexities and innovations included. the only thing I question though is him going the Euro path. maybe it was just easier to bring the project to life this way — module is always less to produce than a standalone instrument, cheaper selling price and userbase is probably wider at corresponding price points anyway. but still… and even if he returns, it’s hardly a successful business. ADDAC 112 is a similar story, and a failure even though it never aimed that high, but then their enterprise is larger and running just fine regardless.

and sure there’re other cheaper options for sampling etc, just like it’s probably no surprise Nord modulars didn’t have a successor in the age of computers/iPads. but I still can’t see anything that allows (even with additional elements) such an integration of engine/control/signal io — aside from years-long personal efforts of some musicians who manage to build custom controllers to go with custom Max devices and expensive interfaces. it could be easier if we started from things like Kyma, Nord g, ER301 etc.
Octatrack is a small version of that dream too, I guess… even such devices are rare, and probably no mk3/v2 incoming ever. David Rossum decided to retire in euroland it seems, but his endeavour is both much more limited in scope and horrific UI-wise

1 Like

I used to have one of these many years ago.
Such a cool module.

I really loved the fact that you can record stuff into it. Such a powerful thing in a modular setup.

It’s the coolest looking module ever IMO.

It was designed with modular in mind. It would work really really poorly standalone. It basically expects you to create your own performance interface with other modules.

1 Like

sure, but that’s what I mean — understandably, but still sad (me, personally) he didn’t design it stand-alone from the ground up. an ODtatrack-ER301 so to say.
I’d also say it’s much less rack-dependent than most other modules (short of the Percussa) to start with, as it has so many built-in utilities at least.
it still could have those CV points and i2c for expandability, but would’ve also had some knobs and sliders (and generally slightly different and even better UI), converters, midi and other I/O, but most importantly, more powerful CPU and underpinnings — something that Eurorack won’t ever offer, and what hinders its quality, digital at least.
it is complicated and costly. but we’ve seen this possible more or less, with TastyChips or Polyend. anyway, just a dream of some, not too popular and impossible regardless

1 Like

For what it is worth, I have had an ER-301 since 2017ish. It can do a whole lot, and the interface is fantastic for a virtual modular. But patching it is as fiddly or more than actual modular. I really think because of that it ends up working best as glue in a modular system. It’s never my primary oscillator or filter, but it pulls everything together with the places that need digital precision. It is also missing a whole whole lot of things that would be required of a standalone instrument, like sequencing. To be honest the OT gets a whole lot of the way there, just without the modularity. And it’s not like the reverb on the ER-301 is better. The ER-301 is more flexible than the OT, but it is even more of a pain to set things up in there. Like all the sampling buffers and recorders and playback stuff has to be set up manually even more so than on OT. I think it is a device that gets people’s heads spinning with what is possible, but I never really found myself wanting to put in the time for those kind of experiments that often fail.

It is even more elemental than the OT as well. Like there is no phaser in there. If you want a phaser you have to build it out of all pass filters. Same with bandpass filters, you have to chain a low and a high pass. It is very much designed from the perspective of an engineer, and if you want to implement useful musical tools, you will need to know how those work and build them out of component parts yourself. It makes it very powerful but sometimes you just want a chorus instead of having to think about what the right delay times and feedback to get a chorus effect from delay. Similarly no compressor, no non-aliasing basic oscillators, no chorus, no crossfader. All of that is possible but you have to build it yourself.

2 Likes

@ESIS_Labs it does have an i2c in [would be nice to have a way to get all those great funcs out of the 301 tho]

@warpigs330
https://er301-hub.netlify.app/projects/accents

…phaser and a lot more.

https://er301-hub.netlify.app

user made units…

1 Like

Thanks for cooling down GAS a bit :slight_smile:

(I mean this module looks like super-awesome, but at this price point, availability, and required dedication probably not for me right now)

Yeah, the community definitely made some great stuff, I particularly like the CPR compressor, which lets you do one of the few things that the OT can’t, which is sidechaining. But I just meant that as an illustration, that the device expects you to build your own environment basically from scratch.

but once oriented…super easy. fun. save your own units so you dont have to rebuild each time.

note: this is coming form someone pretty much useless with this kind of thing

1 Like

Yeah, I guess it’s one of those devices that requires you to approach it with intentionality. If you know what you want to achieve, and know how to use the ER-301, it is fantastic. But I found it didn’t draw me into the experiments and conclusions the way things with a bit more of a fixed structure can. Like I went from using the ER-301 primarily to using the Digitakt primarily and the idea of having 8 samples all with their own filter and amp envelope and LFOs and sequencer, all right there, seemed massive. It made me actually play with samples sooooo much more than on the 301 where you have to think “hey a sample into a filter would be cool huh?” And then assign the sample buffer, assign the sample, add the filter, then route the CV to control anything with physical knobs.

I think part of this is that I really struggle with coming back to old patches. Like I’ll mess around building something, save it, open it a couple days later and can’t remember what was going on, because in the moment I didn’t take the time to label everything nicely and get it organized. So then I don’t know what is going on anymore, and figuring it out and untangling the mess I made previously seems way less fun than starting over with something new. Because of this I need an instrument that I can start in a state that allows me to start making music fast. The ER-301 is basically the opposite of that. It wants you to be building up your library of modules and patches that you tweak and perfect over time. So if that is your style, and you love really deep diving in synthesis and signal flow, it is great. But it is not a very creative instrument for me.

thanks for this write-up!
I was under impression that all — or most — of those missing elements were available as user-made units, is it not so? so that one can assemble an instrument from those, and then change certain parts/details if need be. also, are there no presets to save the configurations (‘instruments’) to recall later instead of going through all the individual elements every time?

well, isn’t it like the device expects you (plural) to do it. this is expected not only by its ‘granular’ approach, but also due to this being a one-man enterprise. it’s a platform, a language — it expects a community to join it and use it.
same with Norns, it expects ‘you’ to write scripts… but thanks to all those private developers, anyone buying the Norns now enjoys it an instrument, many an instrument — which can still be fine or even coarse-tuned, expanded upon and so on.
I thought it’s more or less the same with the ER-301, just on a lesser scale

in contrast, the Percussa approach is to ship a somewhat similar device with pre-made everything. they seem to be in the business still, but it also seems to remain much less popular and somehow restricted.

you sound like a perfect candidate to sell me yours :wink:
more seriously, I can see perfectly what you mean here. but there’s other use case apart from what you describe in the quote. like my own interest to the ER301 — I want to construct an instrument for live looping/resampling that just doesn’t exist in the market. I love the simplicity too, but a complex thing can be straight forward if you know what I mean, it requires it to be tailor-made for the task, without needless workarounds and such. for my task, even Octa is not enough in certain aspects, and too much at the same time in others. I looked into building a full-on Euro modular, but even if I’m prepared to tolerate a drop in SQ (I’m not), it will be too expensive, too huge, too messy and unergonomic to use. so it’s either Max/MSP (where it’s even more complex than the OD, plus needs a lot of h/w stuff to go with it), or the ER-301 basically.
and I’m sure the same could be said for some other interests, it’s just more obvious with live sample recording/mangling — as witnessed by the fact that we still hail a decade-old Octa as the best performance sampler around.

1 Like