Ordering Machines

Nobody bought when I was selling. I’m still willing… But, funny how picture taking, sale prep led to everything being set back up. Heh. Guess I’m not done.

I’m interested in some best practices, ie help me avoid some mistakes, give me some wisdom.

Couple questions.

REGARDING MIDI SYNC
Given the machines I have what is the best order.?
Current set up has DT as master sending midi sync to all other machines. Here is the full description of how it is routing:

• DT midi out to --> midi in AK
  • AK midi thru to --> midi in OT
  • OT midi thru to --> midi in AR
  • AR midi thru to --> midi in MD

Which should be sync ‘master’? OT? AK? AR? MD? DT? By the time the midi info is getting to the MD it is not really in sync.

REGARDING AUDIO ROUTING
Current audio routing has everything running into the OT as a direct in.
DT – > AK – > OT < – AR < – MD
_Should I consider a better ordering?

w/that many machines i’d get a midi thru box… kenton thru5 would do the job. whatever the master is -> midi in of the kenton -> thru/out to all the other midi ins of the other machines… so they all get same clock at the same time.

you just set the machines up so they’re only receiving sync

1 Like

Three boxes is usually it, but make sure you’re utilizing the outs of the OT and DT(if that would work, I don’t know.

DT into OT
OT out to AK(for arping)
OT thru to MD
AK Thru to AR

???

The midi features of the OT and DT are pretty much in the Analogs, you just need the arp ability. Send the probability to OT for some midi fun there(and maybe you can route the DT midi to the OT midi). And use the OT midi to bring the MD sequencer up to date a bit.

I don’t know if this would work. But I reckon the out clock would sync with the object that it’s coming out of, which would be set to the initial clock.

That’s what I’d try…

I’d second the thru box suggestion.

you need a midi router

daisy chaining is for 2-3 devices max, even then it sucks

this guy’s midi products have been solid. I use this and CVOCD for Midi/CV. I’m not sure how much of a latency difference there is between using something like this vs. daisy chaining thru devices. I’ve gone from teh OT -> AR -> A4 and never had any issues.