Orchestration, Spitfire Libraries and alternatives

This is a good example of BHCT:

2 Likes

This one is quite interesting:

Hereā€™s a quick orchestral piece from today with Blisko Strings, some of the Afterglow patches as well as Felt Instruments Jasno and Lekko piano, plus one line with the Spitfire Olafur Arnalds Chamber Evolutions. Used the Roli Seaboard Block for some expression in the Felt Instruments patches.

1 Like

Spitfire, just updated the BBC symphony orchestra, turns out theyā€™re updating it quite often apparently :

1 Like

Iā€™ve put some effort into software instruments recentlyā€¦ until Jan Iā€™d never used any at all! I was purely hardware. So itā€™s been fun working in a new way. Hereā€™s my latest work, which is made with 90% free sample instruments, hopefully proving you donā€™t have to spend a tonā€¦ Itā€™s largely Pianobook stuff, alongside Spitfire BBC Symphony Discover and LABs.

And if anyone is interested, my previous piece that I did back in Jan is more of a hybrid, melding hardware synths with sample instruments:

2 Likes

A familiar figure from many a synth video, J3PO, is at it with Spitfireā€™s Contemporay Drama Toolkit. Sounds pretty nice.

1 Like

Really like the vibe in that one, well done! Especially liked the drums, bass and horns. If I may say, Iā€™d like it even more with a darker EQ and/or with some tape saturation or something but I understand itā€™s a work in progress and itā€™s just a matter of personal preference anyway.

Youā€™re clearly on the right path here, keep going!

1 Like

Cheers, man. Iā€™ll experiment some more with EQ and tape saturation.

Iā€™m not quite happy yet with the strings and flutes yet either, but Iā€™ll keep at it. This was mostly an experiment with getting my various libraries to gel together (trying to tame the various rooms). I have lots of ideas, so if I can figure out the mechanics of getting everything to sit together, thereā€™s a lot Iā€™d like to try.

1 Like

For reference, Iā€™m a huge fan of old library tracks like this. Iā€™d love to work towards this kind of stuff.

1 Like

I apologize if this is only tangentially related, but Iā€™m looking for a sample pack with some high quality, but relatively basic set of traditional orchestral instruments, and you all seem to have extremely good ears for this.

I know most serious orchestration work is done with high quality VSTs, but Iā€™m looking to add to my Octatrack for something new, and a VST library with super sampled instruments is a bit be overkill.

Any recommendations? License-speaking, I would like to pay for them, but then have free use of them thereafter.

For your needs Iā€™d recommend this : VSCO Community

1 Like

The VSCO 2 samples are great. The free version is pretty extensive (and royalty-free too) but there are also paid versions if you need more.

1 Like

These are perfect, thank you both!

From the VST side the Spitfire Labs range is free. LOTS of different libraries and many that Iā€™ve found useful. The downside is that many of them have a specific sound or use to them, such as ā€Scary Stringsā€. The basic strings libraries in the Labs range is pretty shite, unfortunately but one might get by using that as sample fodder.

3 Likes

Also, you could get BBC SO Discover free if you fill out their questionnaire and then sample those into your OT.

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/bbc-symphony-orchestra-discover/

4 Likes

These might also be of interest if you have Kontakt.

Itā€™s the spring sale at spitfireaudio !

Time to get a new hard drive :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Time to hide my wallet for a week. Have barely touched the Chamber Strings I got in their Christmas sale. Mostly because Olafur Arnalds Chamber Evos (and Felt Instruments strings) sound so good that I use them all the time.

1 Like

Good call, my goal is to hesitate long enough that I miss the sale, haha.

1 Like

Hey, does anyone have Spitfireā€™s Orbis? I only just discovered it in the last week or two and Iā€™m fascinated by it! I missed the Spring sale, thinking Iā€™ll wait for the next one, hopefully Summer / soonā€¦