Orchestration, Spitfire Libraries and alternatives

That sounds great! Great work! I was just thinking of you the other day. If you have Logic, the Studio Strings that got added the version before last are actually pretty good! Something to consider.

1 Like

Thanks! Gotta take a look at the Logic Studio Strings. From that tutorial video, although it seems well done, itā€™s hard for me to say how those would work with my music. I love the more fragile side of string sounds, so Spitfire Labs Frozen Strings, Scary Strings and also Amp Cello Quartet are right up my alley. Trumpet Fields and Piano Pads are also lovely.

1 Like

Gotta love the price tag on those as well! :wink:

1 Like

Yep, hard to complain about that! :smiley: Of course theyā€™re not ā€œcompleteā€ in any sense of the word (even when all Labs Strings combined), but for what theyā€™re designed to do, I think they do an amazing job.

1 Like

Those definitely suit your style. It sort of reminds me of Sigur Ros. You need to find a Yamaha VSS-30. :slight_smile:

Or a Buchla (the Arturia soft synth is pretty good).

Definitely have listened to my Sigur RĆ³s back in the day (up until Takk), so thatā€™s a good call. Just got to a point where I had listened to enough of those post-rockish build-ups for one lifetime. But in a way Sigur RĆ³s was one of those bands that (for me) served as a gateway to the more orchestrated music.

1 Like

I totally get it. Iā€™m on a different offshoot of the same path. For years I was obsessed with soul and funk samples used in old hip hop tunes. Iā€™ve sort of gotten bored with that, but it has led to my latest obsession, which is 1970s film scores, particularly the funky Italian stuff.

1 Like

Alright, so I just purchased the ā€œnewā€ Spitfire Audio Originals Intimate Strings library. Seemed like a no-brainer to me, as I love the more delicate Spitfire string sounds. The much more expensive Olafur Arnalds and Felt Instruments libraries will have to wait, as Iā€™ll get to find out how far I can get with a 29ā‚¬ library. Pretty far would be my guess.

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/originals/#intimate-strings/

1 Like

I thought of you when I saw this library. I was gonna post this today. Glad you found it.

1 Like

Some Intimate Strings in this one, mostly Spitfire Labs though. Still hoping some other people will eventually post some of their music here as well!

4 Likes

Thatā€™s lovely. If you are getting into orchestral stuff, you might like the VI Control forum. Itā€™s a place for people to discuss sample libraries and stuff, and there are a lot of professional composers on there. I bet people would be interested to hear your piece as that Intimate Strings library has generated a lot of discussion/interest. Maybe a good place to connect with people.

FYI, Iā€™m on there under the same name.

1 Like

I recently got into the Spitfire world as well

this is something I did, its not mixed (the strings come in a bit hot)

2 Likes

Sounds good, Leighbeater. Keep 'em coming!

Thanks, will take a close look at this one. Music theory is not something I understand very well, though, especially on paper. My so-called training has been done exclusively by using my ears, subjecting them to different kinds of music and having discussions with friends who know their theory. As I dive deeper into orchestration that forum will probably become more useful.

2 Likes

By the way, I gotta say, I (foolishly) thought you couldnā€™t GAS for VSTs or plugins but the possibilities and versatility of different orchestral libraries are starting to build some serious GAS for meā€¦ Just a quick look at the VI Control forum, for exampleā€¦ Some people have a dozen different piano VSTs. Is that what the future holds for me, too? :grinning:

1 Like

Yeah, itā€™s dangerous. Lol.

I have two libraries Iā€™m after for the Black Friday sales. I hope I can stop myself at those two. Haha.

1 Like

Guess Iā€™m on a roll hereā€¦ Fourth orchestral track in just two weeks. This one also includes Spitfire Audio Labs instruments as well as some Intimate Strings. Just super inspiring VSTs to work with! Also pretty clearly an Olafur Arnalds inspired track, this one.

2 Likes

Just bought the Blisko Cello by Felt Instruments. A super inspiring plug-in! Still lots to learn there how to utilise them but some of the sounds are just pure gold for small, intimate strings. Speaking of intimate, there are some Spitfire Audio Intimate Strings involved here as well.

If I could go back in time 25 years and give myself advice, it would be ā€œlearn the celloā€. Or learn to read music. Right now, Iā€™m having so much fun with writing music with string instrument plugins - Iā€™ve been wanting to do this for 15 years and now I finally have the means to do it! As always, Iā€™m doing it by ear and maybe thereā€™s some magic to itā€¦ Not being able to tell what things in the music move me.

3 Likes

This sounds great! Glad you are finding your thing now! Keep it up.

Little bit of Octatrack fiddling and some other Elektrons

Available from https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/raven-bush-moonglades/

Track is available from https://sarecordings.com/release/199224-raven-bush-moonglades

Really nice library.

1 Like

Right up my alley! Thanks a lot for sharing this! Will probably buy this in the coming days. Hadnā€™t listened to this, even though Iā€™ve been eyeing the Spitfire website almost daily for several weeks now, trying to decide which of the bigger (string) libraries to pick up somewhere down the road. Tells a lot about how many (partly overlapping) libraries there are by Spitfireā€¦