Opinions on Sony MDR 7506 for an article I'm writing

I’m writing an article about Sony’s iconic MDR 7506 headphones, and I need some short quotes about them.

If you have some, why do you love/hate them?

Why did you chose them?

What would you improve?

I’ll start. I got them because they’re cheap, they’re repairable, and if they do totally break, I will always be able to get a new pair.

I love them because they sound great, they’re comfy, and the cable is never too short.

I’d like to be able to swap in a short, non-curly cable just for iPod listening, though.

Don’t limit your answers tho those questions. Any and ll opinions welcome.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I’d say the 7506’s sound “great”, but they sound pretty good, are pretty neutral, and are cheap. I prefer my HE-400s for sound, but the 7506s are my lightweight cans for whenever I’m not sitting down at my studio.

2 Likes

I never got fixed on that model, think I owned one at some point but I remember hearing Trent Reznor swore by 'em back in the day while having access to whatever he wanted. Not overly expensive or difficult to find, good sound, my model might’ve been stolen at some point as I don’t remember trying to DIY any repairs.

Over the years I’ve acquired 3 sets of the 7506s. They were my phones of choice when Djing as they sounded good enough for the task at hand, we’re relatively cheap, and are durable. In fact, usually I would have to replace the headsets pads, long before any of the wiring went bad. Also, unlike most “djing” headphones, none of the swivels ever broke on me, and in my experience that’s usually what happens to most other headsets that cost a lot more. Function over form is certainly its calling card. They also feel comfortable enough when djing for long stretches and also did a well enough job of isolating the sound of my cue sources when playing at a really loud club or event. Now, when it comes to the studio, there are far better options that don’t cost that much more, so I don’t use them in that environment, but when it’s club time, they’ve always been my phones of choice.

Now, about my payment. PM me so I can direct you how I’d like to receive my 10% cut.

1 Like

Extremely solid headphone (I bought the one I use now about ten years ago). Super sensitive and loud.
Beyerdynamic has nice replacements for the pads (DT 250). It’s not a Beyer DT770 that is more extended in terms of frequency range.
which is bonus in a band recording situation where you want to be able to hear yourself.
I love mine

1 Like

A lot of it is what you get used to. If you mix on the same headphones/monitors forever, then you know exactly what to expect.

1 Like

I ordered one in May to take with me abroad but it arrived too late, I’ll ckeck the cans in September :+1:t2:

I have a pair of 7510’s, which are much more comfortable and have a broader response. The prices are close. RDJ has recommended them in the past.

The article is up!

Thanks to everyone who helped. I have linked to this forum and the Audiobus Forum thread, and also to the individual sites/youtube channels/patreons of anyone I quoted.

Let me know if I got any of those links/names wrong.

I’ve always been gutted they stopped production of the MDR 7509’s, IMO they were clearly superior and much better headphones.

1 Like