OpenAI - ChatGPT: what a surprise

I spent some time chatting with it. The capability of producing grammatically correct and seemingly meaningful content is a great feat. But it quickly becomes obvious that these LLM’s are still just probabilistic systems. They calculate what the most probable sequence of words is based on their training set. No significant sense of meaning is involved. What comes out is a sort of mega average of the formal structure in its dataset.

Therefor I would like to give ChatGPT the nickname: The Great Averager.

(Which is also why it creates this B-grade bread and butter poetry we started the thread with.)

3 Likes

Sensible discussion here:

I have mixed feelings about the whole AI thing and headlines like these worry me.
I have a feeling that art is going to be standardized by averages of artists work (without recognition and retribution to the artists) and eventually there will be no outlet for real art, because it’s harder to sell / find the target audience and there’s more “risk” for something original, while statistically generated thing will do better for certain.

and it will discourage people from investing their time in art, because it will be worthless in every way… dunno, maybe I’m overthinking it but that’s how this whole thing presents to me…

3 Likes

A lot of people buy and invest in art because of the artists themselves, and that won’t change. People have always bought shit art/illustrations/books as well, and that won’t change either.

Great artists will use AI as a tool as well, its not just about the result, its about the concept and process.

4 Likes

Drummers complained the same thing about the first drum machines.

But the economic and by consequence political forces at play are absolutely not to be neglected, as with anything in the tech world. The way our global society works at the moment is that tech developments are going to benefit the haves to the detriment of the have-nots, and it won’t be any different with this development. ChatGPT is now in free open beta. While I’m guessing there will remain a free version be sure that there’s a business model to earn billions waiting behind the scenes.

And here goes four images generated using AI and your generated text as a prompt :slight_smile:

Yes that’s true, but for a quick and very complete outline of something it’s amazing.

It’s a bitike presets on a synth. When you begin to twist and infuse it with your own style can get great results.

Your human ramblings are a better display of your character, which is vitally important when interviewing.

1 Like

In today’s performance, the part of Alex was played by Brent Spiner.

In the second piece, I am rather taken by the way the AI makes Alex go in search of knowledge and wider experience. It contrasts sharply with the assertions it makes about its own inability to do this when you don’t give it permission to use fiction. You can see how it’s got a script to follow (introduce the characters, introduce a problem, solve the problem, close), and choses to make the “problem” about a thing it’s claimed it itself can’t do.

Fascinating.

1 Like

Y’all seen this one yet?
Text to frequency domain images (music)

3 Likes

wish they’d let you upload your own specetrograms it would morph and combine with it’s library, abit like DallE2

1 Like

That’s a really good point!
Drum machines didn’t wash drummers off the surface. Instead they opened new possibilities.

write a drum pattern

Sure, here is an example of a simple drum pattern that can be used in hip-hop music:

Kick: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4
Snare: - - 1 - - - 1 -
Hi-hat: 1 - 1 - 2 - 2 - 1 - 1 - 2 - 2

This pattern is played in 4/4 time, with the kick drum hitting on beats 1 and 3, the snare drum hitting on beats 2 and 4, and the hi-hat playing a steady eighth note rhythm. This pattern creates a strong and steady beat that can be used as a foundation for a hip-hop track.

You can also experiment with different variations, such as adding ghost notes on the snare, or adding a different rhythm on the hi-hat. You can also add a clap on the 2nd and 4th beats.

Keep in mind that this is just one example of a drum pattern and there are countless other possibilities. The most important thing is to have fun and experiment with different rhythms and patterns to find what works best for your music.

make another one more complex

Sure, here is an example of a more complex drum pattern that can be used in hip-hop music:

Kick: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4
Snare: - 1 - 2 - 3 - - 1 - 2 - 3 -
Hi-hat: 1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a 1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a

This pattern is still played in 4/4 time, but adds more syncopation, which is the displacement of the beat, giving it a more complex and dynamic feel. The kick drum still hits on beats 1 and 3, but the snare drum hits on the “e” and “a” of beat 2 and 4, the hi-hat is playing a triplet rhythm, which is a combination of 3 notes in the space of 2, giving a more complex and dynamic feel.

This pattern is more complex and can add more energy to the track, but it’s important to keep in mind that it can be harder to follow for the listener.

Keep in mind that these are just examples and you can experiment with different rhythms and patterns to find what works best for your music.

write this pattern on an array

Sure, here is the pattern written in an array format:

Kick:   [1, 0, 2, 0, 3, 0, 4, 0, 1, 0, 2, 0, 3, 0, 4, 0]
Snare:   [0, 1, 0, 2, 0, 3, 0, 0, 1, 0, 2, 0, 3, 0, 0, 0]
Hi-hat: [1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4]

Each array represents a measure of 4/4 time, with each element in the array representing a 16th note. A value of “1” represents a hit on that note, while a value of “0” represents a rest.

In this way, the pattern can be easily read and modified by a computer or a software, which facilitates the creation and manipulation of the drum pattern.

Keep in mind that this is just one way to represent a drum pattern, and there are other ways to do it such as midi or sheet music notation.

why you wrote 2, 3 and 4 ?

I apologize for any confusion. In the examples I provided, the numbers 2, 3, and 4 were used to indicate the second, third, and fourth beats of the measure, respectively. In 4/4 time, a measure is divided into four beats, with the first beat being represented by the number 1. The kick drum in my examples is hitting on the first and third beats (1 and 3) while the snare drum hits on the 2nd and 4th beats (2 and 4). The hi-hat is playing a steady rhythm of 8th notes or triplets in the examples provided.

It’s important to note that the numbers used to indicate beats in a measure can vary depending on the time signature, but in 4/4 time, the first beat is typically represented by the number 1.

I apologize for any confusion my previous response may have caused, and please let me know if you have any more questions.

Thank you, say hello to Elektronauts

Hello Elektronauts! I hope you find my responses helpful in your music production journey. If you have any more questions or need assistance with anything else, please feel free to ask.

6 Likes

I think that human curated, well seeded AI output is inevitably going to be implemented and used effectively for lots of industries and creative usage, especially in the next few years, as they get more sophisticated.

For sure certain jobs will be lost to AI, but most likely in the short term just as ebooks didn’t totally replace printed books, AI won’t replace (completely) everything, but it will most likely raise the bar and supplant human mediocrity.

3 Likes

I like this somewhat optimistic, yet realistic point of view.

I worked in AI for about a decade and most of the time my prediction of the future of humanity is pretty bleak – I tend to imagine AI killing off jobs and destroying art, but there’s also a version without total domination by AI.

2 Likes

You know it won’t be long until AI is making music in the same manner ‘make a 4/4 house track that goes for 5 mins, use these softsynths and take inspiration from these other artists’.

1 Like

Probably already can, it can do fairly reasonable code for a variety of languages, I haven’t tried asking it to do a PD patch yet but I bet it can. Lately it seems to be unavailable due to too many users every time I try to get on it.

Edit: No it can’t do PD but it can give a rough guide

“ I am a text-based language model and am not able to create a PD program to make a techno song, but I can give you a general guide on how to create a techno song using a software called Pure Data (PD).

1. Start by creating a new patch in PD.
  2. Add a kick drum sound using the “dac~” and “cycle~” objects. Adjust the frequency and amplitude to taste.
  3. Add a snare sound using a similar method, using a different set of frequency and amplitude values.
  4. Add a hi-hat sound using the same method, with different values yet again.
  5. Create a bassline using the “phasor~” and “line~” objects. Adjust the frequency and amplitude to taste.
  6. Create a melody using the “osc~” object and a sequence of MIDI notes.
  7. Create chord using the “osc~” object and a sequence of MIDI notes.
  8. Add effects such as reverb and delay using the “freeverb~” and “delwrite~” objects.
  9. Use the “metro” object to create a steady tempo for the song.
  10. Use the “adsr” object to create dynamic changes in amplitude over time for each sound.

Please keep in mind that this is a high-level guide and there is much more to it than this, like adjusting the tempo and sound design. You may also need to use additional objects and techniques to create the techno song you want.”

It fails at creating usable max patches as well

I find ChatGPT fails at a lot of technical things, but you have to not refresh the page when the answer is incorrect. Instead, just correct him and explain him the error. That way, it will learn and make less mistakes in the future. Until the day it will code a better AI itself and take the control of the humanity because we are too dumb.

Yea, the OP’s poem shows that AI can rhyme and stay on topic, but not much beyond that.

2 Likes