Open Challenge #7 - Droning On

So I didn’t like the one I posted, so I’ve deleted it and done another.

It’s definitely less good in many ways, but I like it more, so I’m going with it.

Edit:

Please do it justice and listen on headphones.

4 Likes

Here’s my submission:

4 Likes

Very nice. I think this is better than your first submission.

1 Like

Cheers. My first one was a bit of a rush job.

This one came from an hour’s session pissing about solo on the Lyra the other night. I’ve been listening to a lot of Pan Sonic lately and I wanted to get super minimal and the Lyra really rewards that sort of approach.

1 Like

Been meaning to get involved with one of these for ages… Here’s some layers of the same Pro2 patch with a lot of tuned feedback, delay and distortion.

7 Likes

Felt the need to remix mine. Earlier one deleted.

3 Likes

Every Drone should be listened on Headphones, it’s a duty.

5 Likes

here’s my take on this one…not completely happy with the results though. MM only.

4 Likes

Yeah thats what I was aiming at with mine.
1 synth. No fx.

1 Like

SYNTRX + Kaoss Pad Kp2 + Tascam 234 + old hifi graphic eq.

3 Likes

Just seen the voting thread: [mod edit: redacted per OP request]

Now that is a LOT of entries! Nice!

1 Like

That thread is unlisted and still in progress, voting starts tomorrow. Today is the last day for submissions, so you can still enter something if you want. The counter stands at 48, so get ready for some mind-altering voting sessions :wink:

2 Likes

48?!?!?!?!

Edit: 48 entries = 48 minutes. Sounds like a Combination drone is in order.

5 Likes

Really feels like this would work best as a conjoint analysis battle style vote.
Eg. be presented with 2 random drones from the pool, pick the winner, get 2 more random drones etc.
Each voter can play as many battles as they like, but if you left it open for a week or so of voting that you could dip into when convenient, you’d get a pretty clear result.

2 Likes

I’m closing this thread today, we had 48 submissions, so that’s a 48minute drone session for the voting. :aw: Thanks everyone for the involvement! :pray:

Please head on over to the Open Challenge #7 Voting thread, which will be open to votes until April 15.

4 Likes

Wow. Listening to lovely drones right now, this is going to be extremely difficult.
I have already 10 potential winners in my list, and I have only listened to a third of them :sweat_smile:
It’s seriously hard to NOT love these sounds!!

10 Likes

that was an intense voting experience for breakfast….
i shortlisted 7 based on; did it adhere strictly to the rules in my ears, did it subjectively represent a drone to me, did it make interesting use of the frequency and stereo range, were the dynamics appropriate for the vibe, would i listen for 30 minutes, was i transported somewhere else.

then listened again and had a clear winner.
we need more drone based challenges.

8 Likes

Only listened to first batch so far, gonna be a tough one (assuming just voting forself is cheesy :smiley: )

3 Likes

Cheesy is a gentle way of putting it, but if you feel so inclined, go for it! :wink:

3 Likes

I never finished in time my one minute drone project on the Model:Cycles and to fight against the SAS (Syntakt Acquisition Syndrom) last night, I finally did it. I used each of the 6 machines. Here it is (headphones recommended of course) :

6 Likes