OP-1 field

Unlimited tapes? You want them to put unlimited storage in it?

I think considering that each tape has a reserved 6 minute X 4 tracks of stereo audio files you can’t really make it setup like how an MPC would work with different sized projects.

But also, I’m betting it’s real simple to upload those tracks to your phone and then upload them to the cloud so as long as you have a phone and a usb cable you essentially have unlimited tracks. That’s me assuming your phone could pull up the OP-1 as a flash drive.

I wouldn’t mind another sequencer type that pushes into a sequencer realm. I think there is room to innovate step sequencers into a tool for the op-1.

Actually weird they didnt offer sd-card support. Seems to be the norm these days.

It would be sweet if they used Bluetooth LE somehow, and made a wireless drive of some sort. Allowing loading in tape groups or something. Essentially giving us unlimited tapes without all he space staying on board.

quoted for truth

1 Like

“Teenage Engineering announces the FD-9 Field.

An all aluminum machined Flash Drive that only connects over Bluetooth and has a whopping 10GB of storage giving you 100x more space for your OP-1 field. Only $1500.”

1 Like

I like the feel of the encoders too, and aside from the popping out issue (which TBF I only had on 1 encoder out of 3 OPZ) I just think that a little more thought on the design would have prevented it from occuring.

The collapsable metal dome “switches” are a very bad design choice, which had they been replaceable could be forgiven - after all, off the shelf tact switches go bad all the time, it is a inevitable, and those are more protected from contaminant ingress by the plastic body, difference is they are cheap and simple to replace.

Deoxidising them will often get them working again, but eventually they will malfunction again.

I’d even have been ok if they had made the pcb removable, but to fuse it to the body is not only bad from a repair POV but also an environmental one.

I won’t rant on about the other flaws, which are well known, but I will just say I’d rather have paid a little more for an excellent product in both function and design, I love the features and the portability.

Anyway, I sincerely hope that the OP1f is better built for the sake of you guys who bought one.

2 Likes

What are the direct competitors to the OP-1? I still feel like there is nothing like it.

5 Likes

There aren’t any.

5 Likes

I haven’t gotten audio to work… might come I. an update (I think audio only works between two audio hosts I.e TX-6 and OP-1 Field)

The OP-1F is still mono timbral so only one track at once…

Midi works though, either usb or BLE (no clock over BLE yet though)

1 Like

The question should be Why aren’t there any?

Theyve had 10 years and still nobody has dared.

1 Like

Someone at TE likely took screenshots of Ebay and Reverb when some thought the OP-1 was discontinued.

Legitimately or not, some sales went as much as 2X the price of the OP1 Field.

Companies do what they are supposed to I guess in this day and time.

We can only hope as some say, that this is only the beginning and that OP1F has a lot more in store coming from the developpers…It could justify its purchase at some point maybe…

I would for sure expect:

1. Field Mic of some kind.
  2. Field headphones, very high end.
  3. OPZ field
  4. Perhaps a video projector of some kind.
  5. Dare I say… a camera.
  6. Maybe a field version of the OB-4 though that already feels like a field speaker to me.

You know, it’s starting to get real irritating that every wannabe synthfluencers from here to the moon has to make a “let’s talk about the OP-1Field” video.

I don’t care what you have to say about a device you’ve only seen listing of!

The guy is probably great and lovely, but this content is trash tbh!

In one of the comments he’s stating that he doesn’t feel that TE is supporting their devices… I mean, tell me any other device that has gotten USB audio out after 10 years? I’ll wait…

Better yet, tell me one synth that has been active for 10 years!? I’ll wait…

These freaking “TE is spitting in our faces” is ridiculous really…

Rant END.

22 Likes

TE could dovetail their product line Apple-style and produce an equivalent to the Mac’s i-line. The OP1/F could occupy a hypothetical ‘pro’ tier with eye-watering prices, and another cheaper model could be made that runs the same OP-OS, optimized for slightly inferior specs, with fewer features. Would $399 (pulled this price from the nowhere hole) tempt you to give up some of the OP-1/OP-F’s capabilities for a cheaper way into the much-ballyhoo’d workflow and the visual-tactile world of its quixotic ui?

You have? I cannot imagine what you are talking about.

I wonder are there handbag forums with experts freaking out about the price of the latest Chanel folded piece of leather with some bobbles and a logo. ‘It’s not worth it! I’d never pay more than $3000 for a handbag, $8000 is ridiculous! I’m outraged! It’s a personal affront!’
:rofl:

Seriously, for those who want a field and its promise of hifi stereo 4 track just like they want, better FX, more CPU, better synths and probably a few nice firmware upgrades … what’s not to like?

Every single stressful family holiday with my beloved children over the past 10 years, my zen moments were after 10pm, in warm air, glass of wine, bats in the trees, piece of comte and my OP1 whilst my wife read her book and we swatted the mosquitos away. That is peak good times.

26 Likes

Comte is my favorite cheese. Not very well known round my parts. So good though.

2 Likes

Yup. These people hopped on the OP-1 train after Red Means Recording helped blow up the OP-1 (I wanna say there was a period of about 2 or 3 years where the OP-1 didn’t have a whole lot of people talking about it, around 2013-2016) and their perspective of Teenage Engineering comes AFTER the Volt engine and ARP sequencer came out. I’ve talked to plenty of people that didn’t realize that the CWO effect was the last effect to come out for the OP-1, they thought it always had a fun little cow.

And the OP-Z has still gotten pretty good yearly updates as well.

For me, this thing is everything I’ve talked about wanting in an OP-2 on Reddit for the past 10 years.

10 Likes

At about €50 per kilo, for the good stuff, I realise I could have about 40 tons of comte rather than a field. But I’d be dead too soon to enjoy the whole shipment.
Storage would also be a problem, particularly if I paced myself.

2 Likes