OP-1 Discontinued?

I’d expect TE have their eyes focused on OP-Z, modules and premium paid content.
They need to feed their staff.

1 Like

Well it started with the old classic not charging business.
I went through the obvious motions, leading to the turn on holding com and that was fine, ran the tests and it all checked out fine but upon completion, I forget the wording but all of it was 100% fine, it just froze. I left it a while thinking it would reboot or tell me to reboot.
Nothing. So I switched it off. Then it was dead.
When I switch it on the speaker clicks but no life, still won’t charge but now won’t even let me power up into diagnostics with the key combo.

Sad and also gutted I had stuff on the tape.
Contacted TE and after a long winded and quite tiresome game of email ping pong I gained clearance to send it in for repairs.
Quite a lot of info they requested regarding purchase and receipt/transaction numbers which I had to dig out but then fell sick and our cat had cancer etc and the OP-1 really wasn’t a priority.

TE did presume it was the motherboard or whatever the hell it’s called and stated they do not have any and restock could be quite a while.
Couldn’t face it so it’s still here in a coffin.
Now this speculation :poop:

Sorry @darenager, that could have been more concise and less fluffy but anyways… :neutral_face:

1 Like

Tried to post a link, but there’s 1 on Reverb for $3200

2 Likes

If someone wants a cheaper OP-1, I can sell mine for 3199$!

1 Like

Wowzers, that is hopeful to say the least.

@rotallytuined Probably worth checking in with TE again, I know that their intention was to keep spares for obtainable stuff as long as possible after production because I asked them the 2nd time mine went back for repair (both times mic failure) a couple of years back. Sometimes they need a bit of persistence as I guess they get so many messages, but I have always found them to get issues sorted even if it takes a little while.

Sorry about your cat :cry:

1 Like

OP-1 is so distinguished and alone in its niche they don’t need to do a Mk 2.

I’d prefer eventually they do a clever tape machine mixer on steroids somewhere between the Op-1 and Op-z size. The world is alight with micro machines so build a new core mixer sequencer.

1 Like

Thanks @darenager, gives me some hope!
Yeah poor furry kid lost the fight 3 months now, sad times for sure :disappointed:

As far as confirmation, I work at a large music store and we got the email a few days ago from TE confirming the production halt. They did NOT however say a full discontinuation. But it would make sense that they wouldn’t start back up for a while. It’s an old product and TE would prefer you buy a Opz or the PO’s . and Im inclined to agree. The OP1 is irreplaceable ( like yeah maybe an Ipad could do it) but buying one now knowing that parts are scarce and they can be prone to have all sorts of problems out of nowhere would deter me if I didnt already own one (thank god)

Holy shit FOMO causes craziness, over 5k currently ebay item number 123532624924

Sheesh, some of these prices make me even consider selling mine, but I really think it’s too useful to part with.

If it breaks and you cant get the parts you can always throw it in the Lego Box for the kids to play with.

1 Like

Been searching eBay and Reverb just out of curiosity…consistently selling for over $3k. Funny, just a year ago I considered getting one but feared it wouldn’t be worth $800 to me. Now I may never know what I might be missing :slight_smile:

OP-1 was there most successful product. They sold 2000- 3000 of it each year, which is a huge number for any synth company. We can bet that they are working on a solution to either find replacement parts or working on a new version.

1 Like

I’m glad I got mine a few months ago for 720€ :blush:

2 Likes

I am not so sure about that. Even small synth shops in Australia got at least five OP-Z’s and sold out right away (that’s where I bought mine while on holiday; I was able to scoop one up before the synth shop advertised that they had them in-stock). It’s sold out everywhere. Even if you make the super conservative estimate that there are only 300 synth/music stores in the world (there are 269 Guitar Centers in the US alone so my estimate for 300 synth/music stores world-wide is insanely conservative), 300 stores selling out of 5 OP-Zs each is 1,500 units, aka nearly $1,000,000.00 USD in revenue for TE JUST from the OP-Z launch, which for a small company, is pretty good. And once again, these estimates are conservative. It’s probably double, or triple that. I know for a fact that many stores (like the MoMA store in NYC) have received more than 5 units, and they are consistently selling out.

can’t believe they are commanding such high prices… didn’t realise there was a global shortage. I had one for years and sold it. it truly is a dream machine and the design of that thing is amazing. I loved it for ages but eventually I fell out of love. there’s a lot to love about the OP-1, but I’d never buy one for 3 grand haha. I don’t think the sound is what the OP-1 is famous for, moreso everything else. It’s why I sold mine.

Wow new meaning to the term overhyped
I bought the op-1 as a cool toy to play around on the couch with, to help distract me from watching tv.
All it did really was make me appreciate Netflix more

4 Likes

sure others just saw the email from TE: the OP1 is not discontinued.

“last week a rumour circulated that the OP1 was dead. no one was more surprised than us. however, we’ve been working hard on updating the hardware platform in order to keep the product alive for many years to come.”

2 Likes

Op-1 is selling more than ever before

baha :smile:

5 Likes