OP-1 Discontinued?

They are probably (TE) a busted company. Heavy taxation and China pulling out of trades across Europe mean parts are too expensive. I wont be surprised to see them gone before too long. They have to balance the books and like most companies nearing the end they start culling staff and projects. I think the OP-Z has not sold very well. And its time for them to get out. Of course they can continue but it will be a much smaller team.

This thread is like reading Fox News :smiley:

15 Likes

The op-z is pretty much sold out everywhere as far as I know.

4 Likes

That would be the very small first production run.

I really hope they do an updated version. I find the OP-1 much more interesting than the OP-Z, which I donā€™t like at all.

2 Likes

Indeed, but not for a lack of demand. I donā€™t have any numbers on how many have been sold so far, but based on peopleā€™s forum posts and how quick the first batch was sold out, I think the op-z is doing pretty good so far.

So apart from the reddit thread, (that links to the synth anatomy page) and the synth anatomy page, is there any other site that is confirming this?

Iā€™ve had a look around to find something to back it up, and canā€™t find owt.

I guess synth anatomy is getting a lot of traffic through this piece.

On the TE store, it says itā€™s been delayed until further notice.

https://www.teenageengineering.com/store

So not really discontinued, but not in current production.

1 Like

Finally! A second hand will be 1800 soonish, just what the market needed. :rofl:

I think the OP-1 is a stone cold classic right now, and based on other classic gear it might well indeed end up commanding silly prices in the future, I would never get rid of mine though as nothing really could replace it, mainly the tape workflow which is for me the best thing about it, with the drum sampler being a close second, the fact that audio can be lifted and dropped between them and further edited all in a simple yet tactile way is quite frankly ā€˜the shitā€™ :joy:

11 Likes

I agree and I only played with one for a few hours a few years ago. Prices just swing out of control fast, that is all.

1 Like

Yeah thatā€™s been on there for a while now. They said something about holding production for a while due to difficulty in getting the parts. Or something similar.

Iā€™m worried as my OP-1 needs to be sent back, had some difficulties in private life that have prevented me returning it to Swedenā€¦
Just hope they have the parts that can repair mineā€¦

I must admit though that having had the little guy pack up on me I donā€™t think Iā€™ll ever be able to relax or trust it again and by extension would never buy another.
Iā€™m kind of reluctant to touch anything from TE again but concede this is my shortcoming not theirs. Just not had a unit due on me before, leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.

I love the OP-1 but feel like our relationship is now permanently fractured.
And possibly over if it canā€™t be fixed :nauseated_face::confused:

I can see quite a few companies hitting the wall. The global recession has now started to hit China and the reducing cheap parts/labour in the electronic industry means anything from there is risky.

Prices on eBay are already crazy! In 24 hours my op-1 became vintage :wink:

2 Likes

about 2 years ago I sold a MOTU USB-MIDI to a guy off Craigslist, when he came over to pick it up we were talking synths and he told me his buddy worked at TE and the OP-1 was likely going to be eventually discontinued due to lack of a crucially important component

every time I have ever told someone this since then they said I was stupid for believing him, but I had absolutely no reason to disbelieve him, dude seemed as legit as you could get

3 Likes

As a design company at heart, Mk IIs might be an anathema to TE ethos, an insult to their design team that they didnā€™t get it right the first time round.

5 Likes

Iā€™m sure it will get discontinued /rehashed at some point.
Just seems strange thereā€™s nothing apart from the synth anatomy page thatā€™s actually saying it.

Yeah I donā€™t think that TE will do an OP-2 or mkII, do-overs arenā€™t really their thing and I know for a fact that the OP-1 holds a lot of affection amongst the guys at TE, so I doubt they would be interested in ā€˜betteringā€™ it, far more likely to come out with something different and cool in its own right, like they did with the OP-Z.

@rotallytuined what is wrong with your OP-1?

2 Likes

Only one listed on Reverb that I saw. $1,600 plus $25 shipping in the US

1 Like