Only either AR or A4 working, not both

Anyone know what could be the problem?

What ever I open first (A4 or AR) will work fine. The instrument that I open second looks connected and running on the OB plugin but there is no sound nor sync.

All OS have been updated. I just got the A4 new yesterday and I just can’t figure it out.

What sort of Hub are you using, depending on the USB cabling arrangement, you may not be properly preserving the correct bandwidth (albeit that it is a very low amount) normal hubs will preserve the bandwidth for one USB 1.1 device, but not two properly - that’s why people advocate using the MTT hubs as those type of hubs will preserve the bandwidth for multiple low bandwidth devices properly … it may not even be sufficient on some computers to plug both devices in direct depending on how the USB is routed in it

first thing to try is reducing all the other USB devices you may have connected

1 Like

Thanx!

I run in through Overbridge but all USB slots are used, so it may be too much for my Mac Mini

I have a cheap MTT hub (circa £6, unpowered) but I’m fairly sure I also tested two OB devices direct on my ageing mac mini with no issues that I recall - just don’t hook up too many hard drives whilst you test if possible or other power/bandwidth hungry devices, so you can isolate the issues

You say you run in through overbridge, I don’t quite know what you mean (presumably not overhub)

You use the OB control panel to set up the i/o (try just 2 in 2 out for both to begin with) then you can close the panel, next run the two vsts separately in a host

1 Like

oh, sorry, yes - I meant Overhub!
Also less channels won’t work, so I guess that’s not the problem

Is the Overhub bus-powered only or receiving power from a PSU?
Do you have any other devices connected to Overhub?

1 Like

Okay - then you best read through some of the hundreds of posts on problem solving OB connections and get in touch with support if that fails, it’s always just worked for me, so I have no resolution strategies to offer besides the obvious hub issue (which you do not have of course, unless your overhub is starved of current from the mac port due to there being too many devices loaded on it … this may not be an issue, the devices only need a few mA, 10 or so iirc)

It’s only connected to the computer via USB.
I have connected a Sub 37, a Pro2, Komplete Kontrol and a HD
plus A4, Rytm and Analog Heat

I would use an external PSU for Overhub with that much connected. Lighten the load on the USB bus.

I noticed that for some reason my AR likes one port over the other (I use mac) so when I plug AK to one and AR to other it might not work, but if I plug it to the one that AR prefers both work, might be worth trying.

1 Like

Thanx for all your replies. Much appreciated.

I just received an answer from Support. So it seems to be Mac OS related!

This is related to a bug in the USB stack of El Capitan. We suggest updating to Sierra.
(Although we have had reports of issues in Sierra 12.4, which seem to introduce these bugs again unfortunately - however, stereo in/out with two machines should work fine in 12.4)

2 Likes

Even with the info from the reply I’d try the other usb connections to see if you get any better results. If you click on the apple on the top left and then click “about this Mac” and then click “system report” and then hilight usb, you will see your usb device tree. In general the port that shows the macs internal camera (isight, maybe now called facetime?) has less bandwidth. Plug the overhub in and find the port where it appears on the device tree not being shared with the camera.
At this point I would try only the Elektrons plugged into overhub plugged into the port not shared with camera. If this gets you better results you can start plugging other stuff in.
If not I’d go ahead and try just Elektrons into overhub into the other port, just to make sure as I don’t know what year your Mac is and my advice about port with camera is a bit dated and I’m not positive it still applies…
If one of these works what I’d probably do is get a cheaper hub plugged into the other port for the rest of the gear, to preserve bandwidth. Also if your Mac has thunderbolt or express card you can get usb adapters giving you a new separate port, more bandwidth…

3 Likes

Thanx for the advice. Unfortunately I updated to Sierra and now have event more problems ;-(

I’m encountering the same issue running 10.12.4. Looks like there is a last in wins behavior for audio. OB connects to both devices, but whichever device is the last one I connect (or by re-enumerating by toggling the USB mode on the device) wins the audio connection.

Exactly the same problem!!

Not possible to have both A4 and AR in overbridge

Although I just confirmed that if I plug both, directly into the computer I don’t have the issue. Sounds like my hub is the issue.

1 Like

Update on this issue, I purchased an Overhub with hopes of it solving the mutual exclusion, but I’m encountering the same behavior. However it seems if I plug 1 of the AR/A4 into the Overhub (plus my Analog Heat) and plug the other Analog box direct it works.

I guess I should file a ticket?

Did you try the hub into each different port? Sometimes one or the other usb port has more bandwidth because of less internal components connected…

I’ll check back and report

1 Like