One track chords using the sub oscillators

Say is it possible to use 1 track to create a chord? Using the two oscillators and the 5th sub oscillators?

I’m trying to understand how the 5th sub osc works. To my ears it sounds like the sub osc gives you a note that is seven semitones down from the main osc, which can also be looked at as 5 semitones above the main osc but an octave lower. I’m a bit perplexed by the choice of this since it doesn’t make sense musically to me since the (potential) root of the chord shifts. So in that case i can make the main osc 5 Seminoles higher to compensate.

Going down fx 5 semitones ( so c4 on main osc and G3 on sub osc fx) makes more sense since that’s just party of an inversion of a chord.

6 Likes

If you’re listening to the osc without sub, and then enabling the 5th sub, it will sound like 7 semitones down in comparison to the main osc. But it’s not a 5th of the main osc - it’s a 5th up from the sub osc’s first waveform (-1 octave).

1 Like

Isn’t it a 4th up from sub osc first waveform ?

1 Like

Nope

[edit] i had it wrong sorry! :grimacing:

I need an explanation then ! :content:

Easiest way to make 1 track chords is by putting a huge reverb and hitting 3 arp notes fast. Use the reverb tail as a synth.

If you want to scratch your head, you could also program a sequence sending to a 1-tap timed delay. So that your note repeats line up

1 Like

If this were the case it’d be the same note as a 5th up from the fundamental (ie. 7 semitones), just an octave lower. It’s not though, it’s 5 semitones up from the usual -1 octave sub, and 7 semitones down from the fundamental.

3 Likes

Simply tune the oscillator +7 semitones. Then the sub becomes the fundamental, and the main oscillator is the perfect fifth above it.

I’m not certain, but I think there might have been technical reasons why they chose to do it this way. ie. it might be easier to create a -7 semitone sub with analogue circuitry.

2 Likes

That’s what I read somewhere…

1 Like
3 Likes