OMG, ist that true? No BPM control?

Id rather control it myself but see now why others might want it.

1 Like

I recall that you can set BPM in OT’s arranger. Haven’t tried song mode on the analogs(or on the OT tbh), can you not set BPM in those? In the OT you can bump in and out of the arranger so, you could store the BPM in there and just use the arranger to control the BPM? Surely this feature hasn’t been removed from the Analogs? If it has, I highly recommend getting an OT. It’s just a lot of fun and worth it’s cost solely as a sampler, but it’s midi control and external processing is like cherries on top of a musical sundae(WHY DO I KEEP COMPARING ELEKTRON TO FOOD?!)

3 Likes

hahaha,

yeah. dsi can… i see you are pissed on that topic… well… i think this is one of a ton of millions of limitations… its hardware (not modular software stuff, were you can add new functions every week)… the most creative things to me always comes, when you have to work around problems… but hey… if you hate these machines, throw them out of your house :-)) they should make you happy… as the electrons do to me… please send me your A4 :-))) i will take it!!! :slight_smile:

cheers

1 Like

[re: AR MKII]
Lol they could at least have way much less sensitivity on the Data Entry knob! I mean for choosing a specific tempo to change to is ridiculous! But will try practice for now … I guess! Lol

1 Like

Omg, I really can’t believe the laziness. I have played so many live sets, starting at 100 bpm and finishing at 130. This is with dark trinity and some external synths. Never have I felt the need to have specific bpms for patterns. Rather do I feel it’s just perfect to have a fluent set where I control the tempo after my choosing and feeling of the moment. Just as I play a DJ set I make choices depending on the crowd’s response to the music. It IS a trade off ofc, and it WOULD be nice to have as an option, but it is not in any way an essential feature IMO. With some very basic live playing experience and planning you should be able to play sets without the machine doing something as simple as changing the BPM for you. <3

4 Likes

When I create a pattern , I have always a certain tempo in mind, slower or faster than that doesn’t sound right :+1:I can’t play an uptempo “slower” or downtempo “faster”. So yeah, I ques I am lazy

Not an essential feature for you maybe, but you’re missing the point.

What if your patterns include samples that only work at a specific tempo? Rytm doesn’t time stretch so your only options are writing down each pattern’s tempo and trying to quickly change the tempo live while changing patterns, or saving each track in it’s own project which you can’t switch between live quickly.

Nothing to do with laziness or not having as much live playing experience as you.

2 Likes

yeah, Maybe because I started with the octatrack I came to the habit of naming my samples with the bpm and in general remembering the tempo of my songs. It’s true that if you have samples that are not one-shots in the AR you’re going to be dependant on changing tempo manually. I guess it looks like an easy thing to program as well for a non-programmer like myself. The best option would be a toggle for each pattern to follow “local” or “global” tempo right? Local meaning it has its own tempo. Or something like that. I could imagine this lacking feature being quite troublesome if I would have only the AR to rely on playing samples.

Wow this thread is funny to me.
I just use the tempo knob and remember what bpm I was working at ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

Using some loops with the DT, I’m glad it has per-pattern tempo.

1 Like

Per pattern tempo should at least be an option in the settings. It should be completely up to the user, which way they prefer.

Yes the choice should be left to the user, but i had lots of tempo change with the electribes i had not wanted, at least this doesn’t happen with the elektron. Important to Know if you dial the tempo change While keeping function pressed the change is instant!

1 Like

previous electribes had this right

2 Likes

yes but the last ones was buried in sub menu i think, i don’t own one anymore

last digitone jam i just turned global bpm on, was annoying all those bpm jumps !!! tastes…

Both settings have upsides and downsides, but BOTH options are needed for different situations.

It makes no sense to put one option over the other. As I said, it should be up to the user to decide what he/she prefers in which situation. Simple as that.

I might be absolutely completely wrong but a theory I have is that Elektron wants their gear to be used like instruments in live performance. I think they don’t do bpm per pattern and there’s no song mode on DT because they want to have their gear out there seen as “played” and very much encourage hands on constant tweaking for live in the moment dynamic performances. I don’t think they want their boxes to just sit there on a stage, and be seen just sitting there… I think they encourage keeping your hands on them like instruments…

-Please note this has nothing to do with how useful these features are, and this is not me defending Elektron or saying that people don’t need it, it’s just a theory of what the reasoning is…

1 Like

Having it as a switchable option, like on the Digitakt, seems perfect.

I used to use locked BPM, but now I’ve chilled out, and started to realise the benefits of not being locked to BPM. But it really really depends what kind of music you’re making. Why not have the option?

@Open_Mike
If Elektron would look at it like that, and really prefer musicians using their gear live, wouldn’t that be quite a funny self-limitation, excluding masses of possible buyers and users? And if that was true, why would they stretch out to reach many more buyers with Overbridge in the first place?

I can’t imagine that the Elektron management is that short-sighted, while they in fact try to expand massively. So I think it would be in their best own interest to offer both options to users.

And by the way, for many musicians, live use and studio use are anything but mutually exclusive: normally musicians want to use great gear (like analog synths) both live and in the studio.

1 Like

Did you tried to function + bpm workaround ? You can launch the pattern change at the start of the 4 measures and Stil have Time to program the bpm change , release the function button when the pattern change and voilĂ  you have instant pattern & bpm switch .but yes this is to be done live.