OMG, ist that true? No BPM control?

…the only solution to this is indeed, to run all elektron machines in slave mode…

…but i got the octatrack for that one reason…to have no computer with me on stage…
so if i’m forced to use it…i use it full on and kick the octatrack out again…
with my controlers and ableton i know what i got…and in action mode with all the rest i got to do, i can only focus on one interface to keep it going…the octrack would be only some fancy add on though…no way…

and i have not enough space in my live rig to add one of my mpcs just to clock the whole damn thing…

whatsoever…the a4 does follow orders pretty well, not so the octatrack i’m afraid, and so i’m pretty sure the rytm will be doing fine all the way as beeing slaved to a mpc…

…i really need to hear about this soon…are these boxes only for nerds, rich kids and disco heros…
or can they run a serious performance show as professional tools stand alone …?

let me know, please…

can someone from Elektron chime in to say something about this?

Cheers

i wouldnt worry to much,
anyone whos been around these E forums for any length of time
knows you put in

“listen”…hha haahahaha ahahahaha…
they dont seem to realize there are people around here
who have been in the “synth” game as long or longer than them.

“vee do it our vay”

btw i dont mind the crappiness of this forum.

But Cenk did.

At the very least, the song mode features from the MD/MnM that let you specify tempo per line and pattern start point/length per line need to be implemented on the AR. That would a be a partial workaround to some of the points addressed in this thread.

This would be so cool! Then it really would be a grown up drummy! I hope so much this is gonna happen!

Sorry to dig this up. It’s just hard not to comment. I found this to be pretty surprising myself. “Why not!?” I love my AR, but it is frustrating not to have this feature. It seems trivial to me and for that reason I’m going to assume it is not. Bc why wouldn’t they have done it by now with this or any of their previous gear? Must be the way the OS/patterns/kits/projects are architectured. I think it’s worth a re-write if that’s the case. And if a refactor is that big of a deal, then all the more reason to refactor, yes? With the right architecture and design patterns code should be able to be refactored in a modular fashion, right? Or at least they say. I know things are always more complex and unique when dealing with a code base. I can only imagine the code behind the OS and whatever low level language it’s written in. But…

If this is a feature that could be added in a future OS update I just wanted to add my voice to the crowds. PLEASE!!! This would be a much needed warm welcomed feature.

BPM per Kit/Pattern makes no sense in a live setting… The Elektrons are extremely Live-Techno-Oriented, so that’s why. It’s a small price to pay, really…

If you’re in the studio, you have time to change the BPM.

If you’re on stage, doing a continuous DJ-type set - you don’t want BPM change.

If you’re on stage, doing a “band-type” set (not continuous), then you have time to change the BPM. Just include the tempo on the set-list or… remember it?

So, yeah… I don’t think this should change.

2 Likes

I’ve settled on this approach as well.

People say “It should be easy” to put this or that feature in, but I’m a computer programmer by profession and there are often trade offs that have to be made in the design and programming process. There comes a point where the architecture of a chip or the programming platform won’t allow two desired features to exist side by side and somebody has to make a decision to drop one in favour of the other.

I don’t know if this is the case here, I’m just saying that it isn’t necessarily easy to incorporate all desired features, especially once the product is effectively finished and released.

1 Like

This is all true… But I ask, what is the harm of having the option? So, by default the BPM would not change when you create a new kit in a project and thus all kits in said project have the same BPM. Unless, of course, you otherwise change it and save.
The whole notion of saving the desired BPM in the kits name or writing it down or remembering it is definitely a solution. I’ll probably employ writing the BPM in the kits name. But this feels to me more like a workaround/hack than a conscious pre-designed workflow that elektron intended. To me, BPM is such a staple and foundation of tracks/patterns/songs/kits/etc you would think it would be designed with flexibility in mind, but maybe it’s the opposite?

I may think differently than the intended designed workflow/use of the AR. For instance, I was surprised When I found I was unable to save/access kits in some sort of global fashion and that they are “stuck” inside projects. Mind you, I’ve worked mostly in the computer world of music creation so my expectations/intuition may be off base with hardware like this… Either way, I wouldn’t want to take away from the AR. It, along with my sub37 are my new favorite toys (and things in the universe). And they provide me so much joy, it’s hard to translate that into words :slight_smile:

1 Like

Has anyone noticed you can change the tempo while holding the function key and it will only change to the specified tempo upon release of the function key?

3 Likes

ill join to say bpm should be part of the pattern information when you save it. that is music you know, tempo pitch color dynamic and other stuff… you cant just ignore tempo wtf

now i have to turn on the bloody computer again and bloody use it to make normal live set . im not buying any hardware any more. this is stupid.

ditto, but i name the song with the bpm # since i often use the same kits with diff songs.

1 Like

that is not the same not even close

seriously?

again, it’s annoying, but since i use song mode for most my tracks, naming my songs with the bpm seems to resolve the issue.

naming your song what ever is not like saving the pattern with bpm information, and than being able to make a instant switch from slower part to faster part during PERFORMANCE I thought the difference is obvious but i ques not.

Yes… i also do this…
still there is another option… i set my Prophet 08 as Master Clock/Master keyboard… In the prophet i can store Sequencer-Tempo within the Sound… So with switching the sound i can switch the tempo of AR and OT with a click… should work with every kind of midigear, that has its own stable clock :-))

EDIT: uh… there comes something to my mind… if i use the PRG Change in the OT-midisequencer to change the sound on the prophet, it also changes the tempo… so there i have my “per pattern tempo”…

1 Like

There you go, DSI gear can store tempo information and our elektrons can NOT.

SO yeah, of to go buy DSI 1000+eur peace of equipment just to have tempo change with pattern. GREAT solution from another dimension !

EDIT:

guys, i understanda you are trying to be helpful, but be please reasonable, naming songs ater BPM ?? using other machins JUST to change tempo of the ELEKTRONs next pattern on the built ins sequencer ?? that is … i dont know funny ?

the Elektron company should FIX this ISSUE with the sequencer.

1 Like

There’s your answer right there. /thread

srsly if you cant work around such a minor issue (6 million ways to deal with this), then by all means stick to your “professional” gear lol. I’ll be enjoying my “outdated” trig conditions etc

Not sure about “few simple changes”.

The Rytm primarily is supposed to be an analogue drum maschine after all. As far as Elektron tells us, there was no intention to replace a sampler. It’s sample-player features are just supposed to extend the sonic capabilities of the analouge circuits … it’s a bonus that we can use, nothing more.

It’s absolutely okay, to wish to get an all-in-one machine, but I wouldn’t call this “purposely limiting” … maybe “purposlely not extending to be an in-house competitor to other products”, which makes much sense with regard to business :wink:

I absolutely agree, that a BPM on pattern would at least be a great feature and at least looping samples would just sound right. This we should expect Elektron to consider