[Off topic] Mission discussion / copyright

I already pulled down the playlists.

Its over.

ok

1 Like

This thread is a perfect example why humanity canā€™t have nice things.

9 Likes

I just realizedā€¦ It was actually COSTING me money to host thisā€¦ I upgraded my Soundcloud to Next pro just to accommodate all the tracks.

5 Likes

itā€™s awkward to comment on this without making it appear as though one is taking sides, but without commenting on the issue itself, in general you as a person are a super nice dude and as I am not an alumni forum member, I can tell you that not everyone here is as accepting of new members/all members as you are.

Do what you want with battles, donā€™t do anyone any favors you donā€™t want to, donā€™t get involved in any endeavor which you arenā€™t prepared to be criticized for or critiqued on.

some people choose to shine their own shoes, many are too lazy to do so on their own. Replace the words ā€œshine their own shoesā€ with ā€œhost their own tracks anonymouslyā€.

this is my take away from this as well,

but also as someone who as a result of similar concerns about intellectual property, has a lot of unreleased music which will now probably be forever tied up in perpetuity due to creative differences, as I move in a different direction - on my own - I can appreciate that there is more to this than just intentions.

This is not a fun game when people start signing waivers or paying fees or doing any of the things that would make this function in ā€œthe real worldā€.

Iā€™m literally only commenting because I think rabbit is a good dude and thereā€™s no chance anyone is going to pick up the torch on this if he puts it down. If people want to be involved in anything where they arenā€™t judged based on popularity of username, there has to be some method of maintaining anonymity - the productive thing to do would be have a discussion about ways to do that.

Now that Iā€™ve painted a target on my back Iā€™ll just post a meme and go fuck myself.

3 Likes

This is very sad.
And if it has anything to do with the way I tried to handle this, my very sincere apologies.

Iā€™ve found youā€™ve injected an appreciated energy in these battles, and I am grateful for this!
Youā€™ve been welcoming, and pushing others to make music, and this is very respectable.

8 Likes

Thats very kind of you.

Im not an OG myself, but I never seen a diss track made about another user here on any thread I ever been onā€¦ This came wildly out of left field.

To be honestā€¦ Ive been feeling a shift on here a bitā€¦ I thought it was just my imagination, but it seemed like there were some kind of change in the temperment of the forumā€¦ It was great over the holidays, but now, it seems less welcoming. Almost like facebook.

My concern is the forumā€¦ the battles made helped with engagement, fostered community, and added variety to the threads, but as you say, why would anyone put themselves out there to be criticized?

2 Likes

This fucking forum latelyā€¦

How hard is it for people to communicate their concerns without being a patronising twat?

We all know very well about the link between creativity and mental health, so maybe, just fucking maybe try thinking about how smart arse ā€œadviceā€ and name calling might affect people before you go off on some crusade to prove how much fucking smarter you are.

And yes, Iā€™m aware of the hipocrisy of what Iā€™m saying, I just donā€™t give a shit.

My guy goes out of his way to do something for the community and you canā€™t even try and discuss your concerns like a fucking grown upā€¦

But yeah, look at you, arenā€™t you the clever oneā€¦

17 Likes

Diss track for reals? How fucking petty.

3 Likes

my point is that you must be prepared for criticism, any time you take a step out into the world. even more so if you bring attention unto yourself, thatā€™s just life.

I also believe that you have to understand the difference between the argument that guns kill people vs you are trying to kill people with that gun.

I donā€™t think anyone was saying this is what youā€™re trying to do, more that this is what can happen if - and that escalated the situation.

Anyways, Iā€™ve said what I wanted to say, I donā€™t think itā€™s productive for me to say anything else at this point.

2 Likes

I appreciate that.

It was starting to go this way once the conversation turned from making music to criticizing the format. And I didnā€™t invent the format, I just borrowed it to make DnB.

And there are literally no alternative proposed without changing it from a battle to an open challenge, and I liked the sport of it.

I equated it to blind auditions with a symphonyā€¦ it let the music stand on its ownā€¦ thats why I used the same icons for the playlist and revealed everyone laterā€¦

All this talk of money and copyright has nothing to do with making music for the battlesā€¦ it is implied that any sumbmitted tracks were free use and sole ownership was with the artistā€¦

My Soundcloud page was upā€¦ you could watch it to be monetizedā€¦ and Soundcloud has a copyright takedown system in place.

But I cannot tolerate being attacked in a public forum. Having a diss track is not good for my mental healthā€¦ Ive been vocal about how I suffer from PTSD from my time in Iraqā€¦ i am a disabled veteran who served in the Marine Corpsā€¦ so I have to manage my anger and hostility, and having random internet people write music about how I suck isnā€™t compelling me to keep paying money to host a battle.

7 Likes

Iā€™d be happy to chuck in a few quid for a forum SoundCloud account if it would avoid this problem?

5 Likes

ā€¦suspicious mindsā€¦!?..greedā€¦!?..hereā€¦!?..about some eventual penniesā€¦!?..seriouslyā€¦???

cringe 'n cruuuuuudeā€¦

i like this little producer challenges hereā€¦

1 Like

Thats kind of youā€¦ but whoever managed it would come under fire in the exact same way. Its a false issue.

Iā€™m happy to take the flak and tell people to ā€œdo oneā€

These battles are important to me, but I donā€™t think you should have to shoulder the costs and stress on your own so you have my sword my friend.

7 Likes

Can we start a diss track amnesty challenge?

Cathartically vent all your bitter resentment, jealousy, reflected insecurities and unhealthy feelings in musical form about a forum member whoā€™s affected you. Post anonymously as an audio clip.
(What rhymes with fin? Itā€™s a sin, put him in the bin, moaning about things, heā€™s never gonna win)

Pettiest shittiest track wins. Although the blkrbt one might already have clinched it. If youā€™re gonna hate make sure you bring the heat or youā€™ll come across as a total twat.

(Disclaimer for sensitive internet misunderstanding types): all of this post is non real waft

3 Likes

Big love to you @BLKrbbt. Many here appreciate you and what youā€™ve been doing with these battles and for the community. You are a good dude and Iā€™m sorry this has happened.

I donā€™t/wonā€™t get drawn into beef with anonymous people on the internet, but the diss track was a low blow. Pretty pathetic. Not funny. Was it supposed to be? Thereā€™s a human being on the receiving end of it. No one needs that shit. Life is complicated enough. Feels like the SP forums of old. What a shame.

7 Likes

Compared to what my kidā€™s say to me, you fuckers couldnā€™t even get close.

5 Likes

Please let not this thread turn into user shaming.

1 Like

This is embarrassing. @BLKrbbt works so hard. Some wiseman once said:

Donā€™t start no shit, wonā€™t be no shit

2 Likes