Odonian - Subtleties EP

My new EP Subtleties is officially out today. This is the best of what I’ve made since finishing the Medicine EP, I definitely think you can feel the influence of the sun on these tracks in comparison to Medicine. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it.

9 Likes

This is dope man, really nice variety. So glad I listened to this in the morning, it’s really overcast here right now and I just got a dose of sunlight.

The second track has a feel reminiscent of this “atmospheric drum and bass” cd that I used to bump on repeat back in the day. Thanks a lot for sharing the album. The cover art looks great also, even as a thumbnail the layout has a great use of perceived negative space and is appealing to the eyes.

1 Like

As someone who lives in a place that’s grey and rainy 9 months of the year this is high praise!

Thank you! This is another gel plate piece, it’s a super fun medium that can do a lot of different things, been having a lot of fun getting to know it.

1 Like

Congrats on the release, excited to give this a listen later :grinning: :sun_with_face:

1 Like

Listening to this on repeat while correcting my students exams. Really nice release, great variety and I love the vibes! I will listen to it more carefully to catch all the Subtleties and report back. Congrats!

1 Like

Obligatory bump for streaming availability. Now ready for all you spotify users.

2 Likes

Meant to respond yesterday, this was nice to hear, I really try to walk the line of having variety and cohesion on a release.

1 Like

Anything to share about the making of it?

Well, this is the second ep I’ve made since selling my hardware and switching to an ITB workflow centered around a Push 2. When I got the Push back in December it has been a long time since I had actually made stuff inside Ableton, it’s taken a bit to get used to but I tend to like sorta shiney very digital synth sounds so it works for me in that regard. There are more presets on this release than I have used in the past, it feels a little weird if I sit and think about it, but I was in a mode where my focus was really on writing and I just wanted sounds to play with, so I picked them rather than making them, not every sound is a preset but there’s definitely a fair amount of em. I use the wavetable synth a lot, and most of my bread and butter type sounds come from the m4l synths Poli and Bass.

Random tidbit about my process, I often make music with movies on screen in the background, usually horror or sci-fi, By Dawn was called that because I was watching the Evil Dead remake.

1 Like

I thought I’d use this as an excuse to bump this thread rather than post it elsewhere on the board.

I made a remix of a local Seattle rapper’s new track, original was on some very good boom-bap (my friend Third Eye Bling made the original beat), I definitely went in a different direction, hyped on how it came out.

1 Like

The change up at 1:05 goes hard, the transition back at 1:32 is real smooth. Fits with the flow pretty well too. Don’t know what the original beat sounds like but I think this is fresh.

1 Like

Thanks! I was pretty proud of how those change ups ended up playing out, that honestly took the longest, just tweaking those transitions until I was happy. I’ve only done beats to acapellas a couple times and I find it’s a hell of a lot harder to make it feel right than just making a beat that you think someone might want to rap on. I usually end up making the drums to the original track, then muting the original track and fleshing the rest out, otherwise I find it too hard to get the drums to work right with the flow.

1 Like

Not saying there aren’t good rappers that write “generalized rhymes” but most good rappers write to elements of a specific beat. Most of it isn’t “eight mile writing in a notebook” kinda tropes. So when you remix a song that someone wrote to a specific beat, the nuance of the flow can be easily lost. I think you did a good job with however you went about adapting the drums because to me, I could hear the song having been written to this beat.

1 Like

Thank you, that’s high praise! I definitely learned early on that rappers usually write specifically to a beat when I changed the drums on a beat in between my friend writing to it and showing up to my house to record his verses lol.

1 Like