Octatrack with Model:Cycles - Program Changes

Hey!

So I’ve been playing for a while with my Digitakt and my Model: Cycles.
The way I have it set up is: the Digitakt as master clock, sending clock and Program Changes to the Model:Cycles. That way, when I change a pattern on the Digitakt, the Model:Cycles also changes pattern.

Now, I’m new to the Octatrack. I’ve been reading a lot and just found out about Parts and how I can use that in my advantage.
When I get comfortable enough with the Octatrack, I will use it with my Model:Cycles.
I want to send Clock and Program Changes from the Octatrack to the Model:Cycles. The problem is, unlike Digitakt, I can’t have a ‘new song’ on every Pattern on the Octatrack. I can only have a new song per Part on the Octatrack.

Is there any way to send Program Changes on certain Patterns only on the Octatrack to the Model:Cycles? I want the Model:Cycles to only change Patterns when I change Parts on the Octatrack, not Patterns on the Octatrack.

Maybe this can be done, I just don’t fully understand MIDI yet :slight_smile:
Thank you for reading,

Cheers!

1 Like

Then disactivate PROG CH SEND in the OT’s PROJECT > MIDI > SYNC menu.

2 Likes

thanks! But if I do it that way, will the Model:Cycles change Patterns when I change Parts on the Octatrack?

Cheers

How about if you keep each new part as a separate pattern? So pattern A01 on OT uses part 1, M:C plays pattern A01, OT A02 uses part 2, M:C plays pattern A02, and so on. Or separate them into banks instead, so part 2 uses bank B, part 3 uses bank C, etc etc. It’ll take a little organisation, but you can always copy and paste your M:C patterns around to match what’s happening on OT.

Yes.

1 Like

Hi,

I bought used OT MK II few days ago so I’m totally beginner. I’ve tried to sync it with model:cycles, so that I could control pattern changes with OT instead of pushing buttons on MC. But I still can’t figure it out. When I change pattern or part with OT it’s not changing it on MC.

OT midi sync settings are done like in OT 2 manual using OT as a performance hub
transpose = send, clock = send, program ch are left blank

Model:Cycles midi syn settings are:
CLK = ON, PCH = ON, and midi filter settings are all on

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum!

The Elektron gear uses Program Change messages for this purpose, which have to be sent and received on the same MIDI channel number.

If you want the OT to send a Program Change message every time you change its pattern, then:

• activate PROG CH SEND on that screen, and
  • set the channel number (“Ch”) on that screen to match the channel number (“PCH IN”) in the M:C’s CONFIG > MIDI > IN CHAN menu.
2 Likes