Octatrack vs Deluge

You don’t have ‘follow actions’, but in terms of dedicated hardware, the Deluge sequencer is the best around.

drawing audio parameter and midi automations

1 Like

I was thinking about notes drawing, like chords, legato, slides, editing… and so on, if it has the flexibility of a daw piano-roll.

Isn’t it hard to do zooming on longer musical sequences and see the notes together?

@darenager, a guy on Audiofanzine asked about OT vs Deluge vs Blackbox. Could you also compare them with BB?

Deluge is not as user friendly but more powerful than BB, lots of menu diving and scratch head moments, built in synth is ok, fx are a bit lacking. “Unlimited” parts.
BB is very stripped down, like a sketchpad for audio, simple direct, basic, but surprisingly nice features like the sequencer and song mode and quantised launching. 16 parts.
I’ll let you explain OT to him :wink:

I like them all for different things, BB quickest and most limited, OT is most flexible at audio, Deluge is very nice but lacks focus of what it wants to be, IMHO it tries to be all things to all men, however it does have some extremely nice features, polyphonic sample playback, multisampling, looping, but lots of menu diving and a cryptic LCD.

5 Likes

So Cryptic, not sure why they couldn’t at least use a screen like a SP-202/303/404.

Synthstrom are a very young company and personally I think they focussed on cramming in features, looking at features on other similar products and in many cases bettering them - but I don’t think they looked hard enough at user interface on other products IMHO. If they had got that side of things a bit better I think Deluge would have been even more successful and even better than it is.

Can’t be too hard on them though, I mean for a first product it got a lot right, and I like their attitude.

1 Like