Octatrack vs Deluge

Where you at?

1 Like

there is no “VS” imho - the octa is totally different kind of machine.

1 Like

There are !
Octatrack VS get a job
Octatrack VS my wife
Octatrack VS get a life

12 Likes

lol - but not vs deluge :wink:

1 Like

Octatrack VS Reality
Place your bets… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

They’re objectively bad effects. They’re super thin and harsh, there’s digital artifacts, you can clearly hear aliasing on the reverb and stepping on the filters. If these effects were in a stand alone effects unit no one would give it a second look.

Obviously plocking is an incredible feature, but that’s not “the effects” that’s sequencer automation.

The effects are definitely on the thin side and I only end up using a a few for bread and butter sounds.The ability to plock and modulate with lfo’s gives the effects way more mileage but yeah I wouldn’t be interested in them standalone either.

But I have sequenced some beautifully smooth sweeps with the octa filter - no stepping at all.

funny…
it never was a topic for me…
I just use them and yes, sometimes dark reverb is a bit like metal, but I do not care…
I like what the comb filter can do to my field recordings.
I like the delay, it is versatile…
phaser is ok, chorus too…
As I do noisy ambient soundcapes I like the amount of possibilities…
It is a tool… use it.

1 Like

Horses for courses really. If you like taking a sample on a wild journey and turning it into something bat shit crazy or completely unique then the OT’s FX work a treat IMO. If looking to apply FX in a bread and butter way then yeah, I guess they are a little bland.

Anyway, I really like the development and direction Deluge is going. If they can tweak and improve that VA engine that may just tip me over the edge with this one.

2 Likes

Those lights contantly flashing left to right are pretty annoying on the Deluge. One sequencer row is enough. But its like a fairground ride you want to get off but cant till it stops.

3 Likes

That‘s what i like about them :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: digital goodness

i want cenk do a deluge video

1 Like

Big thing about the ol Octa is 8 tracks of realtime samplers with per step input source/length and ability to playback the 8 recordings per step with sample locks on any of the 8 tracks all in realtime. All plocked with per step rate/pitch fx/general playback settings. All sliced up as well…
Then it just goes on and on with track length, scenes, parts, etc…
Multiplexed if your feeding these from the midi sequencer routed to gear and back into the inputs, and using realtime multi level re sampling.
In real time. Nothing else does that… The rest of the OT barely matters to me but is certainly playable…

I’m not even trying to say it’s better than deluge, deluge is awesome, just saying what I think OT’s main thing it does is…

2 Likes

Does the Deluge have the equivalent of record triggers or quantized sampling? The feature I use most on the OT is telling the recorder to only start recording once the pattern has restarted. This box looks fun as hell, but I primarily use OT as a loop based sampler. Would love a box that can handle that aspect as well plus have the addition of quality effects.

I’ve looked through the manual but it’s pretty sparse on sampling (it’s possible the Deluge is sparse on sampling).

1 Like

Oh no. I hope he doesn’t. Right now, the Deluge doesn’t interest me. The more videos I watch of it, the less interested I become (go figure). But I have no doubt that if Cenk did a video, it would be so musical and awesome that I would have to buy one.

This thread should be Novation Circuit vs Deluge

Asserting some comparison between the Octatrack and Deluge seems to lack too much common ground on multiple levels.

1 Like

Deluge also has the coolness and hip flashy cool vibe versus the plain stoic looking Elektron box! I had the chance to meet a guy with a Deluge and it looked like a Circuit on steroids and sounds amazing!

1 Like

Guess what I’ve just ordered?

An Octaluge?

5 Likes

A large pepperoni, cheese fries, 2 Haagen Das and a 1L Coke

7 Likes