Octatrack Tutorial Video: Mixer, FX Box, External Remixer

In this video I share how I use the Octatrack to mix and remix my other Elektron boxes live. This practice allows you to get the most out of 1 pattern and also teaches you the fundamentals of the Octatrack. You will learn how to create record trigs, one shot trigs, using the record menu, setting up THRU machines and Neighbor tracks, set up the Freeze Delay, record external gear perfectly quantized and the Octatrack “crossfade trick” to bring it all together. Longer than my other tutorials for sure.

Text version here for the OCTATRACK MK1 made by Christian Meier! https://www.patreon.com/file?h=34865834&i=5245484

34 Likes

Great. Will watch this one ASAP. Thanks for making

1 Like

Yeah, I’d love some feedback. It was kinda deep.

I’ll check it out. I have my own way of working that gets me where I want to go, but there is always things to learn.

1 Like

I just learned about 3 new things about the octatrack from watching this. Thanks for the great tutorial. SUBSCRIBED

3 Likes

Watching it. Very detailed. It’s a good tutorial for someone wanting to learn how to use the OT in this way. If they followed your instructions to a T, they would learn a lot…And possibly use the concepts you are showing them in their own way. Great vid. Thanx

2 Likes

…good job…thanx for sharing…know ot since ages…still something left to learn…

2 Likes

Thanks a lot ! Good use of button combo’s and well explained.

1 Like

Thank you!

I am so pumped to try this out! Thanks for sharing as always

1 Like

No problem! <3

1 Like

Very nice tutorial. As always, clear succinct style, easy to follow, no waffling.

Personally I think this is a good video for beginners to the octatrack, though some instructions would be different on OT MK1.

I respectufully disagree with the gain staging bit, but that is because I have my own way of doing things, and I use the compressor on master track 8.

The video presents one way of doing a somewhat specific thing. For those that dislike the freeze delay beat repeat effect (me) I guess you could replace that with another effect.

Anyway, solid excercise for anyone wandering how they might include OT with other gear.

2 Likes

Absolutely! The freeze delay is not necessary of course, I just like it. :slight_smile: I love this feedback. Putting a compressor on the master track and than resampling the master track will result in double compression as your resampled version again goes through your master track. You will no longer be able to hide the fact that you are playing a sampled copy of your live music. Unless you sample the master outs and if you do that then you will not be able to adjust your master outputs because it will be attenuating your sample based on the degree to which you altered your mix volume. As you said this is one way of doing things and that’s what is so great about the OT! So many different ways to do so many different things! No waffling, I love that.

1 Like

Hello mpiecora,

Thank you for your tutorial. English is not my native langage (and I am not fluent at all), but I can understand you : your explanations are easy to catch.

I am new to Octatrack Mk II and Elektron. Would you please consider to make a “beginner” tutorial to Octatrack.

• How to load sample from compact flash
  • How to create sequences
  • How to use banks, arranger, scenes,

I’m looking for a simple step by step tutorial that explains from A to Z the complete workflow to create music from scratch (using pre-recorded samples in the compact flash provided by Elektron).

I owned a Korg Electribe 2, I learned a lot with this Woody Piano Shark, who explained how to create a music from scratch in these step by step videos : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjsCEACKetQ

If this video already exists, please tell me,

Thank you very much,

Regards

Denony

1 Like

Hi! Thanks for your comment and I am sure that video exists in small pieces on YoutTube. I am interested in making a beginners series of Octatrack videos. I know that Cuckoo already has done something like that although he is much more “free-flow” than I am, which some people surely prefer! Keep checking in on my channel I release new stuff every week. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good on ya for making resources for aspiring OTists…

If your not using the cue outputs you can sample Src3 cue with T1-T7 cued… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sneaky!!! Gotta say I hadn’t thought of that one. I mean that is damn clever, well played. :ok_hand:t2:

1 Like

Nice tutorial @mpiecora :+1: As you said so many ways to do things on OT but always nice to see how different users approach, well done for a clear and well produced tutorial.

1 Like

Many thanks for your insight view!

1 Like

Hello mpiecora,

I have searched for videos and found Cuckoo’s ones. But, at the moment, they are still too complex for me. For example, in his first tutorial: Cuckoo loads samples in OT, by recording and slicing them, :astonished: Ok, but the easy way is to load them from the Compact Flash card provided by Elektron, isn’t it ?
Also, I really appreciate your “structured” videos.:slightly_smiling_face:

I hope you will make a beginner series, I have subscribed to your channel. I stay tuned !

Thank you,

Regards

Denony

1 Like