Octatrack - Triggering next pattern via MIDI controller

Yes, logical, that’s also why I said it’s not convenient nor satisfying.

I was referring to this :
Octatrack - Triggering next pattern via MIDI controller - #33 by hausland

Yes I know, but he didn t explain delay compensation there.

But u r doing it from digitakt? I mean is there delay compènsation in there?

Since so long time (I mean OT not new) no one at Elektron or user couldn t solve the small delay in syncronisation? That s pretty crazy to me!! :face_with_monocle:
I mean my TR8s is in perfect sync and no workarounds…

Same problem with other Elektrons. They need to receive the Program Change before the end of the current pattern. But as they send it before the end, they can be synced together.

You can do that with above @hausland post method.

Can MPCs be slaved with pattern changes externally controlled? They should, since so long time…

But here we don t talk about program change anymore.
U have a pattern on the OT with say a kick on 1st step and the same on the Force or Mpc.
When u press play on the Akai both kicks must be on same time and they aren t.
I don t think Elektron designs their machines not to sync to other machines… and still …

I mean how people sync say OT to Logic or anything else??

Ah ?

They can.
Set your Mpc correctly!

Program change works. Forget that for a moment. Let s just say we have just 1 pattern on OT and one on anything else… Mpc, Logic, TR8s… whatever other machine.
When we press play on the other machine, whatever is on step1 on both machines must play at the same time. If I sync anything to Force it works,… when trying with OT it has a slight delay. As it works with all the other machines it means there is nothing to set up more on the akai but on the OT.
Get my point?

Someone around here said this isn t present in AR2 and A4ll… as they sync in time.

If it’s to focus on non working things, yes.
You didn’t try the other method.

I tried but I am on Force and it doesn t work as on Mpc.
The step edit is different… I tried to put that in but it messes everything up.

Doepfer MSY2 or E-RM MIDIclock+ would help?

Will this allow me to trigger any A4 pattern I like when triggering a pattern on the OT? via Midi notes or whatever

That’s part of its job ! Maybe you should have a look at the blokas midi hub, which for roughly the same amount of money will get you usb support and 4 I/O din ports while being a lot more friendly to program…

I made a small video about it with maschine calling digitone patterns with midi notes if you want a glimpse of the workflow : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbISVkhoI5Y

2 Likes

Looks cool, it says it does “midi sync offset”, I don’t suppose it can offset multiple separate clocks with different delays like the ERM midi clock does? Or do all 4 midi outputs just send the exact same clock?

You can manipulate clock ticks with delays and have several clock signals if I remember correctly.

You should ask them, they are pretty responsive.

1 Like

Look there : Sync Delay - Midihub Documentation

There are no limit on how to use delays, you can route different delayed signal to any output and even to virtual ports which can be delayed further…

1 Like

I read here , the A4 switches instantly when triggerd via program change message, my setup:

OT, MPC, LXR, Erica, Analog 4. I connectivity mio XM

I want a quantized switch, after 32 bars, so i set master length to 16x32 = 512 , so the mpc sequence length has to be 32 bars also.

Novation had a video, where the OT, could get next sequence, and switched after a button press from a launchpad. I had previously only A4 which followed the OT, but my mate now has a MPC, and while we tried to synch MPC to Abelton via Abelton Link, that didnt work so well, i will try a midi centric approach next.

I can remap via the iconnectivity , so sending something to the other device wouldnt be a problem, i just belive i cant delay it with the iconnectivity, A note or CC trigger via Octatrack would for sure be possible. to send, but would require a 8:8 probability trigger to be set, so it launches on the last pattern repeat, or the pattern track clock speed has to be set to 1/8.

Ideally , i just want quantized pattern launch via the launchpad, without dealing with sequencer trigs.