Octatrack - Triggering next pattern via MIDI controller

U explained great!!
I tried in on my Force… but it doesn t seem to work… still that delay for changing the pattern… :frowning:

I tried with the Tr8s and works flawlessly… but woth the Octatrack it has a quite long delay until it changes the pattern.

1 Like

That delay is coming from your Octatrack.

You gotta change the pattern change mode on your OT. To do that, press FUNC + BANK to enter Pattern Settings, there you change the pattern change mode from “P.Length” to “2/16” (or any other value you want). Unfortunately, to my understanding, instant pattern changes on the OT are only possible if the sequencer is not running - the A4 & Rytm CAN change patterns instantly.

5 Likes

U r a fockin genious!!!
I really can t thank u enough!!

(If u ever need anything pls drop me a message… anything)

Somehow works perfect! Is it maybe that I have an old OT with one of the 1st os?

1 Like

Sure? Isn’t there a 2 steps offset?
When do you send the Program Change on Force ?

By default, OT should change pattern at the end of current pattern if the Program Change is sent before its end.

Not if slaved AFAIK.

With OT, dIrect pattern change is possible if you send RESTART note (35) just after Program Change : instant play.
@hausland, could you try this?

1 Like

It s just like other midi pattern sending midi to my synths . . After setting p length to 2/16 .
Perfect!! :slight_smile:

I don’t get how it can be perfect.
Chain Behavior quantizes pattern change. With PLEN, it waits the end of current pattern, and with 2/16 it wait next odd step (1,3,5,7,etc).

So with 2/16, if you want to sync AKAI patterns with OT patterns, it can create an unwanted offset…

2 Likes

I don t know, just works. I ll experiment more, but it works just like Tr8s, well.

Sorry to insist, as this was asked several times, I’d like to understand how did you set the AKAI for this to work as you want.

A specific pattern? A particular edited step? Which step of the AKAI pattern? 2 steps before end?

1 Like

Just a 2 measures empty pattern on the same midi channel as the OT in which I select in settings window the program change number. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Will try it tomorrow evening, been tied up with work all day today! (outrageous! lol :stuck_out_tongue:)

1 Like

Ok. Thanks. Did you checked if there wasn’t a 2 steps offset, with a drum loop référence in AKAI?

To my ears there isn’t. When I get to the studio I’ll redo it to make sure… :wink:

1 Like

Gents,

@sezare56 still haven’t come around to this, will probably have to wait till the weekend, work’s been busy this week.

@shinobi Sezare is right, you’ll have a slight mismatch in timing with the setting I suggested. The way to offset that is to trigger the program change message on your MPC two steps earlier than you want it to happen on (so if I want the OT’s pattern to change on beat 1.4, I’d place the prog change msg in the MPC on step 1.3.2 for accurate timing). At least I think this is correct in theory…will try this over the weekend as well to confirm :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I must say that I trigger from Force… but should be the same I guess.

1 Like

Just works :slight_smile:

1 Like

Video demo then! :content:

1 Like

:thinking: Thanks but is it OT only?
If so, doesn’t proove anything.
On both machines : a simple steady beat with snare on steps 5 and 13 would be more obvious imho.

Left the studio at the moment. Whenever I will come back I ll try that too. But I m telling you is in sync with the Force 100%. When changing sequences.

1 Like

That would be good (surprising) news!