Octatrack Tips & Tricks (OT Tips)

Funny enough in the lab notes doc I’m working on I mention this method of using exact number of samples for pitch, as well as getting another 2 octaves down using rate, and numbers for additional octaves.

5 Likes

Was checking out @Veets’s wonderful :3lektron: Next level Guide and came across this which I never considered, makes we want to get into plays free tracks more. The clip is from pg. 73 and its continued and expanded upon on pg. 74, link to PDF below…

10 Likes

Throwing Snow getting FULL use out of an OT…

10 Likes

If you like the way a sample sounds at rate 48 AKA 3/4 speed, but still want it to stay in time, change its pattern length to 3/4. Depending on the type of sample and the rest of the bits you got going on, you may need to do this for every track so it all remains in time.

5 Likes

Anyone got a tip for quickly toggling quantize record, in the same way I can do on the A4? Mostly I record unquantized then perform it manually later if necessary but it strikes me I could be missing a shortcut.

P-lock override? P-locking the p-locks?

I discovered this one today.

I have never seen it discussed before. For me, it is very handy.

I wanted to be able to quickly adjust the pitch of all trigs on a pattern, even if the pitch was already p-locked.

But, I did not want to use a scene, because I wanted to quickly duplicate patterns and change values like, e.g., pitch, and have them apply to the whole pattern, so that I could build pattern variations. This here seems to work a treat.

So…

I setup a custom LFO at a fixed level, and I made its target the pitch parameter.

BOOM!

Now, simply turning the depth knob adjusts the pitch relative to the existing p-locks.

It would probably also be really cool to map depth to a scene, modulate depth with another LFO, or p-lock it.

This would obviously work for any parameter.

21 Likes

Search a bit…:wink:
You can also use square lfo with speed = 0, faster to set up.
Can be used for fine tuning (0.2/127 precision), slice offset to change a drum kit…
OctaEdit - Win/OSX Octatrack Software Editor

4 Likes

Nice! Yeah - I would not have found that. :slight_smile:

Great tip on your part too. I just tried it. IIRC, it is invert square wave for going up; square wave for going down.

1 Like

I did this with my faderfox (UC-4) buttons to have my master-track-delay allways under my fingers. I setup the UC-4 buttons to the same delay time the OT trig-buttons are set (1,2,4,8 etc.) In use though it will result in more ‘glitches’, you can here the delay switching to another time. While using the OT trig buttons for that you don’t here that.

4 Likes

Accidentally discovered this last night…

Selecting a sample in the SRC SETUP sample list and pressing [FUNC] + [LEFT]/[RIGHT] will load the next or previous sample from the directory the original sample resided in.

I thought it was helpful and don’t see it in the key command summary so, I thought I’d share.

6 Likes

Yeah, that’s very useful. I usually fill my sample slot list so that I always have a bunch of kicks, snares, hats, claps, single cycle wavs etc in row. With [Function] + [Left]/[Right] I can easily try a different samples on a track.

2 Likes
Original Post

Not sure if this is a bug or a tip but you can use reverb and delay together…

1. Use dark reverb on FX2 , set all your parameters.
  2. While still on FX2 just copy that page, once copied, select FX2 to none(just remove it) this one is important as having two reverbs will create some wired unpleasant pops…
  3. Go to FX1 and paste the previously copied page, you won’t see anything but you will hear the reverb.
  4. Go to FX2 and choose delay.

Not sure how well the machine is optimised to handle these two effects, maybe it’s fine… I don’t know.

Moderator edit - to avoid two threads filling up with identical discussion on this …

reply on the thread linked below please

in all likelihood, this may now be fixed as you’ve drawn attention to it

28 Likes

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Reverb on FX1 slot hack

You can arm individual one shot trigs in grid record mode by clicking them. I didn’t see this when I searched the manual but may have missed it. It was fun in use on a hi hat pattern so I thought I’d share.

1 Like

In fact it arms all one shot trigs of the track. Clicking on one suffice to arm the others. Maybe safer to use YES or FN+YES. :wink:

2 Likes

I could have sworn it was only arming the trigs clicked on. I’ll have to double check.

1 Like

To stop the sequencer without stopping recordings, press PLAY (pause). You can stop recordings by pressing STOP afterwards.

Usefull for a “long” internal recording, to stop the sequencer and continue to record fx tails at the end.

(Probably written somewhere?)

14 Likes

Does that work for recorder buffers recording any source? Or just internal (T -8, cue, main).

Yes, I edited, it was an example.

Is there a shortcut for ARM ALL? (for one-shots)
Ive disabled stop-stop, as Im so used to using this for reset transport/ all -notes-off , so this led to losing recorder buffers contents (by unwanted re-recording) … so i wanted this to be more explicit.
similarly, Ive disable yes/no, and use f+yes/no.

those that have had OT longer, have you disabled these? or are you just more careful with how you hit play/stop…