Octatrack time machine

At a first glance I thought you have just posted screenshots … :rofl:

:laughing: Those are just raw captures from the tapes, some of the levels are pretty low and on some the noise floor is really high, also some have a difference in left and right levels, not too worried though, but it will be a challenge to get them sounding halfway decent. The OT eq and compressor should help a bit though.

Here is a little clip of some progress, the 303 clip that you hear wasn’t recorded with low filter settings on the tape, I used the OT filter to approximate the muted closed filter 303 sound, I think it was very successful at approximating it.

4 Likes

Could you elaborate?
Ah…juicy 303 sound…:content:

Sure, when crossfader is at A the 303 sound is exactly as recorded on the tape, on the tape I never had a section of the 303 with the filter closed (that lovely dark muted bass sound) so I used the OT filter to get that sound, when crossfader is at B. It might seem kind of trivial but actually it was important for me to recreate as close as possible the sound of the 303 with closed filter, no resonance and a little env mod, I wasn’t sure it could be done (sufficient to convince me) but I was very happy with it.

3 Likes

Sounds great.

1 Like