Octatrack thru/neighbor question

Hey all,

I’m getting really confusing results out of my octatrack and wondering if anyone know’s what might be going on. I’m following this tutorial: Octatrack Tutorial Video: Mixer, FX Box, External Remixer! - YouTube

But in summary the setup is; I have a drum machine coming in on AB, I’m using T1 as a thru with source as A B vol max (CD are -). I’m then using T2 as a neighbor.

If I put a filter on T2, it’s like I’m getting parallel processing, I can hear the resonance from the filter, but I can also hear the dry signal. More confusing is if I Mute T1 or T2, it still plays, but it sounds different. I would have though that if I muted T1 then there would be no source for T2, and if I muted T2 there would be nothing routing it to master?

I have this setup in studio mode and I’m listening through headphones, but I’m also noticing the same in my monitors.

I know the answer is probably super obvious, but I’m been menu diving for ages and can’t seem to solve, any ideas?

Check your mixer settings. If you’re using a THRU machine, you need to have the mixer totally down for the inputs.

2 Likes

Is that the Dir or the gain? I’ve been using the gain to balance the drums against the synth on CD

Also make sure you don’t have another Thru track using the same inputs.

1 Like

Gain is gain. put that up all the way for unity.

Dir should be all the way off/down.

Ok had a play but still getting the same issues.

Mixer settings:
Mix: exactly in the middle M-C
Out Main: +0
Out cue: +0
AB Dir: 0
AB Gain: +63
CD Dir: 0
CD Gain +63

T1
Source: Thru
Source INAB: A B
Source INAB Vol: Max
Source INCD: -
Source INCD Vol: centre
T2
Source: Neighbor
T8 is a master track

All other tracks are muted

Ok the plot thickens:

In my mixer I’ve swapped the headphones to be only master and I hear nothing, but my cue it getting audio. T1 and T2 aren’t cue’d or muted, I can’t work out why they aren’t coming out of master though.

I have a playback trig on step one of T1

Solved, sorry to waster everyone’s time, and thanks for your help!

T8/master had a freeze delay on it which was locked off

6 Likes

Don’t worry. I’d say every Octatrack had something like this happen in the beginning :smile:

1 Like