Octatrack, smooth parts transition tips?

I seem to remember running into something like that too. Pattern length was 64, RLEN was 64, I initiated sampling and hit pattern change (to a pattern with a different part) while sampling. I think somehow it ended up using the RLEN of the 2nd Part/Pattern.

I think it was down to the track recorders, so once again, you were on the money :slight_smile: The recorder in part 2 was set to record all inputs, and it seems that the one shot trigger started to run at times without me manually activating it.

2 Likes

Yeah, I bet there’s some way to recreate what happened. Even though the OT can seem buggy from time to time, it operates very logically and usually with some testing you can reproduce what happened, which from then on allows you to avoid that situation and use a slightly different method.

I haven’t narrowed it down but there’s certain orders of doing things that lead to recorders using another part or patterns settings you switched from instead of the intended one. Like I said above I think it has to do with how and when you switch parts, when you start and when you stop recording, stopping and starting with part switches in between, that kind of stuff… Since I haven’t narrowed it down that’s why I give the “play it safe” recommendations above that basically avoids a chunk of stuff surrounding the issue while still not knowing the very specifics of how/when the issue occurs.

About the one shots, among other ways all of them get armed by simply pressing yes outside of grid recording and also by double stopping, it’s super easy to accidentally arm them. In the personalize menu you can disable the yes/no arm/disarm and also you can disable the double stop arming. This way you must press function+yes to arm them which makes it way less prone to unintended arming…

Just for moral support I’ll add that I don’t have issues using the OT for all manner of sampling and sampling tricks, you kind of learn how to do it but also what to avoid, and eventually you have a project set up that’s dialed in and a method to use that you know is reliable and then your good to go… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for all your help :slight_smile: I’m fairly confident I’ll get the hang of this pretty quickly, and also that I’ll be crying quite a bit at times. Disabling the one-shot arming seems like a good idea for projects like this.

Here’s a track I made with that project. Not the best song, but at least I finished it :smiley:

4 Likes

Nice work! I like it…
Definitely got some OT stuff goin on… :slight_smile:

Thx :slight_smile: Yeah, I really love using slices already. Set the slider to scroll through slices, much fun :smiley:

1 Like

Just a tip there’s been a bug that makes your recorder buffer slices disappear after power cycle. I use start points instead, they work the same as if you made slices of equal length…

Using start points like slices for buffers:

Start points allow you to target playback from 128 different positions, 128 slices…
For the equivalent of a 64 slice grid you use the even number start points:
0=slice1
2=slice2
4=slice3
6=slice4, etc…

Key start points are:
0: beginning of bar 1
32: beginning of bar 2
64: beginning of bar 3
96: beginning of bar 4

If your source is a 64 step pattern, you can target points in the recording that are specific steps from the pattern using the equation:
(the step# would be the same slice# for a 64 slice cut)

(Step# x 2)-2 = start point.
So for example:
step/slice 33=start point 64 (33x2)-2=64
step/slice 57=start point 112 (57x2)-2=112

-Major benefit of using start points for live sample remixes is you can change tempo, rerecord, and your remix is in time…
If you change tempo with slices it will work but not if you rerecord at the new tempo, you have to reslice again for the new tempo…

5 Likes

Hey guys great info here!
I’m reviving this thread to ask a question regarding switching parts. I am able to keep everything quantized and working as it should except for the fact that if I switch parts mid pattern, the sound cuts out until it reaches the end of the pattern and starts over. I copied the pattern over made sure the length is the same, but I can’t get the audio to switch mid pattern. I followed the steps exactly as it shows in Cenk’s video and tried the info suggested here. Does anyone have suggestions for a setting that I may be missing?

Cenk may be using more trigs on tracks.

When you change Part mid pattern it is normal the machine cuts sound. One musician stops playing, goes back, new musician comes and… waits for the trig that tells him to start. Even if you use the same machine type in the new part this is the new musician.

1 Like

The on,y trick i would see is to set up a delay in order to have the trails playing while changing part and waiting for a new retrig.

Can delay trails be heard in that case?

I’m not sure – try preparing both Parts to have same delay settings.

It should be working better after slicing audio (or using start parameter) and placing as many trigs as possible, but…

Isn’t it what happens when you change pattern for one linked with another part?

1 Like

After looking over the video available online, it does seem that Cenk is just using delays to mask the part change and swapping very close to the end of the pattern. Though in the tutorial video of this process it seems like he switches the part halfway through the pattern and it continues to play the audio on the first part until the pattern ends. I would share the video, but as it is paid content and I am not the creator, nor do I have his permission to share it, I won’t. I feel like there may be an obscure setting that I am missing or perhaps I need to swap while playing from my record buffer, hmm. I’ll keep playing with it and see if I can figure it out.

Also Mike does say he doesn’t think they are intended to be changed mid-pattern, but Max (defenestration) goes on to say…

…Mike then goes on to agree with him and admit that he was just saying that to help others from getting too lost in the idea of what parts are. I am still learning about them, but I have overcome most of the hurdles involved and have a pretty good logical understanding after reading merlin’s guide about a dozen times. I’m just curious if anyone has a different experience than I have.

1 Like

Delay trails can be used to transition and it seems like I can just be careful to make sure I’m swapping at the end of a pattern or use a different transition trick as there are plenty to be had.

When you are already aiming for switching a part at the end of a pattern, then why even switch it manually and not automate it? Just copy the pattern and use a different part with the copy seems much more streamlined to me.

2 Likes

My goal is to setup the thru track that records into a flex track that has recorded the input of a bar. Then swap to the other part that uses that flex recording as the new playback. This allows me to modify the thru machine pattern while the audience is listening to the flex playback, then xfade over to the new pattern.

I still don’t see why this would require a manual part switch. IMHO you are making this much more complicated as it needs to be.

I’m saying during a performance I want to record a pattern while tweaking sounds and when I feel good about what’s coming out of the speakers, switch the part over to loop the recorded flex track and manipulate the thru. Can you explain what you mean by automate the part switch, maybe I am misunderstanding.

Oooh, I meant in the middle of a playing pattern using the part menu. This can be done but you have to intricately program the pattern and parts to make sure the result is desirable. Switching to a pattern linked to another part is usually smoother…

-Octatrack safe workflow with patterns - #21 by Open_Mike

2 Likes

I actually never thought about changing a part in the part menu. I always go through a pattern change. It seems to me that the use of part is so counter intuitive that i wanna stay as far as possible from dealing with it :wink:

2 Likes