Octatrack sends midi clock when stopped

My octatrack has started doing this and i can’t figure out how to stop it. Anyone else experienced this?

it always does that. it’s normal.

1 Like

no, midi clock should only transmit when you press play otherwise it wouldn’t be very usable for syncing other sequencers.

it should according to who or what? i’m telling you, it’s default behaviour of the OT and you can’t turn it off.
in most setups it helps and in some it is problematic. i agree it would be handy to have a way to switch it on or off, but you don’t.
the mpc 1000 for example stops the clock when you hit stop. it’s just different default behaviour but none of the options is right or wrong. as long as your slaved sequencers react correctly to transport you’re fine.

no, midi clock should only transmit when you press play otherwise it wouldn’t be very usable for syncing other sequencers.[/quote]
Why do you think that this behaviour “wouldn’t be very usable for syncing other sequencers”?

The MIDI clock message only inform the slaved devices of the current tempo setting of the master. Pressing play sends a MIDI Start message, which is what prompts other devices to begin playing.

In fact, although it is not a requirement, the MIDI specification suggests that sending clock while the sequencer is stopped is advantageous:

If Timing Clocks (F8h) are sent during idle time they should be sent at the current tempo setting of the transmitter even while it is not playing. Receivers which are slaved to incoming Real Time messages (MIDI Sync mode) can thus phase lock their internal clocks while waiting for a Start (FAh) or Continue (FBh) command.

Is the receipt of clock messages actually causing a problem for you?

If so, you can stop the OT from sending clock messages by deactivating CLOCK SEND in the PROJECT > MIDI > SYNC menu, or deactivate clock receipt in your slaved device.

I am new to Octatrack and because it sends out clock all the time it messed up my live system. I can’t reclock other devices downstream (a pedalboard) without multiple complications. IMO this should be an option that Elektron gives us. Would like to hear if anyone has found a simple workaround suitable for live use (i.e. no menu diving). Thanks!

If it is really a problem for you downstream, there are hardware midi boxes that allow you to set up custom filters, and with that you can filter out clock. Now, this may mean that you will also filter out the “Transport” messages, like start and stop too. Maybe. The guys at Switched On in Austin Texas may be able to suggest such a box, usually small and 5v powered standalone, configured in advance on a computer over USB. Good luck!

1 Like

Midi processors. Some are midi powered, hence no power supply.