Octatrack - sell it to me

I think it is true to say even users who are well comfortable with the OT occasionally still have WTF moments, nature of the beast really, and pales into insignificance when viewed as a whole. After all there are plenty of simple other samplers out there, OT is unique, love it.

6 Likes

:raised_hands:

Iā€™ll see you in the queue! This will be my third time with the unit. First one (a MKI some years ago) went because I just didnā€™t get it and was basically using it as a glorified drum machine, and the second one (a grey MKII) went to fund an Analog Rytm and part of my rent/bills at the time. Iā€™m not going to let this next one go. Itā€™s simply a fantastic machine :black_heart:

3 Likes

Rhythm or Octatrack Craig?

Both! Rytm is not only great for drums going into OT but also for processing stereo samples taken from my Bitwig Grid synths before the OT.

1 Like

Lol. I only ask if you were forced to only have one. Which one? I know its a cruel question though :slight_smile:

Harsh. I donā€™t think I can separate them. Iā€™m pretty sure I canā€™t live without the AR now that Iā€™m so used to using its analog engines and the master FX - though I could spend a few weeks sampling everything possible if push came to shove. And OT is just, you know, unique. So, if I had to pick one, OT??? But thenā€¦ Gah, I canā€™t decide!

1 Like

It was a harsh question. But i love these sort of questions. It sort of tests your deepest motives. Like The Matrix. Red or Blue pill dilemma. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Donā€™t know if you were just asking hypothetically but what are you currently using for drums? Do you currently have a sampler that youā€™re getting good mileage out of?

Your MPC One doesnā€™t hold a candle to OTā€™s looper abilities.

If you mean Ableton Live then yes, youā€™re covered. But unless you have your template setup, touā€™ll have to drop devices into your track first, create device chains tweak etc. On the OT, it being hardware, everything is in its place, max 1-2 button presses away. If you are cool with software then yes, few things beat Live (or any other DAW) for flexibility. If you want hands-on creativity, Iā€™d say OT is the ticket.

Again, I donā€™t agree. The OT is an integrated whole meant to be at the heart of your setup and all its parts are directed towards that. The MPC One/Live does lots as well, but the integration of its different feature sets and UI are inconvenient for live use at best.

Nope! In terms of individual parts, yes. In terms of it all coming together in a whole, no.

1 Like

ā€˜ā€™
Looks like this thread has sold plenty OTs thus far to everyone BUT the OP :joy:
ā€˜
ā€™
ā€˜ā€™
I read a few more comments by OP on the limitations of the OTs design (no. of tracks, display, internals etc). Which brings me back to my original response to this thread:
ā€˜
ā€˜
ā€˜ā€™
If you donā€™t want one, you donā€™t want one. I certainly donā€™t want to spend my energy selling it to you or anyone. So Iā€™m out again :slight_smile:
ā€˜
ā€™

EDIT: I see the OP has actually ordered an OT!!! Enjoy man!!! Youā€™ll hopefully see what the hype is about, if you need any help using it, donā€™t be shy to ask! :slight_smile: also, black one looks LOVELY!

1 Like

For the people who are waiting for a Black version. If it doesnā€™t happen in the first quarter how long will you wait?

Not yet. Heā€™s waiting to see if anything betters it at NAMM :joy: But once NAMM has come and gone and the release date has been announced, heā€™ll for sure have a black OT MKII

Good question. Iā€™m getting itchy fingers already. Iā€™ve contemplated saying fuck it and picking up a cheap MKI or a not so cheap grey MKII in the last couple of weeks. Must resist, seeing as the black one will match my Rytm and Medusa perfectly :sweat_smile: Come on, Elektron!

2 Likes

Grey Mk2 is where itā€™s at manā€¦ :wink:

3 Likes

It is totally okay to set a grey OT besides a black Rytm!

Of course! I have a grey SH-01A too. But I want a black OT, just because it looks amazing :blush:

1 Like

But beauty is only skin deep :slight_smile:

Itā€™s funny because, not long ago, all my gear was black, mostly by accident, but I think I definitely like the grey OT most.

But you cannot buy one, while you really want an OT :wink:

1 Like

Iā€™ll give them until the end of January to get it ready for me :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yeah the grey one looks the business for sure, Iā€™m glad they are doing both still, of course the correct answer is have 1 of each :laughing:

2 Likes