Octatrack - sample editing

I find the static file one frustrating. I’d love to be able save slices out of a long recording. it seems I have to use a Flex machine or a record buffer to do this. That means setting memory up to allow me to assign the long recording to a Flex machine (because maybe I have 15 mins of analog knob-twiddling that could yield some sweeps and risers).

Is this the only way?

In this case I’d assign the sample to a static, slice into 64, find the slice which contains the part of interest, then record into a buffer, then change track to flex, save the recorded file to new flex, then further edit from there. Seems a bit long winded but actually pretty quick once you get used to it.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip! I’ll give it a try over the weekend.

If I want to slice a sample, I do it like this:

Create a slice grid with the approximate number of slices that you need, then switch the trig buttons to trigger slices.

Then just tap a trig, fine tune the slice start and end points, and move on. It’s really fast.

Yes you can apply fades to sliced samples but not per slice in any convenient way. What I would do in this case (if I understand you correctly) is to leave the slices as they are but use the amp hold and decay to shape how they play back.

2 Likes