Octatrack safe workflow with patterns

Looking for a quick answer on Pattern Save: (got OT mk2-3 weeks ago)
For example, if I have a track 4 melody playing on Pattern 1, then copy Pattern 1 to Pattern 2, and I mute track 4 on Pattern 2, is there a way to save Pattern 2, with track 4 being muted and not playing? Or do I need to mess with something else?

Mutes are not saved per pattern they are global, you can work around it by using the arranger setting the mutes states for each row and moving between rows manually. Or you could just copy the pattern and remove the trigs of the track you do not want to play.

5 Likes

awesome, will make a note. Thanks.
Hmm. just tried removing the trigs from track 4 as suggested, but I am still hearing the Track 4 melody coming around on steps 16-32, but dont see it lit in red…?

Probably a simple way to start is to use 1 bank of patterns for all your variations, it can be quite an elegant workflow given how easy it is to copy/paste. Main thing to remember is that changes to a part will affect all patterns which use that part, fortunately it is easy enough to copy parts also, so as long as you don’t need more than 4 parts per bank with a little planning you should be able to get most basic structures within this scheme. If you need more just copy to another bank your parts and patterns and make additional variations, a notepad helps here to keep track of things IMHO.

1 Like

Thanks. Yes, just started tackling ‘Parts’, reading on this forum all the aspects. I can see long term that ‘Parts’ will give an expanded option when I understand their usefulness, flow and purpose in an actual composition.

It is a Loop on a Flex track…ideas?

Go into tr4 record, press page/scale button, do you see trigs on any pages?

Edit: Turn loop off in attributes in audio editor.

2 Likes

Found the bugger on Trig 16…sorry…thanks.

Trying to understand and practice this forum page about ‘Parts’.
So I just did a ‘Bank 1’ of 6 patterns using Samples on Flex Tracks 1 thru 6, and PART 1. All good --Saved all patterns, Parts and Project.
Then, started a New ‘Bank 2’ with totally new Pattern 1, using PART 2. and all New Samples in the Flex slots Tracks 1 thru 6. All good. Now I switch back to listen to my original Bank 1’ of 6 patterns with supposedly the original Bank 1 Samples on Flex Tracks 1 thru 6, and PART 1, and they are playing the Bank 2 samples and sound totally wrong…
What did I do that caused this? In theory, everything in Bank 1 should have been the Original Bank 1 and Part 1…Thank God I saved the original Bank 1 stuff. All confused now.

If you don’t save the parts regularly it will reload the last saved part. So switching back means reverting.

Only time the OT will revert to a saved part is by using the part reload function.

I replied on the parts thread thinking it would be more appropriate…

1 Like

mpie - I made sure that I saved all including ‘Parts’ after a few changes, so I dont think that was it… but Thanks.

Understood! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think you changed your sample slots. Sample slots are per project, so even if you change banks/parts your new samples cannot use the same sample slots, so in your bank 2 you should have used, for example, sample slots 7 to 12. There are 128 slots for Flex + 128 for Static.
You can of course use the same samples in different patterns/banks if that’s what you are after.

3 Likes

yeah, I think you’re right, I probably did change the sample slots…

Having a heck of a time adding samples into slots…its very tedious… ((back and forth Choose Flex or Static, Arrows, find folders, Scroll thru folders and samples, audition sample, go back, repeat again for the next sample )))
then I end up adding the wrong sample to the wrong slot half of the time… Is there a better, faster, safer way to do this? also, what about deleting a sample in a slot?

1 Like

I’ve heard of Octa Edit but haven’t used it.
I’m very new to Octatrack, just a couple of weeks with it. I just found out double clicking a track button (takes you to sample slot list) then Func + Play (clear) deletes the sample in a slot, by the way.

The first bit ends up being muscle memory… May seem like a bitch at first, but learning a G chord on guitar was also a bitch at first.

Also, if you’re used to working in a DAW finding samples that way is very similar, just with the added advantage of a mouse. All you’re doing is searching through folders.

The second bit I have no idea how you’re adding the wrong sample to a slot… If you’re auditioning a sample, simply press yes to select it and it’ll be added.

thanks, I hate music, but I’m addicted to it.