Octatrack + retrokits rk-002 cable = poly synth

Thanks! Just found them on the Retrokits website. Will flash the cable this evening.

1 Like

Please post the links if you have time!

@sezare56 This is link to the DUY exchange portal : https://www.retrokits.com/rk002/exchange/

3 Likes

I was unsuccessful to get the polymux to work on the OT via the Modifier script. It worked like a charm on the Digitakt. Did you use Modifier or Digitakt Euclid/PolyMUX/ARP?

1 Like

Whatā€™s this?

Sorry, ā€œfirmwareā€

1 Like

Can the polyphonic trick be done with an iCM4+?

No, Icm4+ does a basic mapping. Unless there was a huge updateā€¦

Nice evolution. I have to try thatā€¦

1 Like

ĀÆ_(惄)_/ĀÆ

Finally got around to re-testing this and it does indeed work! Neat

3 Likes

Hey @sezare56, did you ever get to test the Rk-002 with an OT? Did it work? Do you have Mk 1 or 2? Thanks!

I didnā€™t tested but you can rely on Retrokits and as it works with DT, I canā€™t see any reason it would work with OT. Common midi notes on different midi channels principle. Standard midi messages. Even if it was not working, the script can be modified to do so.

I have a black beauty, MKI and MKII share the same OS, so once again, you can go for it.

1 Like

Hi guys, Iā€™ve got an OT + rk-002 + keystep, but canā€™t get the keystep to trigger any audio tracks. The OT OS 1.40 offers this setting:

Added support for triggering trig modes on audio tracks via MIDI. To enable this, set AUDIO NOTE IN in MIDI CONTROL to either FOLLOW TM or MAP/TRACK.

Iā€™ve tried both of these options, no luck. Iā€™ve tried all the auto channels in the midi set up and going through each and playing all octaves of the keystep, but still no luck. Retrokits says the keystep should have enough power to power the rk-002, so that shouldnā€™t be the problem.

All videos about rk-002 are about DT, so the correct set up for OT seems to remain elusive. Not sure how to further debug my set up, so if anyone has any pointers, that would be super helpful!

Worked perfectly for me.
For RK002 settings I chose channel 1 as base, 8 poly voices.
OT : MAP /TRACK, choose Slices with MIDI button + arrows
Keyboard : channel 1

3 Likes

Thanks! Actually I got it to work, so pretty happy about that :slight_smile:

Next issue, possibly related, is recording like you did in that video. I am using REC3 (source main) and a recorder trig, but seems its only capturing only a few of the tracks. E.g. I can play a Cmaj7 chord on the keystep, hear a Cmaj7 chord out of the main OT output, but when I play back the captured sample, I hear just one note, sometimes two, but never the full Cmaj7.

Did you do anything special in your video to make this work? Thanks for your help here :slight_smile:

I simply recorded in Live Recording mode. I didnā€™t used recorders.

If recording source is MAIN, you should be able to record what you hear (listening to Main outputs or Headphones Mix = Main).

2 Likes

Hmm now have a strange problem: headphone output is polyphony and main output is like some just a few scatter notes (never polyphony).

For example, I play a C triad on the Keystep and in the headphones I heard a C triad. If I then plug in the main output to monitors, I play a C triad, I get a few scattered notes, never polyphony.

I noticed this when trying in Manual Sampling mode, Recording Setup 1 has SR3 as Main. When I play a chord, I hear through the headphones a chord, but then when I play back the recording, its like just a few scattered notes.

How is it possible that the headphone output plays polyphony and the main output doesnā€™t?

Not sure if relevant for debugging, but working fine on Digitakt with recording SRC INT L+R.

What balance between cued tracks and main outputs have you set for the headphones in the MIXER menu?

1 Like

Good call on checking the cue!

I figured it out. Some notes on the Keystep were setting some tracks to cue, and therefore they werenā€™t going to main. Wow.

Any idea on how to prevent this from happening? Pressing some other notes outside Octatrackā€™s two octaves also does other stuff, like starting the sequencer.