Octatrack recording issues : (

Hey all, hoping someone can possibly help me out here.
Had the OT for just over a month and am absolutely loving it, however I’m having a lot of issues with recording, it’s really frustrating/soul crushing, as I am following along step by by instructions (RTFM + youtube tutorials + Thavius Beck video course)

The issue I’m getting is with resampling.

No matter how I configure the memory settings, the record setup settings, it will only record just over a bar. It just doesnt make sense to me

Here’s what I’m doing:

• T8 is set as master track
  • T1 is a flex machine routed to Recorder 1

Memory Settings

• Dynamic Recorders - YES
  • Reserve Recordings I have tried every option. I’ve tried turning it off, i’ve tried reserving R1-R8, just R1, maxed out the reserve length…always get the same result.

T1 Rec Setup:

• Inputs A/B + C/D are set to OFF
  • Record length set to 64 (or max, or 32, none work)
  • SRC3 set to recieve audio from T8
  • Record Trig set to ONE2

• Place a trig on step 1
  • Play
  • Remove trig
  • Play the 64 step pattern
  • Stop
  • Go to T1 audio editor and it only records around 20 steps

I should also probably mention an unrelated bug I experienced with the OT, when I first received it, the previous owner hadnt deleted their stuff off of it. When I plugged it into my computer to load files on to the CF card, it said I only had a few GB left. So I deleted heaps of stuff off the card, yet it still said i only had the same small amount of storage capacity.

I backed up the content, reformatted the CF card and chucked the content back on to the CF card.

The next time I went to load more on via USB mode, I found the same issue, the OT stating it only had like 8gb remaining when it def had about 45gb remaining

I reformatted again but this time didnt load any old sets/projects, just my sample library, and I havent noticed the issue again so far thankfully.

But I just thought I’d mention it, just in case any of you experts think that this something to be concerned about.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me!

Do you have a four bar page set up on the track recorder?
Do you have only one recorder trig at the start of the pattern?

That sounds like the most likely issue, eg either too many recorder trigs, or the track recorder is set to less than 64 steps.
This will mean the track recorder re-records 16 steps over and over again.

1 Like

Hey thanks for the reply!

Yeah four bars (64 steps)

I place one trig on step one of T1 (recording track)
No other trigs are placed on T1 (I’ve ensured this)

I’m thinking maybe I should do the EMPTY RESET which clears the RAM and all data

He mentions he removes the rec trig so that’s not it.

It sounds a bit odd indeed. Can you take a picture of the SD card to see if it is either the original one or a compatible one? Sounds a bit like it has some issues with writing that might be the cause.

Edit: wasn’t very sharp. It’s written to RAM first so forget my comment :wink:

(For the type of use you can use one-shot trigs by the way. Those trigger once and you can re-arm a track if you want to record again)

How about the master pattern length? Your track might be set to play back 64 steps, but if the master pattern length is at 16, it will only play a bar.

4 Likes

Sample are written directly to RAM until saved so card should not be the issue.

Best thing to try is save project, start a new project with default settings, test that with RLEN set to max.

If that works load your other project and see if it now works, or not.

3 Likes

master set to 64/MAX

I’ll trty other avenues first, pretty reluctant to fuck with the CF card from what I’ve read regarding how easy it is to break the pins haha

A few things that might help narrow down the problem:
-have you tried using a one-shot recorder trig on your recording track? does it behave any differently?
-can you record a long sample by other means, eg manually triggering record on/off and running an instrument in?
-on the same pattern that won’t let you record a 64-beat sample, will it let you play back a long sample?
-on the same pattern, will it let you open the audio editor for a long sample, and play it back in the editor? Is anything weird about it?

1 Like