Octatrack recording BPM - fixing?

Hi there,

I’m doing my stuff live.
Can anyone tell me how to fix the recording buffer attributes? I mean:
Default bpm 170
length is alway max
ff I doa quantized recording it always, i mean ALWAYS gets 85
if I do a free recording, say 30 seconds of guitar solo, OT dreams a kind of bpm for it

I’d like my recording setup to remain at 170 so if I do the sampling in BANK1 and go to BANK2 where the recordings are set as the samples they would play at 170 without any kind of OT-dreamed bpm.

I’m getting mad about this… I assume things would be ok if I only used fixed length recs maxed at 64 but a guitar solo? That’s just not enough…

Any thoughts?

BR, Dávid

i find the best way for me to begin with the octatrack is a “blank” template with all my favorite settings saved

i mostly work with flex machines and in addition have 1 thru track… so i have this saved as part of this template. i have certain tracks set up to sample from certain inputs etc. midi settings…etc etc

there are so many things you can do with the octa i feel you need a template(s) to save yourself a lot of time

all that to say…set the buffers up how u want them and then save that as a template

1 Like

If it’s not a quantized recording the OT will make a BPM according to its length, which probably won’t be anywhere near what you’re using in the project (having relatively arbitrary start and end points), so in that case turn off timestretch for that track and ignore the sample BPM.

The quantized recording thing I think is something I have often encountered too, though usually the opposite, where I do a quantized recording with the tempo at something like 85 bpm and the sample attributes bpm gets set to 170. I just go and change it (function + up or down arrow I believe doubles or halves the sample tempo in attributes page), but it’s an obnoxious extra step to have to do every time I sample something, where I think it should be easy enough for the OT to link the quantized recording tempo with the current pattern tempo. Often times in a new project the OT won’t do this, but then inevitably at some point it will, and continues to do so, and I’ve never been able to figure out if there’s something I’m doing to cause it. Just one of the many OT quirks I live with.

Even with quantized loops the pickups will half anything over 160something(162?) and double anything under 80something…
Have not reported it, I say feature request/bug fix/whatever you wanna call it…
Not sure about flex, I think it has to do with time stretch always enabled for PU’s…