Octatrack plus what synth?

If I would have to remove all but one synth, I would stay with my Virus TI2, because I like to have more then one midi track running.

4 Likes

Digitone.
I have one. And octatrack. It is awesome.

9 Likes

Yeah, my one synth would definitely need to be multi-midi.

A Nord Rack 2 if you want something cheap and knob per function. Very fun combo with the OT!

4 Likes

Digitone and / or Micromonsta 2

6 Likes

There is a lot of merit in rotating what’s attached on a regular basis.

Have you seen this thread?

Great attempt to build something! But I could neither live with that wooden box, not with that tiny screen and that Virus with so few knobs :wink: if it has to be transportable, Digitone or Micromonsta maybe.

Another vote for Digitone from me. DN being fed OT’s midi arp is a thing of beauty. Plus you can sample some pretty decent drums out of the DN.

2 Likes

+1 this is my favorite Elektron combo!

Previously on Elektronauts:
https://www.elektronauts.com/search?q=multitimbral%20synth%20with%20Octatrack

8 Likes

nord lead 2/2x/3
access virus
microwave XT

the new korg OPsix would probably be fun as well.

the nords are great because it’s so easy to map velocity to morph any/all the controls on the front panel to make for really dynamic sequences.

but any multi timbral synth you like would go well w/the OT.

you could also go w/a monosynth + a rack mount rompler. just get a midi splitter.

OT works well with anything really. it’s such a nice sequencer for external synths.

2 Likes

Nord Rack!

or a 6Ux120hp modular and a pair of CV.OCDs :dark_sunglasses:

3 Likes

I currently have a Nord micro modular and an 0-Coast plugged into the 0T, what are the odds?

1 Like

Depends what you want to do and if FM is within your consideration, but I am loving the OT + Preen FM3 combination. Still a few bugs to iron out in the FM3 firmware but Xavier is pretty quick with the updates. The FM2 with the new DAC chip also a great little synth.

Having said that, I also loved the OT + 0coast combo. And the OT + Blofeld combo. Frankly, OT + simple DIY sine wave tone generator wasn’t too bad either. Or just a cable plugged in to the inputs with nothing connected at the other end will do.

7 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

Before 1.40, OT was already capable to be an 8 voices wavetable synth. Requires an extra midi processor for polyphony.

With 1.40 you can extend notes range, depending on slots used, up to 128 notes. A different pitch per note loaded on slots, wavetable samples loaded…

4 Likes

Haha , so even the cable is redundant now.

Maybe have a look to the Micro Monsta 2, there’s a thread where people seems pretty happy of it. Just reading it i felt GASing even though i am very hard to go for buying gear.

1 Like

What synth would that be for you?

For me, eh?

I’ll probably have my Matriarch, Pro-1 and MC-101 take turns partnering with the OT.

When Pro-1 is the partner, I have OT’s onboard envelopes and stuff available for additional compensation for lack of MIDI velocity support on the Pro-1.

MC-101 has some issues documented on the appropriate thread here. I think I can use the OT to compensate but i’ll have to discover the issues for myself, because what’s a roadblock for some, might be an opportunity to explore a different route.

Matriarch will probably be the last to partner because it’s a complicated beast in its own right. Volca FM might hop ahead of it in line.

2 Likes