Octatrack out of the box

You’re telling me… It’s by far my favorite electronic device to use but I have a bit of OCD…

Aside from my OCD there’s a chance it could affect resale which is pretty shitty IMO especially when the inevitable MKIII is released, or I’d be having a few months of downtime + down some cash for shipping sending it to Elektron for repair…

Good plan. I’ve gone to the seller first but I never thought of that.

Question - Is it bricked until it can see a CF card? I’ve not had chance to plug it in yet.

DEMO MODE

While in this mode the Octatrack will be able to play back a set of 16 demo patterns without
needing to have a Compact Flash card inserted. Demo mode is a great way to get
acquainted with the basics of the Octatrack. Note that you can not save any changes made
to the sounds or patterns while in demo mode.

Make sure no Compact Flash card is inserted. Switch on the Octatrack while keeping the
[ENTER/YES] button pressed. The LCD screen will state that demo mode is being
entered.

3 Likes

Many thanks! I’ll be digging in after dinner!

1 Like

No, it isn’t bricked until it a CF card is inserted.

Just hold [YES] and turn it on and it starts in demo mode where you can play around with a few patterns and samples.

You can find more details on Page 22 of the manual.

1 Like

Don’t eat the Octatrack! I know it’s not in the manual but… don’t.

3 Likes

Eat the manual instead.

2 Likes

Nom Nom Nom…

Well I just turned it on in demo mode, headphones on, volume up and pattern 1 selected. Pressed play and I’m in early 80’s Brit Jazz Funk heaven! That’s got to be some sort of good omen???

It’s the fastest way of absorbing its content and becoming one with the Octatrack.

3 Likes

Being a Jazz Funk fan?:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I sleep with the OT manual under my pillow to learn through osmosis…

4 Likes

Remove the pillow for maximum effect :smiley:

3 Likes

I’ve thought about it but seems a bit dangerous… :grin:
Possible mental overload, worried I’ll only speak Octatrack and not be able to communicate about general living. Point to my stomach and mutter “amp vol at 0” when I’m hungry and stuff like that…:joy:

2 Likes

I sleep with my OT.

You do worth reading OT manual for the next jilted generation :slight_smile:

1 Like

MKII demo also has also that drum loop?
You can begin to mangle it in demo mode…

4 Likes

Raised a ticket with Elektron support yesterday and they got back to me last night confirming they’re sending me a CF card and guide. Thanks again!

1 Like

You’re fine with the strange protrusions around the screen? I don’t think it’ll damage the device at all but I can’t help to be worried :no_mouth:

Without opening it up I’m fairly sure the bumps are the spot welds for the stand-off’s that hold the PCB/display (two above and two below). Maybe the spot welding has deformed the front panel (I’ve seen that before) and rather than ‘flatten’ the weld or grind it back they’ve just primed/painted the panel.

Others with access to an older OT may be able to confirm but I’d suggest that if the front panel was of a thicker gauge of steel those deformities would either not be there or be greatly reduced.

I doubt very much that the lumps are due to anything inside the unit fouling on the front panel and ‘pushing’ the panel outwards; the force needed to deform the panel would be very high indeed, much more than the PCB/internals would withstand.

As I mentioned earlier it looks like they have reduced costs in the manufacture of the case. Maybe there’re looking to move to an OT MK3 and are trying to save money with the current OT builds? Or freeing up development resources for other projects such as the Model : Samples. Either way it doesn’t smack of ‘premium’ which is disappointing on a +£1000 instrument. My verdict? Must do better, especially at this price point. My AR2 is leagues ahead in terms of build quality and the cheaper Digitone is finished to a higher standard that this OT2.

Yea, I’ve gone through the Digitakt, Digitone, Analog Four MKII, and Octatrack MKII… So far the OT MKII felt the least tank-link… It’s something about the material combined with its rectangular shape compared to the tilted curved shape of the Rytm and A4, although I haven’t used the Rytm ever. The Digitone and Digitakt have what’s likely the same material but it’s coated and feels really nice.

1 Like