Octatrack OS 1.40A: bug reports

Are there known bugs with certain trigs not playing on plays free tracks? I’m having an issue where sometimes one of the trigs just play out, then if I stop the whole pattern and trig the track on its own it’ll work again.

Dunno if there’s something I haven’t thought of or that I’m unaware of but it really seems like some buggy behaviour to me.

Ok I think I’ve figured it out, it seems to happen when the master track length in the scale menu is set to something other than infinite, e.g. 64. So when the main sequencer is running and it restarts if a trig happens to rest on that restart point it won’t play.

As I understood it plays free was supposed to disconnect that track’s sequence from the main sequencer, so is this intended behaviour or no?

Seems i found a UI bug in MKI 1.40A possibly MKII as well.
reproduce:

1. press FUNC+MIDI to select part
  2. release FUNC and MIDI , part selector awaits arrow keys to choose, instead to choose do…
  3. press FUNC+DOWN, EditModes appear to choose
  4. release FUNC
  5. BUG: you should be stuck in Editmode list, Arrow-keys are not responsive.
  6. FIX: hit FUNC again (yet still it is a UI bug)

Arranger Mode Off / Arranger Mode On - notice the scrambled sound.
Deactivated time stretching for this track, not scrambled anymore. (But also not time stretched. Not that I’m a fan.)

Exactly the same tempo ?
Can’t hear at the moment, bad connection.

edit

Edit : yes, noticeable loss.
I bet for a tempo variation, even slight.
For information, I made phase opposition tests, no loss with Timestretch on at the same tempo. Same if pitched accordingly to a tempo change like pitch +12 doubled tempo, or pitch +7, tempo ×1.5. So for better results, I like to pitch to the closest theoretical pitch if possible.

I also like OT Timestretch fx using RATE=TSTR, almost freezing the sound…

Before a “recent” update, tempo was global only. I don’t know if it can be related to the issue you encountered. I’d double check tempo settings, in arranger, and compare with tempo set as per pattern vs global…

(So you finally kept OT, or bought another one ? :content:)

I’ll check later, no difference was intended …

Back then it was under the lens of a Sampler. I did not keep it. Now under the lens of a Midi Sequencer and Controller, but failed for me too and is on the way out :frowning:

1 Like

I just checked: No tempo change (respectively, Tempo field in the Arranger is empty).

Also, just had Parser Error and the project was empty. Luckily I keep making incremental copies, so nothing was actually lost for me :wink:

1 Like

What about the lens of sound design ? I am sure you’d find unexpected things ! :content:

(I implied that with “Sampler”, but I see that’s written misunderstandable.)

1 Like

(Appart from MD which inspired OT, I don’t know hardware samplers allowing recordings “realtime” audio processing (SRC / Playback parameters), 8 recorders trigged by the sequencer, recording feedback, + fx sequencing in the feedback loop, possible morphing of 250 parameters…)

Originally I wanted to ask if this behaviour is on the Arranger Mode normal: Arranger Tips - #114 by Jeanne

Now that it is established that it is unfortunately normal, there’s still the bug that mute and unmute in Arranger mode is unreliable:

Video where I had to hold my iPad with one hand. Super primivite project with one-shots, not loops.

as one can see, muting and unmuting while the row plays does nothing, until i hit stop-play. That is contrary to Song Mode on the Digis (and A4). But that does seem to be unfortunately normal for Octatrack.

But I could catch the unreliability only in the beginning of the video: One can see that it is already stopped, I unmute two tracks, hit play (all very slowly) and the unmuted track don’t play even though there’s a lot of time between the button presses. And this happens a lot of times.

I just gave it a try, mutes are applied at the beginning of the pattern. Forgot that.

As you’re muting fast and stop/play without waiting the beginning of the pattern I can’t tell what’s happening…

I’m extra slow for the video, and on the Digis I don’t have to wait for anything. Hence why I’ll stick with my Digitakt (and check out Hapax for midi sequencing with ratchets and tuplets) because I want to make music, not wait for something :wink:

But about the buggy/unreliable behaviour, in my video it’s only at the very beginning (demonstration effect grrrr).

You see that the Sequencer is stopped, I unmute Track 2 and 3, hit play - but Tracks 2 and 3 do not play. Then I press stop-play and then they do play.

It’s really unfortunate that the midi arp isn’t in the digis. To me the arranger on the OT is deep but meant to be more methodical in how you “arrange”, or it can help a live set by navigating through all the patterns in a project. Song mode really feels like a simple tracker that you can fly around and build up a whole track, it’s almost a performance in itself

3 Likes

:content:

Ok I get it now. Mute state isn’t taken in account till pattern loops. Just be patient. :content:
Buggy indeed but Arranger mutes aren’t made for that, not live friendly for sure. It could have been a workaround to avoid default mutes audio cut, but…no.
You have to wait the beginning of next pattern, or pattern loop.

I think you should. I’d like to see you doing crazy things with OT, but I see what you mean, you use a lot of gear and I guess you have no time to dive in OT weirdness, and if you’re not interested in its strengths I mentionned above…sell it.

Btw @Jeanne I’d be honored to buy yours, pm me if you wish…

2 Likes

Yeah, us OT nerds would love to see a dissonance witchcraft session on our beloved box of fun. So I just ordered some of these so I could put them on and pretend!

3 Likes

Nice socks, never tried to play with my feet, good idea ! :pl:

1 Like

Crossfader between your toes is something I don’t think anyone wants to see, well at least get a pedicure before filming :rofl:

1 Like

Okay, I just tested that, but that doesn’t work either. It loops and loops and the new mute state is not taken into account until I press at least stop-play.

Well, with my short-cut (stop-play-stop-play), I don’t have to wait :wink: Still, additional button presses subtract micro time from actual making music and add up …

One thing I like are that the mute states are not reset when I change which pattern is playing in a Row. That’s something that’s getting on my nerves on the Digis. Also love the auto-scroll …

Love to, but it’s just on loan :wink:

1 Like

While you have it - if you haven’t tried this, you might like:

2 Likes