Octatrack OS 1.40A: bug reports

If you assign a sample to a record buffer, it just means that’s your default sample; when you boot up the OT that will be the sample in the buffer, and any saved sample attributes (slices, gain, loop) will be loaded along with it. You can record over the sample just like an empty record buffer.

The buffer will retain the name of the sample; this can be useful when saving multiple related samples (or you can copy a sample name with FUNC + PLAY). You can use REVERT TO SAVED FILE to get back the original sample you assigned, and CLEAR SLOT to wipe the buffer.

4 Likes

Found a funny one today, using AED to copy paste selection, after a few tries (MK2) of copying then pasting the right input LED for REC3 lit yellow.

Can anyone reproduce?

Pickup machine bug

Bug report, mitigation and reproduction steps:

Previous similar mentions to the same issue here:

1 Like

Encountered some strange behaviour when doing the transition trick between banks earlier today.

Wondering if anyone’s ever seen something similar? I’ve searched the forum for similar bug reports or issues but haven’t found something exactly the same.

Repro

Device Octatrack MK1
Firmware 1.40a

Start on A05 Part B 140BPM (tempo per pattern selected), record master to T7 recorder buffer and use Scene B where all tracks are muted apart from T7 and master (doing so called transition trick).

Change from A05 Part B to B01 Part A staying on Scene B which has the same parameters locked as in A05 Part B. T7 again has a playback trig on step 1 set to playback recorder buffer 7 which is the same as in A05 part B.

On both A05 part B and B01 part A T7 has timestretch set to auto and the T7 recorder buffer has timestretch set to normal in AED. Both A05 and B01 are set to 64 step pattern length with a master length of 64 steps.

Expected behaviour:
Once changed successfully to B01 Part A, T7 recorder buffer will play synced to the new tempo of 145bpm for a full 4 bars (64 steps) and continue looping.

Observed behavior:
Case 1
With B01 part A playing, playback of recorder buffer 7 on T7 is not tempo synced and seems to playing back at a faster tempo than 145BPM.

Case 2
I attempted to repro this but with both A05 and B01 tempos to 140BPM and timestretch on both T7s set to off. Under this circumstance I observed a different behaviour of T7 playback on B01. This time the 140BPM 64 step loop recorded to recorder buffer 7 seemed playback at a length of about 56 steps.

In both cases stopping the playback by pressing stop and pressing play again made the playback of B01 part B operate as expected.

It’s worth noting that I’m streaming long ~60mb samples via static machines on T1 - T6. When changing banks the disk memory LED is orange and flickering.

Edit: additional info, when changing from A05 to B01 (with digitakt connected to Octatrack midi out and receiving clock, transport and prgm change) digitakt reads 120BPM whilst octatrack reads 140BPM!

2 Likes

Hi all, I just got a mk2 after a long time using the mk1. Having some weird crossfader behavior.
If I lock a value to scene B, it “reaches” that scene at the middle of the fader instead of the right side of the fader. For instance, if I reduce a track’s playback rate to 0 on scene B, it reaches 0 in the middle of the fader, as opposed to the right. The right half of the fader doesn’t seem do anything at all.

Anyone else having this behavior? Is this a setting somewhere? I’ve never seen this behavior on my mk1.

What is the graphic showing? If it is showing fully left or fully right when the fader is not then you should recalibrate it.

4 Likes

Brilliant! Calibrating the scene fader in test mode worked. Thanks so much for the quick and helpful reply.

3 Likes

When MIDI note map is set to delay control, it’s possible to lock the delay forever.
This can only be fixed by swapping the delay with another effect.

To reproduce:

• Enable the MIDI channel for one of the audio tracks and set note map to delay control.
  • Set delay to lock so it works with delay control.
  • Send note on to audio track to enable delay.
  • Don’t send note off.
  • Send same note on again.
  • Delay is now locked to enabled, no matter how many times you send a note off, it won’t disable.

edit:
I want to add that visually there seems to be nothing wrong, but a locked delay is clearly audible of course.
If you send the same note on/off for the delay control, the trig keys and display indicate that the delay gets enabled/disabled, but it actually never disables.
Changing the settings of the delay doesn’t help either, it has to be swapped out to fix.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

does anyone else know how to solve this problem?

When I press [FUNC] + [REC] to access the Rec Edit menu, the PROJ menu randomly appears.

Here is a video. Can reproduce every time. Running OS 1.40A

Elektron confirmed already last year that this may happen on some devices (with varying shortcuts and menus). But there is still no fix available.

See also:

btw: are you really running 1.40 or 1.40A?

1 Like

You could argue that omitting a note off is not standard behavior. Similar thing happens with hung notes on other synths…

Did you try ‘all notes off’ (CC 123)?

I was going to say, if you only have to swap the effect out that’s pretty good because most gear I have needs at least an all-notes-off to fix it when this happens, but it usually takes a power cycle.

1 Like

1.40A Thank you for the clarification

> Encountered some strange behaviour when doing the transition trick between banks earlier today.
> 
> Wondering if anyone’s ever seen something similar? I’ve searched the forum for similar bug reports or issues but haven’t found something exactly the same.
> 
> **Repro**
> 
> **Device** Octatrack MK1
> **Firmware** 1.40a
> 
> Start on A05 Part B 140BPM (tempo per pattern selected), record master to T7 recorder buffer and use Scene B where all tracks are muted apart from T7 and master (doing so called transition trick).
> 
> Change from A05 Part B to B01 Part A staying on Scene B which has the same parameters locked as in A05 Part B. T7 again has a playback trig on step 1 set to playback recorder buffer 7 which is the same as in A05 part B.
> 
> On both A05 part B and B01 part A T7 has timestretch set to auto and the T7 recorder buffer has timestretch set to normal in AED. Both A05 and B01 are set to 64 step pattern length with a master length of 64 steps.
> 
> **Expected behaviour:**
> Once changed successfully to B01 Part A, T7 recorder buffer will play synced to the new tempo of 145bpm for a full 4 bars (64 steps) and continue looping.
> 
> **Observed behavior:**
> Case 1
> With B01 part A playing, playback of recorder buffer 7 on T7 is not tempo synced and seems to playing back at a faster tempo than 145BPM.
> 
> Case 2
> I attempted to repro this but with both A05 and B01 tempos to 140BPM and timestretch on both T7s set to off. Under this circumstance I observed a different behaviour of T7 playback on B01. This time the 140BPM 64 step loop recorded to recorder buffer 7 seemed playback at a length of about 56 steps.
> 
> In both cases stopping the playback by pressing stop and pressing play again made the playback of B01 part B operate as expected.
> 
> It’s worth noting that I’m streaming long ~60mb samples via static machines on T1 - T6. When changing banks the disk memory LED is orange and flickering.
> 
> Edit: additional info, when changing from A05 to B01 (with digitakt connected to Octatrack midi out and receiving clock, transport and prgm change) digitakt reads 120BPM whilst octatrack reads 140BPM!

same problem here.
My temporarily solution : avoid any rythmic sounds on the faulty pattern, changing to the next pattern to make the right tempo come back

1 Like

Anybody succeeded to use correctly the Loop point (L in TRIM page, AED)?
It works with AED preview, not with a Flex…

Can someone confirm the following bug:
Load a sample into flex machine, set to Chromatic mode, play button 6 and 13 together.
Unexpected behavior - it will glitch indefinitely.
Won’t happen if any two other button played together, it will pick only one of them.

Managed to trigger a crash yesterday with tempo per pattern in the arranger.

Threw an error with a null pointer, I think what happened was an unsaved project didn’t have a “saved” tempo so when reverting a pattern from a tempo, say 200 in the arranger row 000, to “pattern tempo” in arranger row 001 caused this null pointer. It happened reliably every time I ran the song arrangement until I tweaked the tempo on row 001 to a fixed tempo, 115, rather than “pattern”.

I’ll try and replicate it tonight and nab the error log. I think I’ve seen mentions of this before elsewhere, possibly in this thread further up.

I’ll check if saving the pattern fixes this null reference.

Well, I’m not sure if this was an issue or addressed with the 1.40a update. Or if I may just have some trouble shooting left to do?

However I am having an issue in which I have a sample loaded. A one shot snare. It will preview when I’m going through my samples at full volume, however once loaded it doesn’t playback at full volume. I loaded a few other samples and 1 out of 3 played back at full volume & the others were much lower once loaded as well.

I surfed through the menu’s that I could think of, master volume, amp, checked if either of the efx were doing something. And I don’t know if I missed something or if it’s a bug since 1 sample did preview and playback once loaded at it’s full volume.

Anyone else have this happen? Maybe I just didn’t recall a menu setting that I need to check or something? Thanks to anyone who has any idea or if this is a known bug.

Bug on 1.40A

how to reproduce it:

• create a new project/pattern (should be no triggs on the sequencer)
  • plug in a midi keyboard into the OT MIDI IN
  • set Track 1 to THRU, set all inputs to nothing ("-") on that machine.
  • send stereo audio into the A B input.
  • enter a note from the 2 octaves of the keyboard corresponding to Chromatic trigs (notes 72 to 96)

Result:

• A+B plays on that TRACK after triggering notes from the keyboard, even though there is no input selected on that THRU machine.

This also happens:

• After triggering a keyboard note (long REL), when entering a trig on the OT (sequencer or trig buttons) the sound stops abruptly, even with a click.
  • If you change the input on the THRU machine to A B to hear the incoming audio played stereo, triggered by the OT. After pressing again on the keyboard the sound turns mono, and then when the OT triggered again the sound turns stereo again. Like switching between A+B and A B.

reproduced also by @sezare56

1 Like

I suspect this to be related to the way Pitch is changed by notes with other machines…