Octatrack or Digitakt - no computer setup

I had a DT, loved it, but still upgraded to the OT, and I’m glad I did.

Here are what I consider the most important differences:

• for Digitakt:
    -faster to learn and use
    -crisper sound
    -more octaves
    -better as a synth (using single-cycle waveforms), repitching algorithm is very nice. Also great for repitching eg sampled bells, percussion…
    -has Overbridge, very useful for recording

• for Octatrack:
    -more effects
    -more storage
    -great flexibility with parts/scenes/tracks (this is where the confusion comes in, but also the power…)
    -can use as a mixer. Having a master track w/FX is good for live too.
    -slices
    -cool live recording/looping capabilities which may or may not be important depending on your musical goals

I’d argue that the OT is superior, especially since you have synths to sequence/sample.
BUT you have to go in with the knowledge that it takes some time to learn the OT, that it has many many possible workflows, and it might be a long time before you work out the best way for you to use it. I’m still doing that myself after 6months of OT ownership. It takes dedication and practice to get it sounding good and to have enough muscle memory to use it fluently.

ps. aesthetically I find the OT mk1 most attractive. but the DT feels really good to use, pleasing to touch…

2 Likes

hey, I was wondering to what extent you find this limiting on the octatrack compared to the digitakt? ive read there are kind of workarounds (speeding up I think) but not any that work too well

You can get good results by pitching things way up or down past the initial range on the DT, so I do miss it for things like guitar-ish plucks and also using SCWs. I haven’t found a good workaround.

But: I think this is less important if you have a decent synth. If you’re using the OT for percussion, longer loops, etc., you’re unlikely to want to repitch very far. Overall the trade-off is worthwhile.

1 Like

the OT is vastly superior really. trickier to get to grips with but once it clicks, oh boy.
DT is a breeze to get working with but it is very limited, comparatively. its plenty of fun initially, but the limits become a frustration in my experience. sort of the opposite of the OT :smile:
Though if pure simplicity is what youre after, the DT shines.

if getting an OT id go for the mk2 as the extra buttons make it much more user friendly.

5 Likes

Personally I use synths for synthwork. Using samples for that kind of thing just never sounds right to my ears.

Even abletons sampler which is pretty good, you can hear aliasing. Synths dont do that.

Use synths for things samplers cant do, use samplers for things synths cant do.

Simple.

1 Like

No, this again! :scream:
Maybe I’d have a lot of fun with Excel…:thinking:
Octatrack by @Mistercharlie! :wink: :
spreadsheet-crazy

DT : 2 octaves up, 2 octaves down
OT : 1 octave up, 1 octave down

Workarounds :
You can use rate additionally, so you can go up to 7 octaves down.
You can resample pitched up / down on several octaves, slice, and get up to 2x64 octaves ! :loopy:

5 Likes

DT very good and immediate, nice sound, mono samples, limited sample time, no song mode.

OT much deeper and more flexible, nice sound (assuming you get a handle on its gain settings, and turn off timestretch) almost unlimited sample time when using statics, very powerful, stereo samples, song mode, much less immediate if you are inexperienced in its operation, but fine otherwise.

I have both and use the OT much more, I will almost certainly sell my DT when I re-arrange my gear.

4 Likes

sorry if this is a dense question but can you explain how this works ? is it like speeding up to pitch up or am I thinking of something else

Something I find interesting, from personal preference, is that when watching YouTube I tend to enjoy DT videos/tracks much more than OT examples (Max Marco being the exception) Even though I agree that on paper and from personal use that the OT is superior.

@dustmotes is king on the DT.
Adore @boboter too. (Jogging House)
@defenestration (Max Marco) is king on the OT

6 Likes

That is why I just upgraded. Design sucks, already miss my old one. But the UI/UX is so much better on the MKII.
Maybe whennwarranty is over, I’ll repaint or vynil-cover the cover plate. The red-black aesthetic of the old machines was thinkpad-like, I like Thinkpads :wink:

3 Likes

from what I read I would say Octatrack for sure!!
Go for mk1. I first bought the mk2, but sold it and bought the mk1. couldn’t be happier :slight_smile:
I don’t miss the extra buttons at all, and the screen is bigger. plus it doesn’t look like a christmas tree, which really bothered me on a dark stage.

one thing to consider is the better balanced inputs on the mk2, if you do a lot of sampling. I don’t know how big the difference is, I prepare all my audio on the computer. but apart from that, mk1 baby yeah

2 Likes

:pray:t2:

I went through the same decision process, DT vs OT. According to a pros/cons list, OT was the clear winner. Then I watched a few hours of tutorial videos for each. I ended up buying a DT.

Seriously, take the time to watch OT tutorials. If you’re not put off by the complexity, UI, and administrative overhead to do everything, it’s a seriously cool machine. From the perspective of this non-owner, I see OT as much more a performing tool than a jamming/writing tool.

Pete

2 Likes

They are, aren’t they :smile:
I hate Thinkpads. :wink:

Muting internal tracks on the OT was a deal breaker for me. The FX are inserts so if you mute a channel with reverb, it just cuts everything off. Not very natural.

But it’s much more a sound creation/sample destroyer than the DT.

But with the OT, you loss flexibility to work with a computer if you decide to go that route in the future. The DT has Overbridge. Which is pretty cool.

1 Like

watching hours of youtube and observe workflow is great, and it is a seriously cool machine indeed :slight_smile: But you will always watch these videos through beginners eyes.

The OT has a bigger learning curve than the DT, but after the initial few WTF’s, when you get used to the workflow, it is not nearly as complicated as the idea you get when watching those videos.
Unless you want to start off with all those crazy and complex tricks you can do…

I do what I need to get done in the OT with the same ease as what I need from the DT, which are 2 different things…

2 Likes

I got DT first and shortly (in 2 months) ordered OT, because of sampling limitations. On DT you can’t do live sampling and mangling, also on DT you don’t have slices (this was big for me). You can work around those limitations on DT but its not like having slices :slight_smile: And thats just the tip of the iceberg (fader, midi arp, lots of fx to choose from, 3 LFOs per track, 8 record buffers allways available, and so on)

2 Likes

120 equal length slices are possible with DT / AR.

and it’s possible to “play” slices with keys on one track?

DT / AR don’t have Slice nor Slot mode.
AR can assign Velocity to Start.
Possible with midi loopback and a midi processor.