Octatrack not loading correct samples on track trigs when switching banks

I think that’s true, but one never knows… I have experienced the same behaviour recently (switching machines on the same track, using a different part for subsequent patterns, and the sample loaded in the previous part still in the play-buffer. I don’t remember what I did (I remember checking the AED and was able to observe the actual reload when restarting the sequence). It was not a crucial event at that particular moment so I didn’t pay that much attention but I noted the event on my WTF list. BTW, I was NOT in plays-free mode for that track.

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate all the help!

I did try the silence tracks option but the OT would still trigger the previous sample on the first press regardless of whether I stopped the sample before switching or switched with the sample still playing. It also happens to each plays free track separately, meaning I will have to double trig each individual track to get it to play the right sample in the bank we’re in.

The dummy trigger method suggested worked like a charm and the OT now plays the correct samples in the correct banks! Thank you so much!

1 Like

Strange, that you need double trigger…but If you don´t want to use microtiming you can use Arrangers mute commands.
Everytime you switch to a new bank, set up one row in the Arranger to mute all tracks in the first pattern and then let the Arranger trigger the pattern normally on the next row (use pattern length to shorten the pattern so it doesn´t have to play through it´s full length or manually select the next row).

Should work. :slight_smile:

Or just microtime all trigs on the first pattern on step 1, so it wouldn´t make a difference. That´s actually much easier lol

That’s a great suggestion as well! I have a couple of tracks with multiple triggers on them where placing a dummy would not be ideal so good to know there are other work arounds :slight_smile:

That’s cool but I still believe this shouldn’t happen…

1 Like

Yep, it´s quite strange. Also the behaviour appears to be quite consistent, which is odd.

Does this also happens when no sample plays on a track (loop=off, amp hold/release shorter than the track length) and you switch to a new bank?
Any difference between static machines and flex?

Nice to see a theoretical idea works in practise. That’s one of the things I like about the OT: even if it doesn’t work as you want you can find ways around …

4 Likes

I could try this call if you didn’t:

What would happen if you between songs manually changed Bank/Part and performed multiple [Stop] presses?

2 Likes

I was thinking of a short dummy pattern trigging the new part machines silently, without play free tracks. Is that what you mean?

Exactly. That‘s what I meant :slight_smile:
I didn’t think about that he uses plays free tracks, though.
But that‘s no problem, dummy patterns could be set to normal playback (plays free off) while all other have plays free activated, so after the dummy pattern the arranger changes to the next pattern and he can start tracks manually.

1 Like

This bug is Plays Free related. It doesn’t happen otherwise.

The arranger mutes thing is a good idea but, as arranger mutes differently, I suspect it wouldn’t trig samples and load machines.
Silent Plocked trigs, silent scenes eventually.
Edit : Empty pattern

For looped samples with 1 trig, it is possible to use trigs 9-16 to trigger the sample quantize or not (Track + Stop to stop, also Track + Play to play, quantize in Attributes).

For sequences, the dummy first trig seems a good workaround, but, using arranger anyway, I think I’d use a dummy pattern.

1 Like

I confirm with mutes in arranger it doesn’t trig part changes.

But playing a muted pattern made it work!
If you load an empty pattern of the same bank (and same part), the bug disappear, the first trig plays the right sample with Play Free.

Bank A Pattern 01 Plays Free > OK
Bank B Pattern 02 Plays Free > don’t work

Bank A Pattern 01 Plays Free > OK
Bank B Pattern 01 Empty Pattern
Bank B Pattern 02 Plays Free > OK

With such an empty pattern you should be able to keep previous pattern fx tails (no part change) so delay /reverbs can be used for transition.

2 Likes

I see. So this is a common bug?

Are bugs common you mean? :smile:

I didn’t know that one. Seems a bug.
Without Plays Free it works properly.

Btw writing this I had an idea and I think I just found a nicer workaround that seems to work:
SAMPLE LOCK the first trig! (Hold trig and turn Level knob to choose the right sample slot).
@Joshua_Adrian?

1 Like

Nah :yum:
I‘ve never heard or encountered such behaviour and the way you talked about that bug made it seem like it was well known^^

Let’s say I’m not surprised anymore when there’s something buggy with part changes.

2 Likes

I shouldn’t say that. I have had this exact behaviour before while NOT in plays free mode as I wrote some posts earlier. I’m not kidding, it was real, a couple of days ago, I went like “WTF??”, noted the event and moved on because I was in a hurry and focussing on some other part of the work that day (was working on my total recall set-up so I did lots of bank/pattern/part changes over midi trying to have every piece of gear to respond in a reliable way, battling with all the protocols, nrpn sequences and so forth). I’ll try to reproduce it but I’m pretty sure I can…

I should have said it shouldn’t happen. As I wrote above, not that surprising.

Try sample locks if it happen again!

1 Like

I tried sample locking the first trig however in this method the OT would still require me to double trigger to get the right sample out - the only difference now is that instead of playing the wrong sample on the first round it plays a silent pattern - still have to press it again to get the right sample to play

Damn. Strange it worked for me. I didn’t try with static machines though.
You can also try the empty pattern method I desfribed avove.

Is there silence between your songs?
Tempo changes?