Octatrack MKII info

If you look on the site, the grey is the same MKII as it’s always been with the larger Elektron logo.

While I agree that they are helpful, on the anniversary edition, they are a callback to the MKI.

Their absence on the Black MKII keeps the Black MKII equal to the simultaneously available Gray MKII. This presents a conundrum where Elektron is damned if they do, and damned if they don’t. If they put the red buttons on there, Anniversary and Gray owners will feel betrayed. If they don’t, it seems like they are purposefully omitting a useful UI decision.

Maybe folks who want the red but missed out on the anniversary edition could find someone with an Anniversary edition that wants to swap REC buttons?
Ya never know. I found a dude on Analog Heaven Hyperreal in 1999 that traded me his shadow-black Waldorf Microwave XT for my orange XT.
Then again there were 666 of those made, not 350.

Personally I think the whole anniversary edition in itself is a stretch. But then again, I’m not a collector so maybe I just don’t get that part.

I think it adds to the excitement of the brand, so its great for the company and great for the fans, but it’s definitely not for everyone.
The red bottom case MD and blue bottom case MMs were both Anniversary editions as well, IIRC. 50 of each?
So at least it has some precedence.

Can’t remember of the black Ninja Sidstation was an Anniversary product, but it was also limited to 50.

The cool thing is now we have 4 different visual versions of the OT. All running the same OS. You can pick which run is right for your budget, and not lose out on any major features. That’s good for the consumers and the fans alike.

3 Likes

@AdamJay 350 of both Red MD and Blue MnM. (Edit, you are right - only 50 were made)

5 Likes

Perhaps you are confused with the Octatrack’s 350?

I just googled “Red Machinedrum Anniversary 50” and got loads of results.
Googling “Red Machinedrum Anniversary 350” got none

The same thing happens with “Blue Monomachine Anniversary 50” searches vs “Blue Monomachine Anniversary 350”

1 Like

I really like the design. And I am glad that the red means recording buttons are black - otherwise it would be too hard to resist. So for now I am just fine with my MK1. :okej:

I know, that is super superficial, but I like these red buttons.

I am happy for all the AE owners. :cool: :elot:

Strange. From the photos it also seems to me the now regular black mk2 have a bit whiter text on copy, paste etc. than grey or ae. Maybe its just the photo. I would prefer that (especially as a beginner)

1 Like

Damn, you are right.

My favorite color

1 Like

Fun fact: black is not a color.

Yeah, I’m that guy.

6 Likes

I’m just not a fan of “if you are lucky and can afford it, we’ll give you red indicators for your recording buttons” :roll_eyes:

1 Like

That was the first metal song I’d ever heard. I was in middle school at the time and saw people wearing Metallica shirts. So I bought the And Justice for All cassette at the mall. And that was the first song on the album. Good album but the mix is horrible.

4 Likes

You are right about that, that mix IS horrible

1 Like

Sure it is. It’s the colour caused by absence of light. It has no hue, but it’s a colour.

6 Likes

Also stay away from the luxury goods and automative industry! It’s nothing but expensive red buttons, and limited editions! :wink:

1 Like

Just buy 3 red track buttons for the digitone

Glad I’ve got a grey one before they’re discontinued. But black mk2 would be my second favorite :wink:

2 Likes

There is no discontinuation in sight.