Octatrack MKII High Pitched Whine from Hardware Normal?

Just picked up an Octatrack MKII, I noticed a high pitch whine from the hardware, not really noticeable in practice. If I put my ear very close to the case I can hear it, or put it against the rear case to really hear it.

Is this normal? The MKI does not have this whine. Also tried the same power supply on the Digitakt and there is no whine what so ever there.

Note the audio out does not have any whine.

This guy with MKI has a lot of wine too ! :wink:
I hope there’s nothing wrong with your MKII.

4 Likes

Sounds like the ground is not properly connected to the metal case.
EDIT: If it’s not in the audio then it’s another issue. Since the power supply is external I can only imagine it’s coming from the display.

I thought maybe the display as well but the Digitakt also uses an OLED but is completely silent? The whine is not that audible just I tend to be quite sensitive to any noise once I perceive it.

2 Likes

Tried to record the whine but I’m not quite up to the task. Should be able to discern it wearing headphones when I pull the H2n away.

If it’s normal I have no qualms keeping it, if not I’d rather replace it.

Sorry man, I am very sensitive myself and know what it feels like to get new gear which whines )-’:

Do you still have the chance to return it (money back?) If yes, sent it back, get your refund and buy it somewhere else to get another model. It’s easier now than … let’s say in a few months, when you have to do it by warranty, sending the device in, explaining the problem, hoping that the tech guy hears it too, etc.

Good luck!

Thanks, I bought it new so I should be able to return it. If it’s normal then getting another one would just be the same. Think I will send Elektron support an email.

I own a MK2 and don’t noticed any whining. I’m not at home right now, but will check it this evening when i’m home again.

Much appreciated, just need someone to say they don’t hear it for me to return it. The most obvious way to check for the noise is to stick your ear to rear of the case.

The whine is not obvious with your zoom recording, in a noisy environment, moving too much, too quickly.
I clearly heard the cars…
Could you make another recording in better conditions?

Will try again tonight, is quite hard for the recorder to pick out as faint. Did you try headphones, might be easier for me hear it as I know what to listen for.

Yep, with good headphones, bad laptop phones out. Your place seems very noisy with that recording ! :smile:
Fridge ?

Think it’s from passing cars, will try to find a quieter environment :slight_smile: Need to up my field recording skills (have none).

Tried recording again with the mic as close to the case as possible. Sorry for the noise as mic gain set to full.

Had a response from Elektron, they can’t hear any noise from their unit but not sure how hard they tried. They don’t think it’s an issue if there isn’t any bleed into audio and said if the noise becomes worse or it starts to bleed, it can be sent in. Not sure I want to deal with that possibility in the future.

@karkwai sorry for the late reply. I guess i know what you mean. It’s true, i can hear that “whine” if i put my ear really close to the device, but it is extremly quiet and not noticable in a normal environment.

Cheers! Guess if it’s normal I’ll keep mine then :slight_smile:

I guess it is normal, sound of pure power. :grin:

2 Likes

They made too much tests. Early deafness.
They removed white noise waveform from upcoming DIGITONE, because they couldn’t hear it. :smile:

For next test, ask the police to stop the cars when you turn OT on. It is more noticeable when you turn it off indeed, but it wouldn’t bother me at all, with no audio out problems. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just got a brand spanking new octatrack mk2 and noticed the high pitch hardware whine aswell. just is OP described it. Anyone else experiencing this too?

I had mine replaced recently for a separate issue and unfortunately the replacement had this problem. It is with Elektron now but I think because it’s so new they will replace it again.

Only concern is that it’s a quality issue with newer models somehow. It’s a difficult one as I would imagine it’s something that’s probably easy to miss in testing, but is also a big issue for me at least.

The noise is super quiet but at a really horrible frequency right at the top of my hearing range. I could hear it constantly in the background while it was on if I was working on my computer or another piece of hardware. Fingers crossed the replacement that’s on its way doesn’t have the issue.

1 Like