Octatrack MKII freezing and emitting smoke

Maybe the Octatrack was just stressed. That’s a lot of work for a box that size. I can just picture the cross fader chain smoking cigs.

2 Likes

Could be ANYTHING, ants, coca cola, loose screw, bad cap, diode, gremlins…

cockroach shit kills so much more electronic devices than McDonalds gives diabetes to people…

Silly point im trying to make is…unless you know what you are doing, its best to NOT listen to this forum (or any other) on this issue! Thats the equivalent of asking google doctor how to naturally treat a brain tumor…

Switch it off, box it up, ship it to a professional, and chalk it up to being very much a part of what it means to own, and be responsible for hardware…

4 Likes

3 Likes

All electronics are filled with magic smoke, it’s how they work. If the magic smoke escapes, it stops working, or will soon after.

Kind of like how wheels only roll because there are hampsters inside. If they escape the wheel won’t roll anymore. Do you ever see any hampsters when you get a flat tire on your car? Exactly!

Seriously though:
My Sherlock instincts tell me that you bent a pin when you inserted your card. It may have shorted out on the frame or another pin. It’s a guess really.

If true,

Best case scenario is that you caused smoke from the sparks on the frame.

More likely scenario is that one of the IC’s burned out or began to burn out. Even if it works now, it may not work for long.

Up to you what you want to do. Take your chances, send it in, or get crazy and open it up to take a look? I recommend sending it in though if you can.

1 Like

I bet it is the smoke monster from LOST