Octatrack MKII freeze on loading operating system

I always look at the CF card and reader design and wonder why they didn’t make the reader female and the part you can walk to a store to easily replace male.

1 Like

Because like in real life male is more vulnerable than female.

Pins would be bent more easily during transportation if cards were male - unless they were shrouded.

As long as you don’t try to force them in at an angle you should never have any problems in my experience.

Clumsiness bends pins but at least Mr Clumsy could get a quick easy fix with pinned cards.

I don’t see any point of such a reply.
If you wish to contrebute do it in a positive way.
Try it, it feels really good to be good

That’s a reply to the post directly above mine, best to take it only as that.

Fare enough.
In Any case the pin system is problematic and very fragile apparently and not for nothing it is not the prefered system for most of the companyes in a need for ext memory. after looking closely on the mechanic side of it, it doesn’t take much for one of the pins to slightly move as the card slider is not accurate and very chilly made component.
It sums into money so probably it was chipper to handle from Elektron side due to previos board plan.
the user should be extra carefull wile sliding the card which is debatable if the manufacturer should make sure that the built quality will endure multiple and frequent use of inputs. an I mean normal use and not with a hammer.

To be fair to Elektron there is nothing wrong with the CF card slot, it is a proven format for many years on pro level and consumer equipment, the Octatracks card slot is very similar to the one on my old DSLR.

Asking why they don’t use SD card without the exact technical knowledge about how the various formats work and the internal workings of the Octatrack is based on speculation - but I think that streaming 8 stereo tracks direct from card would not be possible with SD card the way that it is implemented in the Octatrack firmware.

Card speed and capacity isn’t the issue, the way the data is read from the card is though, lets assume a 80mbs card speed for both SD and CF, the CF card will send the data down more lines than the SD card, for simplicity’s sake lets say the CF card uses 16 lines each with a speed of 5mbs, the SD card only uses 4 lines but at 20mbs each, the Octatrack does not need the 20mbs speed for each line, but it does need 16 lines of data at a time.

Of course this is only a speculative illustration on my part, anyone more qualified to chime in please feel free to correct, but I think the basic idea is correct.

2 Likes

ok, i have bent pins and due to my eagerness in trying to straighten em out, some snapped… pls tell me to swap the card reader isnt that big oif a deal??? would be absoulute madness if a $2000 unit can be completely ruined over a card being forced in for whatever reason… demo mode sucks,

According to Elektron: