Octatrack MKi vs MKii

Awesome. I’m ordering one early December.

I have both a DT and OT mk2, with no issues. My friend has a DT with no issues. I think most of the issues are a little overblown, where it seems like there are more “bad” units than good. I’m pretty sure that in reality, it’s a fairly small percentage that are bad. But people with issues are much more likely to post than people who have no issues and are completely happy jamming away

Edit: to add, and maybe state the obvious, elektron offers a fantastic 3 year warranty, so of course they will make it right with their customers who have units with issues.

3 Likes

I always put it down to the fact that happy customers rarely post on a forum, but an unhappy one will.
Certainly not discouraging fair complaint as it helps everyone if things need to be fixed, but forum campaigns about a product being ‘crippled with bugs’ can tend to be a little over-egged compared to the reality the silent majority experience.

3 Likes

DT, OT mk2 and A4 mk2 without a scratch here.

DT had some trouble in the beginning but it was sorted pretty fast, or at least fast enough for me… Only software related.
Oh, I noticed one button was a bit sticky, a corner would get a bit stuck by the faceplate. But it eroded just the little bit necessary for it to never stick anymore.

On OT, REC1 button had been missing (replaced by a MIDI button) but I was sent one and replacement was extremely easy and fast.

No hardware trouble on A4, only pure pleasure :smiley:

Totally think faulty units are not the majority of the real cases, only the majority of reported cases for obvious reasons : when the instrument has no Pb, you don’t usually stop playing to tell it to the internet.

Edit : very well put above :thup:

OT2 is fine. DT was not.

As strange as this sounds I’m worried that Im pretty much a little in love with my OT2. I dont use it any more than the prior 2 OT’s I had and got pissed off with and sold. But I have honest to god caught myself looking over at the OT when Im working from homme with a nice warm glow inside thinking about it. It’s ridiculous. Is something wrong with me?

When I do sit down with it, I am finding myself being a lot more productive/faster. I don’t think that’s purely down to the UI changes, maybe a mix of that and my attitude/application but had a blast last weekend sampling out of my computer (Maschine actually) and then building things on the OT2. I still wish it could act like a soundcard for my PC (just to remove cables and make life easier) but 1 month on and still not a hint of buyers remorse. Quite the opposite actually.

3 Likes

You (like me) spent an obscene amount of money on it, what do you expect. Let’s see how long it takes for the novelty to wear off.

1 Like

Just packed up my MK I, which will be posted shortly. Feels like betraying an old friend. :frowning:

3 Likes

Haha. I had very similar feeling when I ordered MKII. I just finally got faithful as I’ve already returned the MKII :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi there !
I watched Cuckoo comparison between OT and DT, and he said the DT was part of this new generation boxes with great effects, compared to the MK1 OT.
Did you guys notice a difference in effects quality (reverb delay etc) between OT MK1 and OT MK 2.
This is a pre buy question :slight_smile:
Many thanks

effects are the same on both OT models

3 Likes

OT MK 3 is much better. But it doesn’t exist yet. :slight_smile:

Yeah sorry about the typo, but the mk4will be worth the wait !!!

1 Like

I’m holding out for DPS-2!

1 Like

Yea, unfortunately. The reverbs are all shit. The other stuff is cool though. I really like the chorus especially. I got an Eventide Space to provide some proper reverb and then I use the other effects on the OT.

Same, my #1 complaint about the OT1 was the headroom on the inputs and the headroom has now doubled so it’s actually usable as a sampler now without the dynamics being crushed. Now I gotta relearn how to use this thing since I sold my last one about a year ago.

1 Like

I picked up the Space for the same reason :slight_smile: they sound great together.

The reverbs on OT can sound really great though they depend on the source material as well as proper settings more than a dedicated reverb effect device usually do.

After having a Space it’s hard to say great reverbs for Ot imho.
I prefer A4’s one, I’ll surely buy a Space again.

1 Like

Hi all !

I’m planning on adding an Elektron sampler to my setup (AR, A4, MD), the MPC Live is not for me.
I feel more attracted to the DT’s workflow and immediacy just by looking at videos, but the OT feels very powerful and flexible which might be better in the long run if it becomes the centerpiece of my setup. I also can get an OT mk1 for 750 euros, and the DT cannot be found under 500-550, not a huge difference as far as I’m concerned.

So, I’m almost set on an OT, but reading up on it, I found quite a few users who complain about the inputs. The ability to add OT’s effects to my “buses” sounds like a good idea, but if the power of my drum machines is lost to the OT’s inputs, it’s not worth it. For my setup (MD into AR into OT, making mainly techno), would that be an issue and if so, is it a show-stopper worth spending +/- 650 euros (OT mk1 is 750 second hand, mk2 is 1400) to fix ? The other differences (extra buttons, updated buttons and encoders, trig conditions, new screen) are not significant enough for me.

Thanks for your opinions !

The OT’s reverbs are functional (if you just need to prevent something from sounding too dry) and can sound decent enough but the Space is in a completely different league.

2 Likes