Octatrack MKi vs MKii

Anything on the market is higher fidelity than some of the best music ever made was recorded on. Read about how ‘kind of blue’ was recorded.
I’m all for fidelity, but not at the expense of productivity and have lost my way in the past pursuing those goals.

1 Like

Yip, I figure if it sounds ok now any enhancement will really tickle my nads.

Word

I record everything at 96k and my audio interface is by far the most expensive thing I own, I’m a borderline audiophile!:sweat_smile: hence the “Don’t get me wrong” part of the reply…
Just commenting on a funny thing that happens… That’s all…

@Anfim, we also typed at the same time so I didn’t even see your post about using an IPad interface, which I agree with…

1 Like

If I’m pushing a bunch of stuff into my mixer and taking xlrs into apogee duet then I’ll do 96k on the basis it’s a live take, no further farting about. I do like 96k tbh. But not for multi tracking which I hope never to do again. I’m fortunate no one gives a shit about my music!

Yeah, I am not that hung up on it but additional headroom is still important at the mixing stage. Better converters and a full warranty are keeping me on the fence right now.

Music should be recorded and produced in the absolute highest fidelity possible, regardless of the final format it will be played at.
I listen to music in my studio on fantastic monitors, not a shitty MP3 player.
Yes it may sometimes be mp3 that is playing, but there is still a huge difference in the sound quality between well recorded and poorly recorded audio when compressed down to mp3 format.
If you start with a pile of shit, you are going to have an even bigger pile by the time it gets to mp3.
For this reason it is actually even more important nowadays to produce in the highest audio quality to begin with.
But hey this debate has been done a million times over, so no point floggin a dead horse

1 Like

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Ha? This just got weird. You stated your thoughts, I stated mine?
This thread is about the OT so not really relevant regardless
Let’s move on shall we

Anyone have both and some free time to do a test? I saw an A/B Digitakt / OT playback test on here a few months ago. Something similar would be excellent. If the compressed audio on youtube reveals a difference then it matters to some.

About iPad output sounding rubbish and the absolute need for an ext soundcard…

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/ipad-pro-audio-quality.htm

(Disclaimer: I havent personally done any tests like this and cannot vouch for the accuracy of these findings)

You sure about that? I mean I can hear a diff in high freq response when I plug my 12MTK to the pad and use it as a soundcard in iOS but still…

1 Like

Hi all ! Been refreshing the mk1 OS update page compulsively in the last month on the elektron website…

This morning, it appears it has been changed: the « next OS update will be available soon » disappeared…

Seems like it’s coming up… or not !?

Can’t wait for cond trig on OT !

3 Likes

It is coming, but I think they changed the priorities to bugi fixing the 1.30 for the mk IIs perhaps? So might be a lil longer until the mk I will get the update… But I am still confident that its coming.

From his photography work I would vouch for Ken’s method generally.

I checked to see if the OT new firmware for the MK1 is out yet, and the “coming soon” notice has been removed from the Elektron site. Anyone know if we are still getting a new firmware for the MK1s still??? Seems kinda weird to remove the coming soon notice.

2 Likes

I don’t think we were supposed to even know about the update yet.
The trig conditions showed up on the specs for the OTmk2 Elektron page and we saw it, then Elektron reps came and confirmed.
Same kind of thing happened with all the mk2’s, retailers posted them on websites and we found them, then Elektron reps came in and confirmed.
I don’t think any of these announcements went as planned…

Seeing the state of the OTmk2 it probably needs more attention, and I imagine the mk1 update will come after they have that sorted. My guess is the firmwares are worked on together so mk2 trouble slows down mk1 upgrade, but just a guess…

The counterargument here is that because so much quality is lost i the final delivery format, you really can’t afford to lose anything at earlier stages of the production process because every little bit counts.

I mostly agree with that, but also what sounds good to me is usually not “high quality” in the technical, specs-on-paper sense. It’s more about being aware of the way sound gets colored by your equipment so that you can work with it rather than against it.

2 Likes

Sorry, I didn’t know this would cause any sort of debate…
I really was just laughing at something with no intended implications made to recording advice… :smiley:

4 Likes

No apologies needed, thank you for giving me an excuse to pontificate on things that I only kind of understand, and just generally have Strong Opinions.

2 Likes