Octatrack MKI Look & Feel vs MKII and MKII black

On my MKI if you press the encoder it shows the current value without changing it but it’s sensitive and might change just by slight turning movement while pressing it, maybe it’s even more sensitive on the MKII with the different encoders… :thinking:

Anyway, have you tried a different trig mode? Lately I’ve been rollin mostly on “Quick Mute”…

4 Likes

Will try this and let you know how it feels :+1:

1 Like

yeah in quick mute and delay control they show up as numbers, and I find myself in that mode alot unless im live recording in slice mode

1 Like

I prefer regular track mode but as I’d use Arranger in live conditions I have to get use to that display. Quick Mute would be a good one.

2 Likes

It definitely is unfortunately, the mkII encoders are too sensitive IMHO but the speed improvement is nice, I hope that the encoders and the page LEDs will be tweaked in the next firmware update as these are both a bit of a letdown on an otherwise lovely interface.

2 Likes

In fact the existing values on the DT can be displayed when the relevant page button (SRC, trg etc) is pressed & held.
No need to risk moving the sensitive pots :wink:

Yeap i like that on the DT, wish it would be the same for the OT…

( that was my point by the way if you read carefully :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Weird, having owned the DT and now the OT, I felt like the encoders on the OT were a luxurious upgrade. There’s something about the accuracy that makes it feel more organic.

1 Like

My mistake, perhaps I was replying to someone else.

1 Like

Am glad you talked about it ! It’s one thing that i wish elektron could do for the Octatrack…

Yea, I defo read it wrong.
The OT can’t do that? Damn! :neutral_face:
It’s so simple. @Elektron pls fix!

2 Likes

Just started noticing this happen on my MK2 (also happened on push 1 coating)

Do you know any way to get rid of this with out ruining the machine?

Cheers

I periodically clear the buttons with a cotton swab and some 91% isopropyl alcohol.

1 Like

Will try that, thanks.

FYI a bunch of the MKII issues mentioned in this thread are fixed in new firmware 1.4

So when the Limited edition was announced i was very close to ordering it (I own a mk2) Why? because of the small mk1 design details they added.

That made me realize just how much i love the mk1 design. The round buttons the simple LED´s and red details all over. It just makes me feel warm and fuzzy when i look at it!

So i just bought a mk1 in a very good condition för 550euro. Now i will find out how much of a mindfuck the slightly different key combos will screw me over;P

Anyone else feel the mk1 design is sexier?

I like all the designs, I think I prefer the round buttons with LEDs above them and the longevity of the LCD on the mk1, but the extra buttons on mk2 are great.

I had a mk1 for years then got mk2, I did not enjoy using the mk1 as much once I got used to the mk2 so I sold it. But that said most of the operations are the same, so it depends what feature you use a lot, I use AED a lot and on this the mk2 is better with the dedicated AED and more logical shortcuts, as well as the labelling. I don’t want to make a big deal out of it though as mk1 is still pretty easy once you are used to it, in your case I’d probably write down the shortcuts and keep them nearby until you remember them all.

1 Like

I’m biased I have the MKI and can’t afford a new OT! :content:

I really like OT AE design, but I wouldn’t pay more for something that sounds exactly the same. I’m really curious about the next black OT for next year.

I’d love to have black buttons and knobs on my MKI. Digitakt knobs are too long to clic to press/turn knobs properly!

Concerning buttons / leds, the MKII’s REC3 and its leds is really interesting. Otherwise, I’ve no problem with MKI combos, sometimes confusing Fn+Mixer (Project) and Mixer, not a big deal.

2 Likes

One of my main concerns with mk2 (and DN etc) is the rubberised coating on the buttons, I really hope it does not end up breaking down into that gooey mess as a lot of stuff does after some years.

Also I think that Oled screens are not as durable as LCD, that bothers me a bit too, I like to keep gear I like for years. I don’t mind doing repairs of course, but getting parts in the future is something that concerns me.

2 Likes

In my opinion the original dark trinity looks way better than all mk2 versions, be it grey or black versions.
Mk2 OT looks best of the mk2s cause they kept the form factor. I really don’t like the form and size of the new analogs.
I don’t like the design of the models either.
Digitone and takt on the other hand look slim and stylish.
MD and MnM are the best looking elektrons.

All my opinion of course, Unifono style guide

8 Likes