Octatrack mk2 vs Ableton sequencing

Hello?
I am seriously worried about OT MK2 and Ableton.
The purpose of purchasing OT MK2 is “portability”.
My live synthesizers are Peak, Nyx, and Minitaur.
So far I have used Ableton Live (MacBook, audio interface, Abtone Push 1).
But it was too heavy to carry all these machines.
So we are considering OT mk2 because we think of the simplest equipment configuration.

My question is the sequencer capability of OT mk2.

Aleton live has entered MIDI notes into the screen and controlled patches
OT mk2 is hardware, not software
Sequencing with keyboard and mouse is not possible.

I created and saved house music with OT mk2
I want to DJ it.

My purpose is only live performance.

If OT’s sequencing abilities are good

I plan to sell a MacBook, an audio interface, and a Push 1.

Can it be done as I thought?

Is not it difficult?

I am seriously worried … please help me.

There is no Elektron forum in my country.
Please understand that my English is somewhat lacking.

Thank you.

Ableton with push or a launch-pad does not compare well to an OT.

The purpose of the OT is to be very flexible at sound mangling and sequencing. This might fit to your DJing style, or not.

The midi-sequencer of the OT will control your synths perfectly for sure. We can also launch single samples at any time, be it by the audio-sequencer or manually. But whether the OT-ways of doing DJing or remixing supports your way, is hard to tell, because the OT is “special” … you should at least try a machine before you sell your setup :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed answer.

If you are planning to program the OT to do what Live does with your live sets you will have a difficult time. How do you plan to load your set into the OT? There are a lot of possibilities and to determine wether the OT would work for you, you need to think about what exactly you are trying to achieve. In any case, expect a steep learning curve.

1 Like

Sequencing in the OT is heaps of fun, maybe more so than using a mouse and midi notes. It’s almost like ‘performing’. But it comes with its quirks and pain. When you get the OT, you will create work, and you will lose work. Hours of it. It takes a while to understand the importance of saving recorder buffers and samples and your project. You will need to learn Plays Free mode for tracks, and how this works with the sequencer. However, if you plan to transfer tracks to the OT, then you will need a computer to do that. There’s a lot of information online for DJ and certain live remix and transitioning tricks. I will say this: dealing with a little more weight is far easier than changing your entire setup and learning a whole new way of working. You might do better to find a lighter laptop and audio interface, as a start. Otherwise, I would advise keeping your current setup, but adding the OT to it, and seeing how you get along with it.

1 Like

Just to switch the box … have you ever considered a MPC Live?

Would be in the same price range as the OT. There is enough midi connectivity for your synths, much space for music tracks and samples, a very good sequencer, and to play live on those pads and do some remixing is much fun.

AFAIK the MPC 2.x software should be much closer to Ableton then to OT.

1 Like

Thank you for answer
I also considered MPC Live.
But my three synthesizer outputs are four in total. Mono 2 Stereo 2
MPC Live can not accept my synthesizer’s voice.
The reason is not four in ports.
So I was considering OT.
Thank you.

Thank you for answer.
Also, the hardware seems to have limitations.
I will try to learn a little more.
Thank you.

Thank you for answer.
I think I need more study.
Thank you for answer.

Understand … but don’t you think that a small mixer might do the job much better?

In your list of synths you have quite analoge raw power with the Nyx and the Minitaur. I wouln’t recommend to send those through the OT, because I think, you will lose a lot of their sound quality, particularly at the bottom end. This is not intended to start an analog vs digital debate, but I think, a simple audio-mixer from Allen & Heath, Mackie or the like would give you a better live sound.